Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your quilt

I have many that I use to cover up with. I love my quilts.

Blog Entries
    Thank u every one for your replies it changes my mind I'll make my heart stronger and use mine
    The problem is i cant clean them in my machine (small) and quilts i make are king size bec i love big, full,down as much i can and then i hate dry clean :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x

I use a couple of mine but have one that I don't want to put on the bed because I have a cat that throws up! The ones I have given as gifts , i think, are being used. There is a baby quilt that I know of that has not been used because it had cat hairs on it. I am considering asking for it back to rewash and give to quilts for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sawsan
    Are u using quilt to cover with? or u cover the bed only and remove it when u sleep:wink:
    4 me i will use one the whole life and others will be 4 showing :-(
    This is not fair :thumbdown:
    I'm sleeping under the last quilt I worked on with my MIL who was my inspiration for quilting. I love seeing my quilts being used when I visit my children. Right now one of my favorite quilts is "on the shelf" because I no longer have a double bed to put it on.

Most of my quilts are done to give away and to be used.

I just looked out and it is snowing pretty hard. I cleaned 5 inches or so off the driveway earlier. Looks like I'll need to do it again! (Manhattan, KS)

I make quilts to be used, I have four for my own bed that I alterante thru the year. My kids and grands also have quilts. In fact no one has a blanket on their beds. Its all quilts. My grandson wore out the first one, I have mended it twice and refuse to do it again. LOL So I made him a new one but he will not give the other one up. So they all like them. I have given many away as gifts and for charity. I just enjoy making them and will continue to do so as long as there is someone who wants one. Marge

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    I use my quilts and when I give them to people, I tell them if they don't use them I take them back and give them to someone who will use them.
    I like your style! :thumbup:

Yes, I sleep under my quilts. There are few that do not get used regularly - and then only during the hot summer! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thank u every one for your replies it changes my mind I'll make my heart stronger and use mine
    The problem is i cant clean them in my machine (small) and quilts i make are king size bec i love big, full,down as much i can and then i hate dry clean :twisted: :twisted: :x :x :x
    You don't have public laundry rooms that have larger washing machines?

I use all my quilts. I give many away and I always tell recipients that I make them sturdy enough for everyday wear.

Blog Entries
    Most of the bed size quilts I have made have gone to family...and they all use them. I have some smaller throw sized quilts that I use on the couch, or when guests come for extra on the futon. I have fabric and a pattern for a quilt for our bed in my quilt room, but it's been sitting there for months, untouched. Maybe after the 1st of the year......but that's what I've been saying for over a year!!! :P

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    You don't have public laundry rooms that have larger washing machines?
    No :cry: amma I am not in the states and we did not have this here .

DH and I both have dust mite allergies that require all bedding to be washed weekly. I wash our bed quilt every week in cold water and mild soap and once a month in warm. Our old quilt lasted 25 years before replacing. The one I made several years ago has lots of red and navy, so it might need replacing much sooner.

I've tried other kinds of blankets, but DH likes quilts. I guess I'm more selfish than some of you-- the first quilt I made was for me!

Blog Entries
    In AZ I use the quilt I made for my folks for their 50th anniversary in 1988 - queen size. In CT, my 1st quilt is on the bed in my sewing room (under piles of 'stuff') - I made it for my daughter in 1972, one is on the guest room bed
    - queen. Others are on walls, a rocking chair in a bedroom, in the TV room and draped on a love seat in living room. All the rest have been given to my son and daughter and many friends as wedding and baby gifts.

The lap size ones have been washed in home machines. The full sized one (my DD's - the first one I made) has a white background, and it has been washed in my home machine many times with no problem - dried too. The queens have not been washed. Oh dear, what an awful admission!

Blog Entries
    Sort of off subject but: punkins mom, that puppy is just so huggable! I bet he loves your quilts as much as you.

Blog Entries
    Gayle, hope you are fully re-covered (heh! Heh! little joke) soon. A nice warm quilt is so comforting.

Blog Entries
    we have too many in my house, and my kids have too many also, but we use them, and wash them lots. i tell the kids, if you wear them, out, i'll make you another. i'm going to start giving some to charity. and i make harder ones all the times. am going to start making wall hangings to decrease closet storage needs.

I use my quilts to snuggle up with in Winter whilst watching tv. My son sleeps with his, I have slept under it too.I have fabric awaiting cutting, sewing and quilting to go on my bed, but having written that - I have don't foresee it getting finished in 2010... my sister, pop, nephews and son are getting quilts and I have 3 WIP that I want to finish before working on my bed quilt. It took me a while to find the fabric and pattern I wanted.

i USE all of my quilts!! i've got several on my bed to cozy under when the weather is cold like it is now. In the summer i have summer quilts for chilly nights and we have several up by our couches so we can cozy under them while watching tv or playing on the computer!! I love to snuggly under quilts!! I've never made a show quilt, maybe i will someday but i'm just not into that right now

I feel slightly different than most of you. In my opinion there are different "ways" of using a quilt. Isn't having it on your bed as a "bedspread" still using it? I do not have a quilt on my bed, because I have always made them for other people, but I really want to make one for myself now. My problem is that a few years ago, we bought a down comfortor, that is put in a duvet cover, to cover us, and I love the feel of it, it is heaven. It fills in all the crevices rather than making a tent over us, like a blanket or a quilt does. I don't want to give it up, but I do want to decorate my room with a quilt, that I would fold up at night.

I've only completed 7 quilts and I've given all of them away. At least some of those are used as bed covers, but not sure how many. Right now I'm working on quilts for two beds in this house, but they both involve a lot of hand quilting, so I'll be thrilled if I have them finished by next winter. I think quilts make great bed covers (both for looks and to keep warm), wall hangings, lap covers and small quilts for kids to love ... great for pets and dolls, too. In fact, quilts are great, period. I don't see much point in just storing them away for years.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    I feel slightly different than most of you. In my opinion there are different "ways" of using a quilt. Isn't having it on your bed as a "bedspread" still using it? I do not have a quilt on my bed, because I have always made them for other people, but I really want to make one for myself now. My problem is that a few years ago, we bought a down comfortor, that is put in a duvet cover, to cover us, and I love the feel of it, it is heaven. It fills in all the crevices rather than making a tent over us, like a blanket or a quilt does. I don't want to give it up, but I do want to decorate my room with a quilt, that I would fold up at night.
    You might consider making a quilted (Pieced) cover for your comforter--then you could have the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by elizajo
    DH and I both have dust mite allergies that require all bedding to be washed weekly. I wash our bed quilt every week in cold water and mild soap and once a month in warm. Our old quilt lasted 25 years before replacing. The one I made several years ago has lots of red and navy, so it might need replacing much sooner.

I've tried other kinds of blankets, but DH likes quilts. I guess I'm more selfish than some of you-- the first quilt I made was for me!
    I just took the allergy tests. Those are NOT fun!!!! There were only 4 things on the entire test I was not allergic too and dust mites gave me such a bad reaction the doc wants me to carry around an epi pen and to wash all bedding (including blankets and quilts) twice a week. Ouch! I'm thinking the fancy mariner's compass quilt I wanted to do for my bed will end up somewhere else, like on a wall so that I don't have to wash it as frequently. Allergies are hard on our quilts!

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    I completely agree with you!

The very first quilt I made is on our bed - it's folded at the end and used every night - even in the summer (I live in FL and the AC is too cold for me!) - I took it with me to the hospital when I was in for a couple days two months ago - it will ALWAYS be with me - - - ugly and very horribly quilted but I will always have it and use it

All of my quilts are used. I haven't done the ones you put on your sofas, but when I do, they will be used as well. I purposely make the ones for the beds a little bit bigger, because I like to be able to wrap up in them.

I know there are many people who will not use them and not allow them to be used. I make mine to be used and loved.

Okay, here is a kind of off topic question,

For those of you that use your quilts, what kind of batting do you use. I have two made from tricot (nylon) and they have thin batting in (I assume cotton). One was made many years ago by my great grandmother, and one 26 years ago by my aunt for our wedding.

I live in Utah, and it can get quite chilly here, so I just wondered what some of you other quilters use.

Thanks

Someday I will be able to put a quilt on my bed. I want to wait until there are no muddy doggie feet. Rocky is about 3 so it may be a few years..............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast