Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Youth and Rotary Cutters >

Youth and Rotary Cutters

Youth and Rotary Cutters

Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
It greatly depends on the maturity of the child.

I tried unsuccessfully with my youngest when he was 10. I got quite a few gray hairs in the process. No matter how patient I was or how careful, he still wanted to go at warp speed! Which is not a good thing with sharp objects. I finally told him that I would do all the cutting and he could do the sewing. That was scary enough.

He made a couple of things then lost interest. Doctor said he was border line ADHD. When he became a teenager, he did a complete 180. Sometimes so slow a turtle could pass him!

Oh well, each child is different.
I also agree it is child dependednt, some are just not as careful as others, some are more accident prone
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

get some stick on 'guards' for their rulers. they do help. they are long L shaped plastic and can be cut to fit length of some rulers if necessary. Joann's has them.
other than that, very young children should trace the template and cut with scissors when possible. I do that myself with curved designs like DP's.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Banned

I'm not sure the answer is how old a child should be. To me the question is one of liability if any child should cut him or herself. I don't believe rotary cutters should be in the hands of any child unless the parent is there to supervise. I don't want the responsibility
Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 PM

When my DGGs were 6 & 8 I supervised them using the rotary cutter, but I had the handle (suction cups) on the ruler.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
I'm not sure the answer is how old a child should be. To me the question is one of liability if any child should cut him or herself. I don't believe rotary cutters should be in the hands of any child unless the parent is there to supervise. I don't want the responsibility
My thoughts exactly.

But then again I don't let my four year old eat whole hotdogs because I know he doesn't chew much before swallowing. lol Overprotective? Maybe, but my kids are not going to choke to death nor are they going to cut their fingers off participating in a hobby!