Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts: Storage cabinet with drawers or storage chest

Your Thoughts: Storage cabinet with drawers or storage chest

I have an opportunity to buy a storage cabinet that would double as a cutting surface. It's a two-door cabinet with two banks of drawers inside. I probably wouldn't store fabric in it since I've put all my fabric on comic boards and have them stored in a bookcase. I would probably use it for embroidery supplies, quilting notions, boxes of scraps, etc.

In theory, I'd keep the doors closed and open them when I need something. My hesitation is whether it would be irritating to have to open doors to open a drawer. A chest would let me just open a drawer but I haven't found anything that would be the right height for cutting.

Would you find this difficult to use? Or go for it.

(I think I've answered my own question by writing out my thoughts - but I'll still post to get your feedback. )
    Cathy

I guess for me it would depend on how often I needed to open it. Is price a factor?
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Can you take the outside doors off?? I would probably go for it anyway. A table the right height to cut is hard to find so I wouldn't pass it up.

Personally, I'd go for it!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Blog Entries
    Extra storage is always a plus for me. But the right height is a big factor. I use what looks like saw horses with a white laminate board across the top for a cutting table. I can raise and lower it according to my needs and they work great. I found them at IKEA for approximately 30 each. I store drawers in the middlie of the table underneath it. You have to find what works for you. I like the idea of closing the doors so it looks neat but are they in the way when they are opened and you are using your cutting surface?
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
    Stay flexible you won't get bent out of shape.

Barking Frog Winery, Carlton, Oregon

I use what used to be a portable kitchen island for a pressing surface....it has doors and then shelves beneath and a wine rack in between. I use the wine rack to hold all things rolled up...like stabilizer, pressing cloths, tracing paper...it also has three drawers. I try to keep mostly things that deal with pressing but I also keep items I use only occasionally because it is placed in a hallway between the longarm quilt room and the sewing room. The top was stainless steel so I covered it in thick wool and then sheeting for the ironing surface. My personal opinion is that anytime you can gleand more storage space, go for it! We never have enough.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Temple, TX (Transplanted from New York 2010)
    I would GO 4 IT!!!
    cny_sewer39

Sew Much Fabric, Sew Little Time...

If it has doors, and you're standing in front of it, will it bump your knees and/or is there also room for your feet to fit under the doors so that you can stand properly?

Ahh...very good thoughts and thank you for the comments. It's on casters so my toes would fit under it and the doors will fold out of the way so it could be left open unless you really need to be neat.

It's not cheap-cheap but it's a good deal and I know the person who owns it so know it's been cared for.

Yes...I appreciate the encouragement...I'm going for it. Storage is always at a premium. And since I'm moving my sewing space to the unused living room - largest room in the house, I need to have space I can keep neat.

I just needed a kick in the pants. Thanks!!

Power Poster
    If the doors can be left on and not bother you, go for it. The doors could have pegboard attached on the inside for hanging tools or you could make them into small design boards. I think the doors would be really handy for hanging all your rulers on too.

Tartan, what a GREAT IDEA!!! I always say, two heads are better than one. I'd never have thought of that. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    like you, i would not like to double the actions in getting to what i want. i vote chest
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Sounds like a cool piece of furniture. I hope it works out for you!

it sounds interesting. post a picture if you ge it.

piney

Banned
    Blog Entries
    remove the doors and put up a curtain on a swinging arm! IF you think dust, etc will get into the drawers. Then again, depending on what you are storing, the doors probably won't be an issue!

I have a antique chest that has doors to open and then drawers inside, I have it in my sewing room and the things I keep in it I dont use on a daily basis so its not a problem. Go for it.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Those drawers inside the drawers may not be as much as a problem as you think. At least I hope not. My new kitchen cabinets are coming Friday and there is not one drawer that is not behind a door. Also took out the dishwasher and put in more cabinets because we never use it. For me, the correct height for cutting/pressing would trump everything else.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

If it's a large enough surface for cutting, and it's sturdy, I'd use the cabinet. Like someone else said, the doors can probably be removed. I love drawers!
    Some things have to be believed to be seen. -Ralph Hodgson-

The right height - - - I would definitely go for it. I would store things that I don't use often so doors on the cabinet would pose no "big" problem. Height here would be the priority.
    Dance like no one is watching

What an awesome idea, moving soon and will have more room and need storage ideas!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    I use what used to be a portable kitchen island for a pressing surface....it has doors and then shelves beneath and a wine rack in between. I use the wine rack to hold all things rolled up...like stabilizer, pressing cloths, tracing paper...it also has three drawers. I try to keep mostly things that deal with pressing but I also keep items I use only occasionally because it is placed in a hallway between the longarm quilt room and the sewing room. The top was stainless steel so I covered it in thick wool and then sheeting for the ironing surface. My personal opinion is that anytime you can gleand more storage space, go for it! We never have enough.
    You have a long arm room and a sewing room????!!!! You lucky!!!!!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

There are some good ideas on here for those of us thinking outside the box. Anything that has an alternative use is a go from me.
    ABCDEFG

Glad you're going for it. Enjoy it!

My kitchen has drawers and doors. I've lived with it for 26 years. Every snack. Every meal. Every time I bake. Every time I put groceries away. Every time I put dishes away. Every time I get dishes out. Drawers and doors. A serious pain but stupid me allowed the woodworker to put the dratted doors on and now I'm stuck.

My considered recommendation: "no doors."

Now if I understand you, correctly, the drawers fill the entire inside of the cabinet. I like "2 for 1s." How about taking the doors off, getting rid of the door problem? A cutting surface, organization possibilities galore and NO DOORS.

I know it's possible to take doors off in a sewing room because I did. The old kitchen has 19 running feet of cabinets, top and bottom. They're doorless, top and bottom, and I've filled the shelves with folded fabric and see through plastic containers. Snitched DH's label maker and as I fill things, I label them.

When I'm sewing, nothing is neat.

Good luck with your organization. I love mine - in my sewing room.

I say go for it! Do we get to see pics-?
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast