Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Zig-Zag Ruler by Cotton Cottage Press >

Zig-Zag Ruler by Cotton Cottage Press

Zig-Zag Ruler by Cotton Cottage Press

Old 10-10-2014, 07:39 PM

Question Zig-Zag Ruler by Cotton Cottage Press

Have any of you used this ruler? I *think* I want to get it, but would value your opinions. And ... to use it with 2 1/2" strips, I feel sure I would use the Mini Zig-Zag? Thanks for any assistance you can offer!
Old 10-11-2014, 03:03 AM
Power Poster

Another interesting ruler but how often could you use it with patterns?? Just what I try to do when contemplating a new purchase of a quilting item. I want something that I will certainly use often enough.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:42 AM

Thank you! I appreciate your input. I tend to buy tools/rulers impulsively when I really need to do what you have suggested. Makes me think a bit more!
Old 10-11-2014, 10:58 AM

ManiacQuilter2, your advice made me laugh. When I go to quilt shows or shops with someone new I always suggest they wander around before buying anything, unless they are looking for something specific. It is so easy to get caught up and spend a lot of money. (You can assume you know how I know.) A friend and I were at a show and one of the vendors was selling the powder you use on stencils to do the quilting. It cost $7.00 a bag and 2 for $11.00. What a bargain! We could share the purchase and save the money - what a deal! All of a sudden I started laughing and she looked at me like I was having a seizure, and when I could stop laughing long enough I asked her when was she going to use it? She had not even sewn a top together at this point. And so I said, by the time either of us would use it is would be concrete. We put it back and agreed to buy some once we were ready to use it. (At least I have stencils but have never used the powder with them yet.)

Every time we go to a show we get a good laugh at our control I am such a sucker for vendors with all the little gadgets.

We did have a friend go with us once, she bought this wonderful little kit and actually went home that night and made it.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:49 AM

Hmm, it does look interesting. Is there a tute to actually see it in action...that would help ME decide I'd I want to add this to my collection? Oh, Interesting fact. I can drive to this originating store and see samples......may do a road trip!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I've gotten to where I started relying on the rulers I have. I thought I wanted to order a specific ruler for the Hunter's Star. Before I did that I went to YouTube and Google. Checked Quilter's Cache and a few other places. Found I don't really need the ruler, I could make due with what I have which are 3 rulers with the 45 degree angle on them. I checked out a template and printed a template for the size block I wanted. Then put my ruler against the template on the 45 degree angle. Guess what, I don't need the specific ruler for the Hunter's Star and a couple other blocks. I was also able to print a template for a 9 degree ruler. You can use legal size paper for that and just line it up. Remember in high school and elementary when we had the protractor and compass to use for the different angles and degrees. They still work and I use them. I use the compass to make circles and wedges. easy for yo yos and you can add that extra 1/4". It seems like the more intricate the pattern the pricier the ruler or template. Just think about if it is going to be a one time pattern quilt you won't make again or do you really need it that bad. I think about more fabric to buy for my stash.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Just so everyone is clear I'm not bashing any of the specific/special rulers. Just think before you buy. How often you will use it and so forth. If nothing else, I would have a couple other options in the mix. I ask myself do I want to spend over $$$? for this or that for any one item depending on how often it'll be used.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Checked out this ruler and have been looking for the pattern that is on their Facebook Page. Hmmm!!
Old 10-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Checked out this ruler and have been looking for the pattern that is on their Facebook Page. Hmmm!!

Is your hmmmmm good or bad? I don't do Facebook...us the pattern you are looking at on their website too?