Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: * I SPY SWAP* Join by May 12th, 2014

Those are sweet! I never thought of doing books, but it makes perfect sense.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I thought I'd share a baby shower present I just made for a coworker. She's having a baby girl who "doesn't like pink, but loves teddy bears (not Pooh)." So I used all the bears I had in I-Spy blocks and the backing has a teddy bear print. Which was surprisingly hard to find; apparently everyone wants owls nowadays.
    Name:  I-Spy for Sandy's baby.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  1.14 MB

Fabulous I Spy quilt, Snowcleo... I'm sure your co worker is going to love that! I have put together two tops, one boy-themed and one for a girl, that I'll show after I get them quilted.

I know what you mean about the owls... very popular. Foxes are starting to pop up everywhere too.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great quilt, Snowcleo! Kind of fun to see some of my charms in there! It's like when you hand down your kids' favorite clothes and then see the younger cousins wearing them. You think "awwwwww, I remember that one."

Blog Entries
    PeginCO.....your book is adorable. What a great idea for a child in the hospital. Are the pages double sided?

Snowcleo.... love your I Spy quilt. It is fun seeing the charms I swapped. I like your arrangement of colors.

Blog Entries
    Super cute ISpy. I love it. Owlie, I will be mailing out 4sets to you tomorrow. I will confirm with a pm to you!
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee

Dottie dodge, yes, it is double-sided. I've been preparing all day for tomorrow's I Spy book making. Everyone is getting excited and calling to see if this fabric or that fabric will work. Going with a more simple layout using mostly 5" and 2.5" charms alongside full pages. I will post a pic of the work day (oh, who am I kidding...the party!) and the results!

eta - photos of the flip side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by PeginCO; 05-01-2014 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Trying to add photos

Blog Entries
    Wonderful ladies!love love the idea about the I Spy book. Why didn't I think of that? Much easier for children to carry a long. Maybe we can put a twist on our next swap and have 2 1/2 inch charms . You made me start thinking.
    The quilt is beautiful too. I'll have to show you the girl and boy I Spy Swap quilt I made. Need to find the pictures.

Judith will be looking for the pm.
    We need a few more people to sign up so we don't have doubles. Put the word out there or I can extend the deadline until we reach enough players.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Owlvamp, Another alternative to a 2 1/2" swap is a 5-inch "small scale" swap. Swappers would need to make sure their charms were dense with images, though. That way those who want 5" charms still get them, and those who want smaller can cut their charms to 2 1/2" and get 4 out of each block. That's what I did with this last swap. It worked great because I was able to keep a 2 1/2" charm for myself, and use three others for books.

Here are some great examples from my LQS:

And others cut from your most recent swap:

Blog Entries
    Great idea! That way everyone would win. They could cut there own. I like this too. Thanks.

Love the bird houses and birdies. I need some of those.
    Sandra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeginCO View Post
    Dottie dodge, yes, it is double-sided. I've been preparing all day for tomorrow's I Spy book making. Everyone is getting excited and calling to see if this fabric or that fabric will work. Going with a more simple layout using mostly 5" and 2.5" charms alongside full pages. I will post a pic of the work day (oh, who am I kidding...the party!) and the results!

eta - photos of the flip side.
    These ate adorable. Thanks for sharing them with us. Just might have to make one for my grandson.

Blog Entries
    Owlie, pm has been sent. Mailed 4 Sets off this morning.

Blog Entries
    1. givio --------------4 sets (Received)
    2. PeginCo ----------6 sets
    3. Lstew2212 -------6 sets
    4. Snowcleo ---------6 sets ( Received)
    5. wendiq -----------6 sets ( Received)
    6. Judith1005 -------4 sets
    7. moonrise ---------6 sets (Received)
    8. frizzymama13 ----6 sets (Received)
    9. missabissa ------- 3 sets
    10. Library.Lil -------6 sets
    11. mrshalibut ------6 sets
    12. Bullock2us ------6 sets
    13. dottie dodge ----6 sets
    14. sewbizgirl -------6 sets ( Received)
    15. Gannyrosie------5 sets
    16. kylersky --------6 sets ( Received)
    17. oneteappot------6 sets
    Sandra

I'm in for 5 sets. Sending PM.

Name:  photo (12).JPG
Views: 68
Size:  153.2 KB

Kele, the little astronaut boy charm so adorable! Great choices!

PeginCo, I like the idea of small scale charms. I'm collecting 3.5 in. squares for a "story quilt", so that would be helpful! ; ) it's easy to cut a 5" charm down to size.

Blog Entries
    I have you down kele. Love the fabric choice too.

1. givio --------------4 sets (Received)
    2. PeginCo ----------6 sets
    3. Lstew2212 -------6 sets
    4. Snowcleo ---------6 sets ( Received)
    5. wendiq -----------6 sets ( Received)
    6. Judith1005 -------4 sets
    7. moonrise ---------6 sets (Received)
    8. frizzymama13 ----6 sets (Received)
    9. missabissa ------- 3 sets
    10. Library.Lil -------6 sets
    11. mrshalibut ------6 sets
    12. Bullock2us ------6 sets
    13. dottie dodge ----6 sets
    14. sewbizgirl -------6 sets ( Received)
    15. Gannyrosie------5 sets
    16. kylersky --------6 sets ( Received)
    17. oneteappot------6 sets
    18. kele--------------5 sets
    Sandra

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  1.31 MBWell, I'm completely exhausted, but we had a GREAT day of making I Spy books and bracelet kits. In all, we will have about 10 books - a few need finishing details. And we have pieced pages for several more....just need more time to sew the panels together.

I love the idea of the I spy books. Thanks, I am going to make one for a baby gift that I need. Great way to use up left over batting and material. I always have left over batting. I can't throw anything away.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

Blog Entries
    Here is the sign up for the next I Spy swap. http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...ml#post6701765
    Sandra

I love those books! Did you follow a pattern or tutorial? My brain has trouble with stuff like that sometimes. I would need instructions to follow. Would love to make some for my son & niece.

Library Lil -
    For the books, I basically followed the tutorial on Skip to my Lou (hope this link works):
    http://www.skiptomylou.org/2011/09/1...ic-i-spy-book/

But I did not use a wonky piecing. I just used mostly square charms. I pieced the pages first. On my first book, it was very randomly sewn together....lots of work. On the following books, I did two "columns" - first was 5" square on top of either two 2 1/2 inch squares or a 2/ 1/5 X 5 strip (this was easier by far). Second column had the smaller piece(s) on top and another 5 inch on bottom....so your two 5 inch blocks are overlapping by a row when you place them side by side. See the pictures in the post-book-making party thread for an idea of what I mean by that.

When I had four or six pieced pages, I cut an equal number of full size page pieces with lots of objects on them. I cut these to the trimmed size of the other pages. Sew these together into two equal strips, alternating pieced and full pages. Iron fusible fleece onto the wrong side of the back strip. Lay the front strip on top of the back strip, right sides facing. Pin and sew all the way around leaving a four inch gap in one of the full pages for turning. Turn, push out the corners, iron, and sew a very close seam along the side with the gap - all the way across. Stitch in the ditch along page seams.

Iron accordion style, and sew a ribbon to the back page. You can make a tab instead, as I did in my first one and as she does in the tutorial...BUT make sure you attach this, facing inward before you sew around the two strips. I choose the ribbon because I didn't care for the way the accordion style still left the back open, and I was also looking for a quick way to add a closure to the books.

That's it! Have fun!

Thanks! I really want to try it! I take it you used 5" squares instead of the 6 1/2 in the tutorial? I think 5" will work better for me since I have so many. And I'm more likely to have 5" long batting scraps.

For those who also need the tutorial, the link didn't completely work, but it did get me to Skip to My Lou. From there, I used her search function and typed in "I Spy Book" and that found it.

Yes, I did use 5" because that's what I had cut already. Thanks for the link info...sorry I didn't try it after I posted it.

Ok, two things....
    first, Library Lil - the blocks were 5" and 2.5" but when assembled, the whole page was about 7 x 5 1/2 (some came out at 8 x 6).

second, regarding fussy cutting....I always thought this meant getting at least one whole image in the square (remembering to visually take away the 1/4-inch seam) but not necessarily dead center. So, it hit me that this may not be the true definition. Can someone clarify for me? For instance, I personally would accept these in the picture below...but maybe someone else would be unhappy with this? If so, I might have to substitute some fabric. If it does need to be dead center, I'll have more questions.

Those look good to me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast