Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Your thoughts/ideas ...

DJ

Your thoughts/ideas ...

I saw this border fabric today and fell in love with it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/6144452...elated-1&frs=1

I contemplated how I might use it, and thought it would make a beautiful complimentary quilt to the two chenille wall hangings I made last year to display in spring/summer.

So I searched and found this pattern which I think would/could work quite nicely.

http://quiltingdigest.com/showcase-a...an-easy-quilt/

It's very similar to Warm Wishes. My focus border fabric would be much wider than the Warm Wishes blocks.

I welcome your thoughts and maybe other ideas … Thanks.

Wow! I love the fabric and the pattern! The only problem I see is that your border being wider might create some math difficulties. I'm sure others here will have suggestions to make it easier.

I could be looking at this wrong, but isn't your border a true border design, which means it is directional? Will it work in both directions; i.e., up and down and across, like the sample? Won't it be upside down in one direction?
    Jan

Buy the fabric, it will drive you nuts if you didn't! You will eventually think of some way to use it.

Beautiful fabric. Too nice to pass up. I agree you'll find something to use it.

I was thinking what Jaiade said about the directional aspect with the pattern you linked to.

I do like how the bold floral print is showcased by brilliant solids in that quilt pictured. Peronally I'd keep looking for a pattern that would have all the flowers "growing upward" instead of any which way. Then buy the amount of fabric to fit the pattern.

I am not sure that this is a repeating border stripe vs a true border print that runs the length of the bolt printed along each selvedge edge with the blue solid filling the space between the selvedge edge border print.

send a message to the Etsy shop owner to verify how the border is set up. She should text you a picture of the fabric still on the bolt so you can see the border.
    Last edited by Sandygirl; 01-04-2019 at 03:52 AM.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

check out dreamscapes one fabric kaleidoscope pattern. Looks great

The border you love is directional, the one in the pattern is not. Not sure if that would matter to you....

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who just bought that fabric to make a wall hanging. She's been trying to figure out how to use it, and one of her ideas was to have the skyline of a city in the background. I loved that idea when she sketched it out; I thought she could put a moon in there too. It looked fabulous, but she told me she's doing something else with it, which I can't wait to see. It is a gorgeous fabric.

It might look lovely in a triangle frenzy.

DJ
    I'm toying with the idea on my computer of doing something like this as one block, then alternating it with another block … not sure what … ideas? Also not sure about the blue but my couch that it will be laying on is a deep blue color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DJ; 01-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.

DJ
    Or maybe something like this stripe but with a different stripe in between the focus fabric … like pinwheels or little twister ...
    http://rubybluequilts.blogspot.com/2...an-babies.html

Here is the link. What great ideas

https://www.nancysnotions.com/catalo...dreamscapes+II

That is gorgeous fabric... I like all things Jason Yenter! The fabric has 4 rows of the border running the length of the bolt. I can’t wait to see what you do with this!
    Here is a quilt using the fabric....
    https://eeschenck.com/one-fabric-kal...lt-113611.html
    Last edited by jillmc; 01-04-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    It is wonderful fabric. I would pick it up (3 yards is my preferred amount of border fabrics) and once I had it I would be better able to decide how to showcase it best. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I love the fabric. I don't have a suggestion of what to make from it. I have a gift card to Nancy's Notions that I won and keep forgetting to spend. I might need the purple.

You could make a window with it, or an arched bay window. It could be the garden outside. Or if you are into making valances, I would make valances for a kitchen, bath or inside porch. And pillows, that would be great.

I am almost ready to put this together. I have created a wedge and now considering if I should included the dragonflies, which are just paper cutouts at the moment. I am going to do several layers across of gradually lighter grays. I still have 3 more panels, and might do something completely different, but this is what I have so far.

Name:  wedge and dragonflies.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  431.1 KB

Finally finished. I used a "chunky" binding - 1 inch wide. Plus added some iridescent beads around the dragonflies.Name:  Wedge Series 2_finished.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  130.3 KB

Blog Entries
    wow, great finish
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

That's gorgeous!! Good job!

Blog Entries
    Great job!!! :-)

Beautiful fabric and if you love it just purchase it and then you have it on hand when you decide what pattern to use. It looks like you have been given some great ideas.