Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
zIppers for Sweetpea Pods? >

zIppers for Sweetpea Pods?

zIppers for Sweetpea Pods?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:00 AM

Love2craft: I understand your dilemma. I also want to make these cute little storage pods. I found a good source for the Atkinson zippers in many colors (which are YKK) and are made for this type purpose. You can also buy a bag of extra pulls in assorted colors from the same source. Right now the 14" zippers are only $.99 and shipping is reasonable. The pulls are in a bag of 30 for $8.49. (Although to use this many pulls you would have to make 60 pods! Lol)

www.sewthankful.com/Zippers.html
Old 01-10-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Love2Craft View Post
I want to make the Lazy Girl Designs Sweetpea pods for next Christmas...they recommend YKK, Talon and some Coats and Clarks zippers...does anyone have a suggestion as to where to buy them in bulk?
I discovered that you can buy bundles of zippers, nice new ones, on Amazon for very little money. Give it a try? I buy them for coin purses and purses. Have used a couple on clothing and they wash just fine.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by dottie dodge View Post
Have you looked at https:///www.etsy.com/shop/zipit I think they are reasonable and they have fun bright colors!
I buy lots of zippers from zipit for my purses. Their service, quality, and price can't be beat. Have not, however, made any sweet pea pods.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM

I agree with dottie dodge. I got a few extras when I ordered a lot of zippers and a coupon!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Some of you posting are not understanding the issue -- you use half the zipper, as in one side of the tape, to make a bag. That leaves you with the entire length of the zipper, one side of it only, unused. Since I would never use a flower rosette, that would be waste for me.

Fortunately, it is possible to get extra pulls, and it can be a fun design element to mix and match the color of the pull with the tape/coil.

Ah, I get it. that was not how I was picturing it. really, though, you could mix the leftovers up and have cute zippers for other bags or projects. I think they would be great for zippered totes for kids
Old 01-11-2016, 05:26 AM

I got some from Home Sew. They have several different packages of zippers available all reasonable priced.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 AM

http://www.zipperstop.com/ (New York Factory)
I have been getting them there for years. Great reps too, if you need to call them.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
Some of you posting are not understanding the issue -- you use half the zipper, as in one side of the tape, to make a bag. That leaves you with the entire length of the zipper, one side of it only, unused. Since I would never use a flower rosette, that would be waste for me.

Fortunately, it is possible to get extra pulls, and it can be a fun design element to mix and match the color of the pull with the tape/coil.
I had this discussion at a LQS too. If you get the additional zipper pulls it would give you many more options and a better use of your money so I'll stick with the Atkinson brand.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:50 PM

Thanks so much for the info on Zipit. Much better prices than my supplier and more size and color choices as well. I put in an order last night for zippers and extra heads (with pulls attached).