Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st >

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I will have to check the beads at wal-mart. I think what I am looking for the most, but just haven't done it yet is the longer pins to decorate themselves. I want to check the flower shops too that make corsages.

Mary let us know what you figure out on a fancy pin display. That is a wonderful idea.

Lots a person can pick up on our swap for sure.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

you can always cove a pc of Styrofoam with fabric, velvet or satin
and stick the pins in that. or make a nice long pc,
maybe 15" long and put them in that.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:32 AM

You can get the longer floral pins at JoAnn's. They are not in the Bridal section but where the styrofoam and moss is. This is what I use to hold my hatpins/stickpins. The two in the front are salt and pepper shakers that I got at the Dollar Tree for $1. The others 2 I got at thrift shops and the other one is a real hatpin holder that I got on Ebay.
Attached Thumbnails stickpin-holders-001.jpg  
Old 04-09-2014, 06:04 AM

I'm not sure if this went through. I tried to edit it but couldn't
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Pat those are all so beautiful. I really like the holders too. I was thinking more along the line of what Lynnie suggested. A long piece of Styrofoam covered really pretty or a long pin cushion. I've seen silver trays that have legs on them about 3" wide by about 10" long. maybe use it for a base and put a pretty cushion in it. Now that I need one I probably won't find one. I'll post a picture when I make one. Whenever that might be,lol.Have a good day ladies I'm off to the doc'. My pals should receive their items today. Hugs Mary
Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

I seen a pic of a holder last night looking around, and it was just made with a very pretty china cup glued or sitting on a matching china saucer with the cushion in the china cup covered in velvet. It was very pretty, but of course not wide.

I want to also make me a stiletto, and always heard to look for a turkey thing. I forget what you call it now. lol... But last fall I looked in the stores for one, and didn't see one.

I am hoping to have my needle book ready to go out tomorrow. I have to pick up a couple of things today, and then package it up tonight. I found a pretty packaging thing when I was at the doctors last week at their larger post office.

nhnative I think the way you have yours displayed is very pretty. A very nice look, and makes me think now, that in one of my bedrooms I have some very cute glass containers that I picked up once at a antique store, and didn't really know what to do with them so they are sitting on my dresser. I may have to check them out now for my pins.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 04-09-2014 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

beautiful pin holders. Mary, maybe look for a pickle dish, you know one of those silver dishes no one knows what to do with.
Love that hat pin holder, so pretty.
those turkey things are the needles you sew a the turkey after stuffing it. I saw them in the food stores by the turkeys, ask a butcher. also at bed, bath and beyond. Try them, good luck, Susan.
waiting on pictures today. It's so beautiful out here about 60*, I have the window open and Zoey is in it smelling the air, and looking for critters. enjoy the day everyone.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

It is 70 here today, and so pretty outside. I nice day to get out. I have got to get my bunnies for the nieces made too.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

just came back from joanns and walmart, picked up insulabright and tea towels to emb on. a friend gave me a shashiko pillow to do,i think i'll bring it on the cruise for downtime.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:52 PM

It's so nice to see the pictures start to show up! Should be a couple more any time now.

I still have all my pins in the pincushion/needlecase that they came in, but I like the idea of grouping them together. I might put the styrofoam in one of my vases and then the pins would look sort of like a bouquet.

lynnie I have been admiring the shashiko stitching, but haven't tried it yet. I have done very little embroidery or cross stitch in the last few years. I had to quit when the pain in my thumbs got really bad. I can only hold the needle for brief periods and it makes my very frustrated. The arthritis in my mom's thumbs got so bad that they removed bones from her wrists. It made a big difference, not an option for me without insurance.