Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Are your quilts for you? Or are they gifts?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Just curious...

Have you kept most of the quilts you've made? Or do you sew them mostly for gifts?

Blog Entries
    I have small wall hangings in the house, but have given away most of what I made. One of these days I will make a quilt for my own bed! :lol:

I only have one that I have kept. Most of mine are more throws than quilts as i like the piecing but not so good with the quilting. I am making one all for me right now out of the scraps from throws made for my children. I love making something specific for people I love.

Blog Entries
    Have made for us and for others. i like to keep them mostly, I stress over them to much when they are to be given away.

Blog Entries
    Given away :D I will make mine...some day :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    given away. i finally did after 5 years of a Pottery Barn quilt on my bed make a quilt for our bed, and actually now have 2...but everything else goes out the door as fast as i can get them done ;)

We have 6 grown children, 7 grandkids, many extended family. I make quilts for them all and they want more. I do make some for us too. If I'm attached to a finished quilt I keep it for awhile then pass it on.

Blog Entries
    I'd say I keep about half of what I make. I gift or sell the others.

I only have one that I made. The rest goes to my family and friends.

Blog Entries
    most of what i make goes to charitable organizations. it's a lot of fun for me to build up a pile and then find someplace that needs them. i have also sold some and made some as gifts for friends and family. i have kept only a very few for my own house. i have several "planned" for me but somehow rarely get around to doing them. :lol:

Mine are mostly gifts for family. I do have quite a baby quilt collection going and no babies to give to. Hmm, for now they sit in a basket!

I am still a beginner, but so far I have kept mine. They are just too much work to give away. But then, I have no grandkids, my son isn't interested, and my sister makes beautiful quilts that she has spread out to the family members already. Maybe in time I will give away, but for now, I am not.

I really admire those who can give them away.

I have given everyone of mine away so far! I have started one for my spare bedroom, but can't seem to get motivated to finish it when I have so many other projects I'm working on. One of these days.

I kept about the first ten, given away about 30. Now, I make quilts that I like and when someone sees one they like, it becomes theirs.

I give almost everything away!
    I make alot of donation quilt for a children's cancer program

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    Mine are mostly gifts for family. I do have quite a baby quilt collection going and no babies to give to. Hmm, for now they sit in a basket!
    That's a good idea though. My Mom has made tons of knitted afghans for all the grands and great grands. She loves to keep busy and when another baby comes she can have one ready.
    I have to say I'm half and half with how many quilts I've kept and given.
    I've collected vintage baby quilts b/c I love them and hope someday my kids will for their kids. If not I can keep them :D:D

I only have one quilt that I have made. I do have some WIPs that will be for me.

Pam
    Some I keep, some I give away (like my avatar) to famiy and friends, some are given to charity.

Since I have a larger family, 14 children, I make many quilts for my family but I have probably given away the same amount as donation quilts or gifts. I also do some consignment quilts but usually not more then two a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan
    Have made for us and for others. i like to keep them mostly, I stress over them to much when they are to be given away.
    Wow so true! Reading that I realized I do too. When I am making it for some one besides my family I always worry and stress more if they will like it.

I have most of mine. I've made a few baby quilts for charity and 3 for friends but mostly they are stacking up here at home.

It's about half and half. I have kept many for myself, but have also given away just as many. Fortunately, I have given several to my husband so I still get to see them.

Mine have all been made for others -- however, I do have a couple of small wall hangings that I'm hanging on to. Who knows -- maybe this is the year I make a quilt for my bed??? :lol: :lol:

I have two on my bed. The rest are gifts. My kids all have a number of quilts and so do other family members. I repaired a baby quilt for a friend and she cried when she got it back. She and her mom made it for her son. Her mom is gone now so it preserved something she had made. That was one of my most rewarding moments.

Blog Entries
    Gifts. One was meant as a gift but the colors ran so bad it had to stay. I have one, Pat has one - and all the rest left the building.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast