Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Anyone interested in an I Spy swap? >

Anyone interested in an I Spy swap?

Anyone interested in an I Spy swap?

Old 01-08-2024, 08:19 AM

We don't have a particular theme. The point is to make a child's "I Spy" quilt. It's a game you play with little ones. A three-year-old is about the perfect age to play the game. Generally, an adult and a child play. (At least, this is how we played when the grands were small.) The adult says, "I spy with my little eye a horse." The child has to find the horse. Of course, they are delighted to look for the horse as they are getting your undivided attention. One of my late husband's great-grands would jump on the object when she found it. As they get older, you can find objects that are harder to find on the quilt. They generally outgrow them by the age of 5 or so, but they seem to keep them just for "old times sake". My grand-nephew is 12, but still uses his for a snuggle quilt. I gave one to one of the now grown up kids who worked for me when his son was a toddler. The child has some learning difficulties, and they used his I Spy quilt to help him with work on forming words.

I guess the theme is a 5" square with a clearly identifiable object printed on it that child would recognize. I posted some of the I spy quilts I made on the pictures thread. You can get an idea of what to do. I like to sash my quilts, but most other people don't.

bkay

Old 01-08-2024, 09:29 AM

I've also used them as the back side for kid's quilts. My neighbor watched our house for three weeks when we were south, and I made a quilt for her grandson. the Dinos went on the front and the eye spy on the back. That used up most of the blocks I had from a previous swap so I'm ready to get more.

Attached Thumbnails 20231120_104848.jpg  
Old 01-08-2024, 11:11 AM

Just a note about starting swaps - Rules For Swaps And Similar Activities - Updated 8 December 2010
Old 01-08-2024, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
Thanks, Janey. I checked with Patrice last month and got permission to host an I Spy swap. I wasn't sure there would be enough interest to make one viable. We've not done one since 2019. That's why I posted the questions previous to announcing the actual swap - just to see if there was interest. I believe I have complied with all the rules. If I missed one, let me know.

I officially posted the swap with rules and dates just now. Questions can be posted here and also there.

bkay
Old 01-08-2024, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I've also used them as the back side for kid's quilts. My neighbor watched our house for three weeks when we were south, and I made a quilt for her grandson. the Dinos went on the front and the eye spy on the back. That used up most of the blocks I had from a previous swap so I'm ready to get more.
Great quilt. You are so talented. You do all those great quilts with little pieces and they turn out looking perfect.
bkay
Old 01-08-2024, 03:01 PM

Default I made a mistake on numbers

I remembered incorrectly. It wasn't 8 charms per bag, it was 10. It was 8 bags to a set. I apologize.
bkay
Old 01-08-2024, 04:42 PM

I checked today and do not have enough novelty fabric that would work for this swap. I’m bummed I won’t be able to join in but wish you all the best in the swap!
Old 01-10-2024, 04:25 PM

I'm checking out fabric today.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by m-fay View Post
I'm checking out fabric today.
Did you work out the logistics of mailing to/from Australia?

bkay