Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open!  :) >

BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

BOOM 18 Sign-ups are now Open! :)

Old 12-26-2016, 08:05 PM

We also have a smoker. I bought it for DH for my birthday. He is known for his smoked meats. Needless to say, my parties are always well attended, especially if they know the smoker is fired up. Pulled pork is my favorite, but it takes a long time. He makes a mean tri-tip. One nice thing about Southern California is we never have to shovel snow off of it.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:56 AM

I didnt even think of Pulled Pork on a smoker...thats one of my favorites made in a crock pot but I bet it would be wonderful smoked! YOU bought it for DH for your birthday?? You must really love his smoked meats! My son said he wants to try to smoke cheese? Never heard of that... He made sure to tell me it comes with a stand and a cover to keep it out of the weather!
Old 12-27-2016, 04:49 AM

I love my smoker, I bought it for myself for mothers day and have smoked lots of different things in it, ribs, pulled pork, cornish game hens, turkey, salmon, I love smoked cheese but I never thought to do it myself. I may try that next. I still can't get my brisket right though, It tastes good but I just can't get it tender, I'm going to try one more time and if it's not right I'm just going to give up.

Molly your right that is an awesome benefit of almost all of California, although my Christmas eve plans were thwarted it was way to windy at my place to grill steaks I had to do it in the house.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Billi yesterday the wind was atrocious here, felt like I was at the lake in the trailer. Was pretty surprised when I went to garage last night and door was frozen shut. A first for us. Good thing it was discovered last night, can't imagine if dh would have discovered it as he was trying to leave for work

I was thrilled to have the time to sew three BOM blocks yesterday. They are 2016's. Wish I could say I was caught up but have a long way to go.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:18 AM

My saintly brother is taking my mother to store and errands so I am the library using the computers. My mothers home has very little phone reception and I can keep up with the posts but can't really type too much! Loving the photos. I was really down when my DH and DD were sending me pictures of them outside in FL. But the rib roast I made for my mom was one of the best ever and got to enjoy it with my bro and sil and mom. Its all good. I will always want to be everywhere at the same time!!
I have some of the beer fabric - along with a selection of beer, mugs, etc that I used for a quilt. Bring it on. And don't complain if your blocks are stained and askew because i will be thirsty making it!!
Amazing how many do not "do" orange and then we all ooh and ahh over the completed ones. Love the many colors of the floral and my mind is whirling.
Thankfully I should be in FL when the fabric rolls in so I can pick from my stash. Looking forward to seeing all the colors and designs. not sure that wavy pattern will help vertigo - but I managed with the zebra print last year!
Keeping active - with or without grands - is so important. And keeping our minds somewhat sane is to - love this group for that and for always giving a shoulder and understanding. Bless you all the rest of the week and into the new year.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:48 AM

The holidays have been going well so far. We've been playing a lot of scrabble and my husband and I played against my two 6' 3" 20's sons in pickleball. We were thrilled we actually won a few games

My 25 year old and I bought fabric, interfacing and straps so he can make a backpack. He doesn't believe in patterns. He hasn't sewn much. He and my husband made a mock up in paper of the backpack. I looked at the cut list and said that isn't going to work. I finally had to make my own mock up to show them that their's had no seam allowance at the corners and they needed to have seam allowance everywhere. Took about 45 minutes of discussing the issue. sigh...

Three more visitors show up tomorrow and the rest on the 1st. Youngest son is cleaning bathrooms today and setting up beds.

I've been making 12 1/2 blocks practicing the different blocks I'm going to use on the boom fabric. Everything is looking good. I'm making them out of black and white Day of the Dead skull fabric so it will complement the squares you make. Today I'm going to make a mock up for the 'ugly' fabric or the cat fabric. I've already done blocks for the one color block, the orange floral block, and perhaps the beer block. . I'm having too much fun with this boom.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:24 AM

You are more patient and kind then me. If I tried to help them and they argued w/ me I would have said fine go ahead waste your fabric and time, maybe next time you will listen to the actual sewer who knows what she is talking about!
Old 12-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Yep I was very close to doing that but I didn't do a good job at articulating why it wouldn't work until I took a closer look at the mock up. So for a while it was just me saying this won't work without giving a good reason. Once I saw the lack of seam allowances it was game over for them. From now on 'It's my way or the highway'.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:48 AM

Yikes I hate trying to read patterns but really need one if it isn't a square

for you in the warm climates you miss so many adrelin rushes. After our 12" of snow it pored rain for over 8 hours. Today's temps are in the 20's. I drove to weight Watchers on the main roads and no problems because of heavy traffic usage, coming home had to drive about 10 blocks on side streets. Our side streets have parking on both sides of street and the roads are solid ice. I was only going about 10 mph and could feel the car sliding towards a parked car. Thankfully it stopped a foot or so away but let me tell you it gave me a good fright. Unless we get some very warm weather to melt the iced roads the darn stuff will be here for the rest of the winter
Old 12-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

TG, I just noticed your avatar of Santa hand stitching a quilt! Good ole Santa! Love it.

mjp, you are wonderful and patient to actually TEACH sewing to your son. I just snatch things out of their hands and say, 'here, let me do it'. Ha!

Yeah, I'm wondering if the wavy fabric is going to bring back the vertigo I had. It better not!

We had some great news about my hospital stay and tests... I had forgotten about a colonoscopy and other stuff I had done earlier this year, which all went towards my "max out of pocket" for my insurance. All things considered, I will only owe about $1000 for all of this recent hospitalization! And I am going to have one other needed test done before the 31st, so it goes on the same year's deductible. It will be like a free test. Hallelujah!