Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
zipease leaders for longarm???? >

zipease leaders for longarm????

zipease leaders for longarm????

Old 06-25-2016, 05:04 PM

Default zipease leaders for longarm????

Has anyone heard of these? I googled and got nothing.
I just bought a used long arm, and the leaders have the "soft" side of velcro, a good 2" wide sewn onto them. I didn't get anything else.
Packing slip says included is 3 zipease adhesive hook strips, 10 feet, 3 zipease ribbons, 10 feet, 1 zip ease test strip, 12"...10 foot set $80.00...
I bought this set up at an estate sale, so can't ask. This has to be more than just velcro for 80 dollars???
This is a 2008 Tin Lizzie, but I asked the TL people and it's nothing they ever sold.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:11 PM
yel

Donna i think my sister got a set when she bought her long arm[also used] but i don't think she ever uses them ....
Old 06-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

If you google Velcro leaders you can get an idea of how they would work. Basically you have the leaders that are (semi-permanently) attached to the poles, and you have shorter leaders that attach the other side of the Velcro attached to them. You sew (or pin) your quilt back (and top if you're not floating it) to the short leaders, then stick them to the long leaders. One advantage is that you can easily remove the quilt if necessary and put another quilt on, and then it's easy to just attach again using the Velcro. Another advantage is that you can sew, rather than pin, your quilt back to the short leader.

I tried out this system and discarded it in favor of using Red Snappers. The reason it cost $80 is probably that it included the canvas leaders, and they usually cost at least that much.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

i had velcro leaders on my last frame. i had purchased the velcro at my local fabric store. it had the sticky glue already on it. trouble is, after a few years, the sticky dried out and separated from the pole. i did like the system, though.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
Has anyone heard of these? I googled and got nothing.
I just bought a used long arm, and the leaders have the "soft" side of velcro, a good 2" wide sewn onto them. I didn't get anything else.
Packing slip says included is 3 zipease adhesive hook strips, 10 feet, 3 zipease ribbons, 10 feet, 1 zip ease test strip, 12"...10 foot set $80.00...
I bought this set up at an estate sale, so can't ask. This has to be more than just velcro for 80 dollars???
This is a 2008 Tin Lizzie, but I asked the TL people and it's nothing they ever sold.
Did you check to see if the "hook" side of the velcro (3 zipease ribbons) is already stuck to the poles? That is how mine works. Velcro on the poles and the other side of the velcro on the leaders. They go together and stay there. I only remove mine when I have to move my longarm. I then use red snappers to hold the backing to the leaders, and the red grippers to hold the sides of the backing. I float the batting and top so don't use the third leader. Ann
Old 06-26-2016, 07:50 AM

What Dunster said about how they work. Only problem with either the velcro or the zipper system (similar to velcro but zippers instead) is that with both you have to still either sew or pin baste the backing to 2 leaders and top if you don't float it. And while you can take a quilt off and put another on easily--you can do that only if you have another set of velcro/zippers!
I bought the Red Snapper system in May and LOVE it--so easy to use despite 2 complaints I'd heard about it--1) that they are too hard to use as rubber is too stiff to get snapped on--was told they would loosen up with little time (did) and that you could use a hair dryer to soften at first if still too hard to use (friend with RA did this and says it works) and 2) they use too much fabric to attach--NOT! I use no more than when pinning! My set for a 14' table was $80 and WELL worth the price--suggest you check them out.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
Did you check to see if the "hook" side of the velcro (3 zipease ribbons) is already stuck to the poles? That is how mine works. Velcro on the poles and the other side of the velcro on the leaders. They go together and stay there. I only remove mine when I have to move my longarm. I then use red snappers to hold the backing to the leaders, and the red grippers to hold the sides of the backing. I float the batting and top so don't use the third leader. Ann

This is how my HQ Avante is set up.

Cari
Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 PM

WOW !! Thanks for all of the answers! I couldn't find anything on them when I looked. At any rate, I had already ordered the red snappers...can't wait till they get here! The velcro is not attached to the poles, that's how I knew I only had part of a set up...the velcro is sewn onto the leaders, so I can either rip it out, and just re-use them...or order the striped ticking..I'm leaning toward that because everyone that has it says it's easy to just line up the lines and keep everything straight..thanks so much for the replies!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:36 AM
Power Poster

I bought my Longarm about 4 months ago and I did not get any of this stuff with mine. Interesting.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I bought my Longarm about 4 months ago and I did not get any of this stuff with mine. Interesting.
I bought mine used...not new. I got needles, bobbins, a huge stack of pantos, a sidewinder, a gracie laser, and those leaders...still getting through the directions and manuals! I have ordered size M bobbin genies, a good machine oil, and the red snappers....had a delay setting frame up to wait for help...hardest wait of my life!!!!!!! now waiting on the red snappers...then off to the races??? I hope!