Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS >

AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS

AUGUST - Scrappy Block Swap – SCRAPPY TRIPS

Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 PM

SheriR, so nice to have a sister that you can sew with. I have one that I sew with too. :-) My son recently moved to Boise. I'd like to visit Idaho someday. You sure have a big room, to fit both tops there! That's really cool how you decided to use your leftover pieces blocks. I like how it looks. Like borders on the sides. Good choice! How different the two tops look, amazing.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 AM

Givio, I'm glad you could tell what I'd tried to do. The extra blocks turned out more scrappy looking, compared to the others, than I'd expected. I'm still toying with just making six more blocks, which will give me more scrappy ends..... It, quilting, is just a never ending beast, isn't it....

(My brother and a couple of nieces live in Boise!!!)
Old 10-18-2014, 04:35 PM

Took mine out of the bag today and just started placing them on the wall. Have to admit ladies I normally do not do scrappy so can use all the help and suggestions you can give me. Do you just sew these together? Do I have them laid out wrong? help?
Attached Thumbnails dscf2354.jpg  
Old 10-18-2014, 05:13 PM

They look great, Jaba. I don't think there's a wrong setting with these blocks. You've got a great diamond pattern laid out. Looks great!

Jane

PS- I see my block!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:20 PM

I think it looks good too. I wondered when I laid out mine and my sister took the pictures and had me look at it through the picture. It really made a difference. Check Pinterest for other layouts if you want. You can do a zig zag or surrounding diagonal, where you put the center in your square pattern and surround the outside blocks in line directions, not more squares. (Does that make sense?)
Old 10-18-2014, 06:48 PM

Every single block is in there, just need to make 1 more. I'm thinking of getting in my scrap bucket and making a scrappy piano key border for it, that would fit??? What a novelty, I'm finally using them instead of giving them away.
Bought some more black and white and finishing the last set in that swap, will be mailing those soon. Thanks ladies for the replies, very appreciated!!
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 PM

Jaba, it's beautiful! Yes, I agree with SheriR, it really helped me when I looked at a picture of my layout too. In fact, I took out a seam and traded the place of two blocks after taking the picture because I saw in the picture that I would like it better if the two blocks were switched. Jane was right too, the blocks look great any way! I've seen the zigzag layout and the Trip around the World layout and they are nice too. If anyone is up for a second round of this block, let me know, I'd do a swap again. :-)
Old 10-19-2014, 08:53 PM

Ok here's my sisters all finished!!! I'll have to mail it to her, she went home yesterday. I'm going to make me new blocks so I don't have scrappy ones, them I'll finish mine. My sister and I will have matching quilts to remember her visit by. (added picture of evil kitty. She HAD to sit on the quilt every time I walked away from it. Maybe she misses my sister and her puppy.)
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by SheriR; 10-19-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:09 AM

Oh, SheriR, thanks for sharing! Your quilting looks cool-- that's inspiring! I thought a 2" grid (by stitching in the ditch) would look nice on my back, but I'll have to re-think that now. I might have to do the 'imitation is the best form of flattery' thing... :-)
Old 10-20-2014, 01:10 AM

Loving how everyone has laid out their blocks, haven't laid mine out yet. Busy with two other commitments. But as soon as they are finished, this one will be next. Can't wait to start. I'm loving the piano key border idea. I have so many strips left and some not used, so that gives me a great idea. I think though I'm going to put a cream or very like small border first and then the piano key border. Will post a pic when I get it together.