Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your King size >

Your King size

Your King size

Old 02-20-2023, 07:42 AM

Default Your King size

Hi Quilters, what size do YOU make YOUR king size quilts? I’m making a Goodnight Irene by Jenny Doan. I have it 89x104 so I know I need the 89 bigger. I ordered more fabric to enlarge it and will be so glad when this is done. I had already added the border blocks, when oldest daughter informed me she is going to a king, not a queen bed size. 🙄😩 I did Google and King sizes are all over the place. I need to know what YOUR size is. She plans to have it drop over the sides of a deep mattress and use a bed skirt with it. Thanks for any help. Toogie
Old 02-20-2023, 08:03 AM

My usual king size is 100 long by 110 wide. That gives about an 18 inch overhang on the bottom and sides. We also have a deep mattress on a platform bed frame. I want the quilt to cover the mattress and a bit of the frame. Hope this helps
Old 02-20-2023, 08:37 AM
mkc

A standard king mattress is 76" wide x 80" long. Add 2x desired drop for width and 1x desired drop for length, plus a little allowance for sheets/blanket thickness.

On a 15" mattress, that makes it 106" wide x 95" long. I'd go 108" by 96"

On an 18" mattress, 112" wide x 98" long - I'd go 114" by 100"

n.b. if you're quilting this on a longarm, it will mostly likely need to be loaded sideways unless you have a 12 to 14' frame.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
A standard king mattress is 76" wide x 80" long. Add 2x desired drop for width and 1x desired drop for length, plus a little allowance for sheets/blanket thickness.

On a 15" mattress, that makes it 106" wide x 95" long. I'd go 108" by 96"

On an 18" mattress, 112" wide x 98" long - I'd go 114" by 100"

n.b. if you're quilting this on a longarm, it will mostly likely need to be loaded sideways unless you have a 12 to 14' frame.
And I usually will wash and dry at least the backing to allow for additional shrinkage. I measure my flimsy before quilting, after quilting, and after washing and drying and yep when I make a quilt, it usually shrinks up at least 3-4 inches so you might want to make the top is bigger than the actual measurement as both the quilting, and the washing will cause some shrinkage.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:40 AM

I would ask her to measure her bed to where she wants it to hang since they are all different. I made one for my sil, which turned out smaller than she had in mind, so I found out the hard way that it pays to get the specific dimensions!
Old 02-20-2023, 12:53 PM

There’s lots of room for different sizes to answer this question
1. Since my bedmates (hubby and dog) steal the covers,
2. want lots of overhang to avoid drafts
3. Don’t like bed skirts
4. There’s many sizes of King…mine was California King
5. I want my quilt to hang to the floor.

With the above size mattress + my criteria for overhang….my king quilt would be128 x 106
The California King quilt was 120 x 120. It wasn’t quite wide enough.
All king quilts have been LA. In California, professional LA’s use 14 ft frames……mostly.

Since moving to Florida, all that changes.
1. The 20+ year old mattress stayed in California and replaced with standard King
2. Shark robot likes 4” clearance to clean under the bed.
3. CPAP provides plenty of breathing air, so I like to sleep with covers over my head
So a new King Quilt would be 120 long and 120 wide.

I think the recipient needs to decide on the size.

Last edited by petthefabric; 02-20-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:22 PM

I haven't made a king size, yet that is...

I like the looks of a quilt hanging off of the bed, like a bedspread. It depends on the depth of the mattress and the height of the bed (some beds sit closer to the floor on their legs/platform), but for the most part it is a 21" drop from the flat of the mattress.

That said, I make all of my quilts, twin and queen sizes, the size of an old fashioned bedspread. They hang almost to the floor around the three sides (sides and bottom of bed) and there is enough to tuck in the pillows.

This way it is also long enough to snuggle under it and roll over without it falling off my shoulders or being tight.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:10 AM

WOW, if 104 is considered king, then I've been making king more so than queen. Most want them to hit the floor these days. I don't care for square quilts so I tend to add and extra row of something on either end making it rectange. I've been going for 100+ on most quilts but trying to stay under 106" as they get so heavy.
Old 02-21-2023, 11:45 AM

Depending on the bed and quilt design, you may also be able to turn what is considered the length to be the width. So, for example, when I had a bed with a footboard, I just turned the quilt sideways. Now, I don't have a footboard, but I also don't put tuck the pillows in - they sit on top of the quilt, which I pull up under them only enough for the other side (which is now at the foot of the bed) to hang properly.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:02 PM

i would ask her what size is her bed