Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your First Quilt Block Ever? >

Your First Quilt Block Ever?

Your First Quilt Block Ever?

Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Default Your First Quilt Block Ever?

What quilt block is the first that you ever made?

Mine was a 9-patch variation in a baby quilt - I think it was called Kings Road - and I actually made it for my grandmother as lap quilt for when she was in her wheel chair. Sadly, the quilt was stolen when she passed away (she was living in an assisted living center and somebody just helped themselves...).

The funny thing is that looking back, I KNOW it wasn't all cotton! At the time (1989 and self-taught) I had no idea what I was doing, so I went to the local House of Fabrics (anybody remember them?) and just bought fabrics that looked good together. I remember I had rayons, polys, and cottons in the mixture.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Mine was a spider web star block......because I had no clue what I was doing, I let someone else pick the pattern (1st mistake, lol)......then I cut every piece out for the entire quilt before attempting to sew once block together (super duper mistake #2). Then while sewing the first block.....I sewed, ripped, screamed, pulled my hair and started this sequence all over multiple times, lol. But the only reason I finished the quilt was determination it wasn't going to win and I wasn't wasting all that fabric and time cutting the pieces......LOL I will never forget it!!
'
Old 12-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

My very first block was an Ohio star and I made a pillow out of it. I still have that pillow.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:57 PM

Actually over the Christmas vacation - my mom showed me a pillow I made for her years ago (about 25 yrs) - I don't even remember making it - it was a log cabin - surprising the block looked pretty good except my seams were starting to wear and unravel - and I used a ruffle around the pillow - I didn't finish off the ruffle - it had raw edges at the beginning and ending of the ruffle where it was attached to the pillow. I should have taken a pic.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Fun Thread! My first block was a Grandmothers Flower Garden. My mom and I were making a king size quilt for me. She sent the fabric, I pieced the 8 inch flowers in Florida and sent them back to her in Indiana. She assembled the blocks and finished it for me She used poly blend for the path and the borders (we didnt know not to mix) and I love it still! I have fabric in it from when I was a girl and when my daughter was a baby. My first block machine pieced was Ohio Star from Georgia Bonesteels first book, which I loved.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:34 PM

My first block (made July-Sept 2009) was an hourglass block lap quilt.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 PM

I started out with DP9 then Dresden plate. Learned a lot from both.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Mine was a also a grandmother's flower garden (1974) made entirely from kettle cloth or skillet cloth scraps from clothing I made in high school. I still have it but it needs some fixing - the batting pilled badly, poly batting and coarse weave of the kettle cloth and the binding is coming off. Hand quilted in the big stitch style, but I didn't know that I should bury the knots LOL
Someday I may skin it and redo it!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 PM

My first block was a rail fence. I was just starting and figured it would be easy. Ended up making one for 3 children and 2 grand children. DSIL hung the grandkids up on the wall and wouldn't let them get the quilt dirty. I had to laugh at that. But I sure know how to make a rail fence now. Oh and they were all hand quilted.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Hand stitched GFG. That was back in the 50s, and was pretty bad. I have gotten somewhat better!