Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
BOOM 19 Sign-Ups Now Open!  :)  Close 6/30/17 >

BOOM 19 Sign-Ups Now Open! :) Close 6/30/17

BOOM 19 Sign-Ups Now Open! :) Close 6/30/17

Old 06-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Yes, we have marcialee back with us after several rounds off. GramE is back after sitting out one round I believe. We have two totally new people to the QB, both with quilting and sewing experience. They're JayneW and Marlena. Klaws, hav4boys, and Cheesehead are new to the swap but have been on the QB.

Sewbizgirl's tip about a 12 1/2 square is a good one. It'll save you headaches at the end measuring as well as as you go. (You have the opportunity to correct mistakes before the entire block is put together and discover the size is off. Please measure as you go.). If you don't yet have one, look for one. Veteran Boomers will tell you I'm a stickler (read that as a pain in the fanny) about the finished size coming in as close as possible to 12 1/2 inches. Honestly, there should be very little issue with proper sized blocks if you measure as you go. As I do pull a sample from everyone's packet to see how you've done, I can spot a too small or too large block from ten paces. Everyone will be tired of reading my reminders to measure after the first couple of weeks. Please measure and don't rely on your history of having made it properly at some time in the past. I actually had a swapper tell me eons ago that the blocks she'd made worked out the last time. Some were off several inches. Umm, no. Those blocks never saw a ruler or a square. Anyway, please, please, please, everyone measure as you go! Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I see at least 7 new names in our group... (unless they are old-time boomers, coming back.) So excited to have some new friends playing with us!

...Here's a tip for our newbies: Get a 12.5" square ruler, if you don't already have one. It makes it easy to check to see if your finished blocks are the perfect size or need some tweaking. I lay my ruler on top of my block and if the block is too big, I take in a few seams. If it's too small, I let out some seams just a hair, until my block reaches size.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM

4boys I went back and looked at your fabric again I think black and green will look good w/ your fabrics. I like black w/ strong colors I think it pops them like no other color does, and all those fruits naturally are next the greens (leaves)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Again, Kass is on target with her answer. Just keep in mind that there will still be a variation in the fabrics your Boomers will use. Try to be open-minded. When Kass sent paint chips, she still got variations on her teal but I thought they worked well together. I believe she was pretty well pleased over all but we better ask her. Kass??? There were variations; did they work out well for you?

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
4boys, several have included a small swatch of fabric to give a color idea of what color you are really wanting. I have also sent a part of a paint chip in the color I wanted. I think it is especially helpful in colors that have several names
Old 06-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Yes there were variations and they all worked well together, I was very pleased w/ the boom blocks.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Yay! Love to hear that. Thank you for such a quick response.
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Yes there were variations and they all worked well together, I was very pleased w/ the boom blocks.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 AM

Hello everyone! I'm JayneW and I am new to all of this. I've been "seriously" quilting for a bit over a year (but sewing most of my life) and wondered last night if there is such a thing as a block "swap". After a bit of googling, I found all of you and am so excited!

I Love all the advice and "tips", so keep them coming.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-10-2017 at 04:18 AM. Reason: shouting/all CAPS
Old 06-20-2017, 10:56 AM

I do have a couple questions....
1) How do I get my picture to show up with my post? It is on my profile, but not on this post.
2) If you are buying fabric for this swap, how much do you buy? Obviously enough for 20 F8's, but do you buy extra for borders etc....
Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

If doing yardage, the minimum you need is 2.5 yards. (5 wof cuts of 18 inches each) take the selvedges off each wof then 1/4 the length. (it will give you nearly 11 inches) the caveat to that is if your fabric has those insane deep selvedges. The rest depends on your vision for your finished quilt, borders, sashing, extra blocks etc....
Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM

Oh I forgot the picture question, if you are on your lap top and the picture is in a computer file you can click on the frame w/ the tree icon just above the typing box in the posting thing. (love my techy descriptions?????) then click on the option to locate the file in the computer. You can also copy / paste but depending on where you are copying from it sometimes works, I'm sure there are some top secret Cylon rules to when it works and not but I choose to believe it is voodoo magic. If you are starting from the phone, my only suggestion would be to say 3 Hail Mary's and splash some holy water on your phone .................................. or someone working from a phone may have a better suggestion. (no offense meant to any religious groups)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Jayne, there are two pix. One is a profile pic, the other an avatar. The avatar is the one that will show up when you post. Make sure you've posted a pic as your avatar.

Edited to add: go to my profile by clicking my name to the left by the flower. Click view profile. The flower is my avatar but the cat is my profile pic.

How much to buy is totally up to you. If you plan to make a quilt and you want sashings and borders, definitely buy plenty above and beyond the F8 for 20 people.

Originally Posted by JayneW View Post
I do have a couple questions....
1) How do I get my picture to show up with my post? It is on my profile, but not on this post.
2) If you are buying fabric for this swap, how much do you buy? Obviously enough for 20 F8's, but do you buy extra for borders etc....

Last edited by Janice McC; 06-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.