Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April 2010 Doll Quilt Swap >

April 2010 Doll Quilt Swap

April 2010 Doll Quilt Swap

Old 04-14-2010, 09:25 AM

Whoo-hoo!! I will checking the mail box on a daily basis!! I must have know because I spent several hours on your quilt last night. It's only the 14th, so it will not be late, it will be mailed as soon as I can finish it up. Oh!! I can hardly wait!! It's like Christmas time! ;)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Sorry if I sound stupid BUT what are doll quilts used for????? I have been thinking that all of you are making the most gorgeous doll quilts for little girls to play with???Or are the little quilts used as decoration???
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Basically they are a way for us to try new things, I use them to decorate my sewing room. They could be used for table toppers too.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
Basically they are a way for us to try new things, I use them to decorate my sewing room.
Me too -- and my hallway right outside my sewing room :D
Old 04-14-2010, 09:42 AM

My granddaughter has talked me out of one of my quilts. She uses it as a wall hanging in her bedroom, she loves daises. The rest I've been using as table toppers. I change them with the season. The small size quilt has let me try new techniques, without having to commit to a huge project. I've also used colors that normally I would never play with. The best part of the entire swap is getting to meet new friends!! :-P
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM

Thanks for replying to my sily question. Good idea for learning new techniques with. I would probably have to make the little quilts for my granddaughters' dolls.

Grama Lehr - you are right you meet new friends. I am involved wth a swap and I have met new people on the board. it is so much fun.

ciao
Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by dannypanny
Thanks for replying to my sily question. Good idea for learning new techniques with. I would probably have to make the little quilts for my granddaughters' dolls.

Grama Lehr - you are right you meet new friends. I am involved wth a swap and I have met new people on the board. it is so much fun.

ciao
Not a silly question, it's actually a silly name for small quilts!! :wink:
Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 PM

[quote=Quilt4u]jan10 and swimer girl
I'm working on both of your quilts at the same time. Got alot done last night. Sure hope you like them?[/quote

I can hardly wait...I saw that you volunteerd for making an xtra quilt so I know you are working hard...did you make the same quilt for both of us??? that probably would have been easier and I know we willl love it ..Hugs SG
Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by moosegirl
Originally Posted by swimer girl
Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
Swimmer Girl, what a darling quilt! Looks more like a picture! ;-) I think that I will need to add some yo-yos to my next project. That will be another first for me!! :-P Are they hard to make??
Hi Grama...thanks for the kind words....no they are very easy....
take a saucer or cup or glass depending on the size you want (you might have to make some samples) and draw around the saucer...making a nice circle. Very close to the cut (raw) edge and using a strong or doubled thread make a tiny running stitch all around the edge..Then pull the thread up tight. Move the gathered center to the center of the circle and sort of flatten it out...I put a button over the raw edge This kind of yoyo is good for dolls as the centers don't show. This is the only way I know how to make them, so hope this helps you....perhaps others have a better method ...hugs SG
You can turn under 1/4" as you do your running stitch to gather the circle in the center, then tie a couple of strong knots to hold. This gives you a finished edge for decorating anything. The craft stores how have a gadget to help make yo-yo's in all sizes. Moosegirl
Thanks Moosegirl...I didn't know that there is a gadget for making these. i will get one also...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
I've seen them, are they made by Clover? I think I will take by 50% off coupon from Joanne's a get me a set.
Moosegirl, have you ever used the gizmo? :?
Grama Lehr,
I have a Clover yo-yo maker and they come in different sizes. Haven't used it as yet.
A lady made about 2000 yo-yo pins, adding leaves on each side of the yo-yo and attached a pin thing-a-ma-gig to the back so you can wear it or attach it to something. She made them for our quilt show next week. Come to our quilt show and you will have a choice of a mug mat (coaster) or a yo-yo pin. Come see over 300 quilts. It is a great show in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. Hope to see all the board members at the show. Wouldn't that be nice.
Hi Blue Bell... I didn't know about the yoyo maker...I'll have to get one for the next quilt that I am making...hugs...also wish I could make the show too ..good luck with your entries.