Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this your quilt?  I call it "framed HST"... >

Is this your quilt? I call it "framed HST"...

Is this your quilt? I call it "framed HST"...

Old 08-25-2022, 04:35 PM

Default Is this your quilt? I call it "framed HST"...

Hi all,

When I first joined QB I saw so many amazing ideas I started saving some of the pictures for my inspiration board. Thank you for your generosity in sharing your ideas! However, it took me a while to clue in that I really should be including the maker's name when I rename the file for myself so that I can find it here again.
And so now I have a question and am not sure who to direct it to, so I'm just putting this out there. Please note: This is NOT my quilt. I did not design it nor make it. But I love it. :-)
I am 90% sure I saw this beautiful quilt here. I'm hoping to try to make my own version using this simple but beautiful block but I'm wondering if you mitered the corners when you made the original blocks or whether the joins get hidden when you cut and re-piece them. I think it's the former (which worries me, but I still want to know).
Anyway, if this is your quilt, please let me know so we can all admire it again properly and I can fix my file name.
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails framed-hst-quilt-so-cool.jpg  
Old 08-25-2022, 05:22 PM

That is a lovely quilt, I agree. the quilting is great! Not mine, sorry to say.
Old 08-26-2022, 03:05 AM

There is a pattern somewhat like it called Popped Art Quilt (pattern) on Jordan Fabric (video) Popped Art Quilt

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-26-2022 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2022, 04:58 AM

It is definitely a beautiful quilt and I am sorry to say that it is not mine. I wonder if one could make the blocks like HST's. Looking more closely at the photo, it seems there are two repeats of each colour combination. That is what brought the HST idea to me. If I was making it, I would make the center of each block as an HST, and then miter the border on each block.

I made something similar several years ago, using this pattern: https://storyquilts.com/products/magic-squares. I'm sure it is somewhere here in Pictures.
Old 08-26-2022, 05:09 AM

It is a very pretty quilt, I have never seen a quilt with two different borders but it works. The quilting is so fitting for the quilt.
Old 08-26-2022, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

It isn't my quilt either, but I'm glad you showed it to us. This is how I think it was made.

1. Cut a square of plain fabric A and patterned fabric B.
2. Sew a border of fabric B around square A - but stop sewing when you reach the corners. Let the tails of the borders just lay there overlapping each other. This forms block AB.
3. In the same fashion use fabric A to border square B forming block BA.
4. Lay block AB on top of block BA and draw a diagonal line, then sew 1/4" on either side of the diagonal line, forming 2 bordered HST blocks.

This way there are no miters needed for the blocks. (If you had sewn miters, you would just be slicing right through them when you made the HST's, so why bother?)

I think this would work, but I haven't tried it - yet - but I think I will. If you try it first, please let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:20 AM

Dunster, I like your idea but if you look closely at the picture, the opposing corners (not the HST ones) are also mitered. I could not find any seam line that would indicate that they were joined in any other way.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Dang, you're right. Well there goes that theory. You could avoid mitering two of the corners, but it looks like you're stuck with the other two. (Unless you just want to fold them, some sort of variation of what you do with binding corners, and call it good. It almost looks like they did that, because the seams don't really look completely flat.)
Old 08-26-2022, 09:52 AM

Dunster, you are right! I hadn't noticed that. But mitering isn't all that hard, especially if you've ever done a traditional attic windows block. I made two machine sewn hexie tops and the technique is almost identical. You don't even have to get 'exactly' to the marked stopping point. It all presses out fine even if you are a stitch or two away.

The more I look at this block, the more I want to try it. Thanks Gemm, I really needed to add another pattern to my bucket list (NOT!!)
Old 08-26-2022, 11:50 AM

Glad to find so many others who are tempted by the simple beauty of this quilt, and appreciate the ideas from you who are more experienced in quilt construction. Hopefully its owner/maker will soon be found as well! :-)