Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Autumn Leaves Block Swap- Sign ups close 9/15/2015 >

Autumn Leaves Block Swap- Sign ups close 9/15/2015

Autumn Leaves Block Swap- Sign ups close 9/15/2015

Old 09-27-2015, 06:00 PM

Might be Jane. About 3 years ago they had a Christmas swap like that. If you made 3x3 or 3x6 you had to do 2 instead of one to be equal to a 6x9 or 12x12. Can honestly tell you most of mine are still in a drawer. It ended up so hard to put together it was a complete mess for me. Maybe not for someone else....I have used a few for mug rugs or a mini wall hanging and gave them away. Some were very nice blocks so I wanted to use them. Just my opinion...
Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

Flower blocks sound like a great idea! I like the multiple sizes as well. That way, you can get some pretty blocks, and create a lovely garden..
Old 09-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
Just a thought, if Mariposa (or someone else) wants to take it & run with it - - - how about flower quilt blocks with sizes in multiples of 3? Did some checking online and there are tons of cool quilt blocks.

Could be something, huh???
Are you thinking floral fabrics? i have tons of that and set it aside to do a florabunda quilt.
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/...a-re-post.html
Old 09-28-2015, 05:31 AM

I prefer the multiplies of 3" blocks...but then I like the challenge of putting them together, making my own "filler" blocks, etc. It's just a nice change...I love flower blocks! Spring in the winter is refreshing for sure.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
I prefer the multiplies of 3" blocks...but then I like the challenge of putting them together, making my own "filler" blocks, etc. It's just a nice change...I love flower blocks! Spring in the winter is refreshing for sure.
Hmmm you like the challenge of putting them together? I have bins of swap blocks like it that need arranging. LOL How far do you live from me?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Ronda what blocks do you have in mind? Paper pieced?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Ronda what blocks do you have in mind? Paper pieced?
Anna, you know I love paper pieced blocks, but I'm happy with more normal blocks! Come on up to Washington! I'll help you lay out your blocks for sure!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rwquilts View Post
Anna, you know I love paper pieced blocks, but I'm happy with more normal blocks! Come on up to Washington! I'll help you lay out your blocks for sure!
My mind is just boggling trying to figure out how else to make a 3 inch flower block. It is just too small for me. 6 inch is definitely one of my favorite sizes.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
My mind is just boggling trying to figure out how else to make a 3 inch flower block. It is just too small for me. 6 inch is definitely one of my favorite sizes.
I think I misunderstood your question...yes! If I were to make that small of a block, I would definetely paper piece it. But I don't think in block swaps, the 3" size is all that popular...a 3 x 6 or 6x6 would be a bit easier...most people don't enjoy the teensie tiny blocks...and I still have many of them in my quilting drawers. I remember one Rhonda hosted a couple of years ago with chickens...still have the blocks and they are neatly together, but haven't had the space to really finish it, cause it's going to be huge (and I'm too stubborn to break it up cause I LOVE these blocks)! I've enjoyed the change of pace with this swap for me, making a standard size block. It was a fun change!

Last edited by rwquilts; 09-29-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the clarification. I am committed this year to work on putting swap blocks together and making them into quilts. yes, I did the chicken swap too and I think I made 4 three inch blocks with an egg and yolk on them. there was a limited as to how many small blocks people could enter. I think it was one set and they were swapped out with other small blocks. I wished I could come up and with your help have a fun afternoon putting tops together.