Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Zentanglles >

Zentanglles

Zentanglles

Old 08-10-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think you need a fixative when using on fabric. Clear aloe vera is good to use.

Explain how to use please......
Old 08-10-2015, 06:36 AM

I've used "Grandma's Secret Spot Remover" to get a black ink spot out of a quilt. Worked great - I couldn't find any trace of the spot afterwards and it didn't fade the fabric at all!
Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think you need a fixative when using on fabric. Clear aloe vera is good to use.
I've never heard of using clear aloe vera gel as a fixative. I have heard of using it to blend inktense brand pencils which become permanent once they are wet down with water. Aloe Vera gel is used because of its viscosity to better control where the color blends as it doesn't seep into the fabric and batting as readily as water does. Water tends to bleed into other areas with inktense. I don't think Aloe vera gel has any properties as a fixative with a permanent marker or any other marking device.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Be careful of any spray, it will spread the ink. A cotton swab dipped in alcohol is the best bet and just roll it and pull up into you, not out. Always in the center and toward you. It may take a few but swabs are cheap.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:19 AM

This is one of those "OH NO" situations for sure. Did you prewash your fabric? Sometimes the sizing the manufacturer uses will make the ink run. I have found that not all markers marked permanent are permanent on fabric. Have you tried a Micron marker? Your project looks like a lot of fun!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
Cheap hairspray works on ball point ink...perhaps here too. l'd test on scrap first.
This was going to be my suggestion. Works great on ink. Needs to be aerosol spray.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:18 AM

Love your Zentangle Dotty. I have always wanted to try it but can't draw worth a darn LOL.............maybe if I fill in a clip art silhouette or coloring book page, hummm. May try that. Re: marking pens, like Feline Fanatic mentioned, I would use the Ink Intense water color pencils and "fix it" with clean aloe gel. Makes the colors vibrant and permanent, and you would have less bleed and more control of the color.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:21 AM

One more thought, since you did this in a class, I would call the teacher and ask her advice!
Old 08-11-2015, 04:11 PM

I don't have any suggestions for you on removing the ink but did want to say that I love your cat!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM

The project was fun and great if you want to learn free motion following a line. The filling in with permanent marker is very relaxing. I washed fabric, used the micro permanent markers, pressed at the end to remove the frixion pen marks.

i just don't know why it happened. Going to make another and set with the aloe Vera gel as mentioned.

Wish sh me luck.