Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st >

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

April 2014 Pincushion & Needlecase Swap ~ sign up closes April 1st

Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

cool coyote. we don't have any around here. we do have wild dogs that can be
quite mean though. it's 32* and winds are whipping. there's sand and dirt flying by like the tornado in the Wizard of Oz.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
We are suppose to have many around here but I have yet to see one and I'm not sure I would know what it is if I did see one except if it was in a pack. Looks a lot like a dog to me. I do worry about it when we are working outside as we have a small survey business.
What part of Pa are you in? I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh. I'm in a city that seems more rural to me and I haven't seen any coyotes near me. I had to drive 22 miles to see this one. And if you are walking on the paved trails they tell you that it is their habitat and to be careful of them. Isn't that great. Just what you want to see when you are walking.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:28 PM

Yippee, another newbie to our group. Welcome!
Old 03-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I live across from a cemetery, and we have more deer than anyone could ever want. they eat all the flowers
and have a blast knowing no one will shoot them there. they are pretty.
If I go to the beach about 15 min fromhere, they are all over. they have signs telling you not to feed them, but who reads those signs???? they are covered in ticks though. they run up to your car looking for food.
but no coyotes here.

~~~~~~~~Welcome all new comers.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:39 PM

Welcome to our little corner of the board eyes! Please don't worry about your skill level, all we ask is that you do the best you can. I know my skills are not up to those of some of our swappers. I make something a little simpler so that I can make sure it is as neatly done as possible.

I don't worry too much about the coyotes when I am hiking or camping, I am more concerned with the raccoons since they will undo tent zippers. And now the bears are making a comeback.

Here is our list of swappers so far:
1. lynnie - pincushion
2. klaws - pincushion
3. nhnative - two pincushions
4. lawsonmugs - pincushion & needlecase
5. cherrio - two pincushions
6. eyes - pincushion & needlecase
Old 03-26-2014, 01:47 PM

Welcome to all the new comers.

Laurie Do you go camping around here? I was on the Ira towpath once and saw a snake and didn't go back. And the time before that it was getting dark so I started back and heard something moving in the woods and it was 2 deer. I'm not an outdoor person. I bought 2 bikes when I first came here and haven't gotten on either of them. My idea of camping is a motel and a restaurant. A friend of mine saw a bear off of Hunter Parkway last winter.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:56 PM

DH & DS camped at both scout camps quite frequently, and the three of us have camped at Silver Springs in Stow. Most of our family camping though has been further afield. I am not a primitive camper, we go to parks that have some sort of bathroom facility. I haven't been on a bicycle in probably 35 years. There used to be tons of raccoons at both scout camps and then one year they practically disappeared. The ranger said the coyotes got them lol.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by nhnative View Post
What part of Pa are you in? I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh. I'm in a city that seems more rural to me and I haven't seen any coyotes near me. I had to drive 22 miles to see this one. And if you are walking on the paved trails they tell you that it is their habitat and to be careful of them. Isn't that great. Just what you want to see when you are walking.
I am 35 miles northeast of Pittsburgh in a rural setting.

I have seen a bear before on Piper Road when driving my car. And that is where the coyotes were seen. Indian Road Hill has more of a problem with them because they are even more rural with houses further apart. We have the usual animals in our back yard...up to 19 deer, woodchucks, possums, raccoons, bunnies, squirrels, outdoor cats and dogs running loose. And hawks and a young bald eagle flew by a couple of weeks ago. There's a nest down near the Kiski River.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM

We do see most of the same critters here, although no bald eagles and usually no more than 4-6 deer. But we are in the heart of suburbia. Also the occasional skunk, fortunately not often.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Power Poster

welcome to the newbies !!! I have seen 2 bald eagles around my farm. I once read most people will never see a bald eagle in their lifetime unless it is in captivity. I don't remember why. It's sad because they are fabulous to see and so regal looking. Makes me proud to see one knowing they represent America.I see deer and turkeys and fox almost daily here. My husband was digging in the garden a couple days ago and seen something pink in the ground. He looked closer and they were newborn rabbits. I asked if there were any eggs left unhatched. (you know easter eggs....bunnies) He didn't get it. I need to get out and get a picture of our brand new heifer calf born yesterday. We have mostly black angus crosses that are black in color.The new calf is white. Very cute. We also have a lot of skunks here. My cocker spaniel got sprayed 3 times in less than a month 2 years ago. He still has a hint of odor when he gets wet. Whewie.