Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
APRIL 2012 DOLL QUILT SWAP SIGN UP - Closes Midnight EST March 30 >

APRIL 2012 DOLL QUILT SWAP SIGN UP - Closes Midnight EST March 30

APRIL 2012 DOLL QUILT SWAP SIGN UP - Closes Midnight EST March 30

Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by JoAnnGC View Post
Thanks for the compliment, Linda! I had a fun time making it and sticking to the challege of only using two colors.

The label is not very difficult to make. I take white muslin and iron it onto the shiny side of freezer paper (purchased at the supermarket near plastic wrap and such) and then trim it down to about 7"x10". I then tape it along the top and bottom to a piece of printer paper to give it a bit more stability. On my computer I compose the text using the font style and size of my choice and sometimes add optional clip art to the label design. I then print it out on a test sheet to make sure that I am satisfied with the look and placement on the page. Then I feed the fabric sheet into the ink jet (not laser) printer and out comes the label which I trim to the appropriate size and shape. I add borders or binding along the edges of the label, peel off the paper backing and then attach it to the back of the quilt. On this particular quilt I just added binding along the long side of the label and sewed the raw sides of the triangle right along with the binding seam of the quilt. It's important to heat set the label with a steam iron to prevent fading. There are also products available to soak your fabric to help set the ink permanently but I have not found a need for this for label making. To simplify this whole process you can purchase fabric sheets already prepared for printing but they are very expensive and I'd rather spend the money on fabric! I really enjoy naming my quilts, documenting when and for whom it was made and customizing the labels to coordinate with the whole design. You can also use this printing method to add photos or other graphic art to your quilts.
Thanks for the info about printing labels from the computer.
I need to try this.
The ink doesn't come out in the wash? My quilts get used & washed a lot!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Geese at Sunset is very cool! Great combination of elements, bright summery colors and awesome quilting...great job, MdmSew'n'Sew!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 AM

I have used four different ink jet printers to make quilt labels and always use the original ink cartridges intended for those printers (no cheap substitute ink). Most ink jet printers made nowadays use permanent fade-proof inks suitable for photos, graphics, documents, etc. I have washed and dried my quilts numerous times and have not had a problem with bleeding or fading on the label. If in doubt about your printer, just make a test label using text, colored graphics or clip art, photos, etc. then print it out and set it with a steam iron. Throw it in with a load of laundry using your regular detergent. Hopefully, you will have the same happy results that I have had Have fun with it!

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Thanks for the info about printing labels from the computer.
I need to try this.
The ink doesn't come out in the wash? My quilts get used & washed a lot!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM

JoAnn, thank you so much for your wonderful instructions. Your method seems so practical and much less expensive. I will be using your method. It looks like you used black ink but have you made labels printed in any of the colors available with your ink jet?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

MdmSew'n'Sew, WoW! You geese at sunset quilt is so unique and creative. Thanks for all the photos of details.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Linda, yes, I have used a variety of colors on my labels and have had no problems. If in doubt, do a test label and wash it to see the results. Since it's so inexpensive to make these labels a little experimentation won't make you feel like you're throwing money out the window. I like that you can change the font style and add a bit of clip art to customize your label. There's no limit but your imagination!

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams View Post
JoAnn, thank you so much for your wonderful instructions. Your method seems so practical and much less expensive. I will be using your method. It looks like you used black ink but have you made labels printed in any of the colors available with your ink jet?
Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM

This is the adorable quilt that I received from Jaunty Melissa...L*O*V*E the colors!! The back has a sparkly silver through it!! Thanks Melissa[ATTACH=CONFIG]334706[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]334707[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]334708[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001-640x480-.jpg   002-640x480-.jpg   003-640x480-.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Swap Hosts

Well don, FDIL!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 AM

Again, I start my day looking at all the gorgeous quilts in the swap. I love the colors Jaunty Melissa used, and the unique shape and style of "Geese at Sunset". There was a blue and tan one a few pages back that was also awesome! Thanks for the great start to my day! Mary
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Oh wow, beautiful quilts!!!