Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
**********International RR3 Group 14  "Traveling Quilts"********** >

**********International RR3 Group 14 "Traveling Quilts"**********

**********International RR3 Group 14 "Traveling Quilts"**********

Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM

Checking in on you ladies.
Seems everything is in order and going smoothly so far?
Please, PLEASE, PLEASE...take your time on the borders. The first border may ONLY be a small one, but you never know, you might decide AFTER you put the border on that you have another idea.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND EARLY UNLESS IT IS GOING OVERSEAS!!! WE DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GET BACKED UP BY SOMEONE SENDING AND SENDING BECAUSE THEY ARE DONE. THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! IT'S NOT A CONTEST TO SEE WHO CAN BE DONE THE QUICKEST!!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Things are going great Terri. I sent my center out the 1st of Sept to make sure it made it through Canadian customs/mail and it took about 10 days to go through. That'll give me some sort of idea of how much time it should take. We had 2 centers that were waiting on labels but I heard from Sherryl today and centers are on their way!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lori L
Sherryl.....good luck with your class tonight! Can't wait to get your center!!!
I had my class yesterday morning at 10:30 and then I went home and worked on them til 3:00 this morning. Still didn't get all of them finished until around noon today. Here are a few pictures of what I ended up with. I redid a couple of them. But all 4 of the labels and their prospect centers went out today on time.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Attached Thumbnails attachment-112447.jpe   attachment-112448.jpe   attachment-112449.jpe  
Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 AM

Oh my goodness, those labels are amazing!!!!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Sherryl.....they are beautiful! Looks like you remembered more about how to use your embroidery machine then you thought. I love them! Looking forward to receiving your center! I'll let you know when it arrives.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:05 AM

Sherryl.......I'm on my way out the door to work my 36hr weekend shift. But when I get a minute, I want to post a picture of the quilt I'm working on for my daughter and ask you for some quilting advice. Spent last night looking at some quilting designs but didn't like or couldn't make a decision. It's not a traditional style quilt, more of a modern geometrical design done in bright (and I mean bright) colors. I have the top nearly completed and will be sandwiching it together next week. I know you do some beautiful work and hope you have some suggestions for me. My plan was to handquilt but I've had enough of working on this little baby and just want to get it done. LOL. Do you mind doing this???? Talk to you later, Lori
Old 09-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lori L
Sherryl.......I'm on my way out the door to work my 36hr weekend shift. But when I get a minute, I want to post a picture of the quilt I'm working on for my daughter and ask you for some quilting advice. Spent last night looking at some quilting designs but didn't like or couldn't make a decision. It's not a traditional style quilt, more of a modern geometrical design done in bright (and I mean bright) colors. I have the top nearly completed and will be sandwiching it together next week. I know you do some beautiful work and hope you have some suggestions for me. My plan was to handquilt but I've had enough of working on this little baby and just want to get it done. LOL. Do you mind doing this???? Talk to you later, Lori
Lori,
Thanks for the compliment on the labels. I could remember how to use the embrodiery machine I just couldn't remember how to put the text and the graphics together. Viola! Now I have all the notes I took at the class right inside my computer (which I only use for the embrodiery machine) so when I open it I don't have to try and remember what to do.

I would love to see your quilt top pictures that you are working on for your daughter. It sounds like one of my bright geometric tops that I did using the Margaret Miller Angle Play templates. She always uses "bright" fabrics and I was trying to get as close to what she does as possible ( totally out of my normal comfort zone) but I loved the way it looked when I was done. I can give you all sorts of suggestions and hopefully some of them will be helpful. First question do you have a clear piece of plexi-glass? If not you can get it at Home Depot, Lowes, Eagles basically any hardware store and most of the time they already have pre-cut pieces like 8 x 10 or 12 x 18. Anyway get one that is as big as your biggest block so that when you lay it right on top of your quilt you can see the area you might want to do a design in. Then using dry-erase markers just kind of doodle on the plexi-glass something that works with your block underneath. If you don't like it erase and start over. It gives you alot of ideas of what it would look like when you actually quilt it. If you draw something you like 1) you can either move the plexi-glass to the side where you can still see it and stitch your design or 2) take a photocopy of the plexi-glass with the design still drawn on it on top of the block or area. Digital cameras are great for this. Just play around doodling and trying different things. Plus if you have several geometric blocks that repeat you can use that same design there as well if you want. Helpful hint if you do use plexi-glass get some painters tape in any bright color and put around the edge of the plexi-glass before you start drawing this will help you to keep from going off the edge of the glass and onto your quilt top with the dry-erase marker.

Sorry to hear that you are starting your 36 hours of work. In 36 hours I will be on my way to Maui.
:D :D :D I will taking the laptop to keep checking in here so don't hesitate to ask any questions. I already have a couple of traditional hawaiian quilting classes scheduled for over there. I have been 10+ times so I don't have to do any of the regular touristy things but just kick back and relax. I have been mass busy this week and my longarm and my little short arms (me) are ready for a break.

Take care and will talking with you soon.
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99080.jpe   attachment-99081.jpe  
Old 09-20-2010, 07:02 AM

cdcatlovers....where are you????? I saw your center on the IRR for 2010-2011 thread but you haven't posted here "in our own little corner, in our own little world".... :D.... sorry.... Cinderella relapse.
I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive :D... I'm not the most patient person.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
cdcatlovers....where are you????? I saw your center on the IRR for 2010-2011 thread but you haven't posted here "in our own little corner, in our own little world".... :D.... sorry.... Cinderella relapse.
I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive :D... I'm not the most patient person.
Leota I understand your impatience but guess what????? Sherryl's (candlequilter) center arrived today in the mail and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! :) Seriously, it has the most beautiful fall colors and I'm going to have a ball picking out and auditioning fabrics for the beauty! I've got it hanging on my design wall waiting for her to tell me a story about what she'd like to have done. I've also got it hanging up high enough to keep it away from my puppy.......I think she might smell a cat! LOL I do know Sherryl was completing the labels for her center and cdcatlover's and didn't have them completed until her class on the 14th. So my guess is you'll be getting a surprise in the mail within the next day or so. Hang in there......remember, patience is a virtue :).......easy for me to say now that Sherryl's center is here for me to play with! I know OK Darla has received my center but we still need to hear from cdcatlover about whether or not she has received OK Darla's. I think everyone else is all set. Keep us posted ladies and let the fun begin!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:17 PM

cdcatlover,
Your center arrived today. WOW... IT's so much prettier that the pics show. I was expecting teal, brown and cream (which I like too) not the rich forest green, baby yellow and autumn colors.
Can't wait to get started on your border.