Boom 21 - Dunes

Old 07-06-2018, 11:45 AM

I'm checking in again. I have been so busy with the apartment and my grandson who is visiting for 2 weeks. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to take a breather and "hit the blocks". We have had some hot weather here but today is just beautiful. I have all my windows open. It smells so good!
Thank you so much TG for my special Santa block. I love it!!! All of the blocks so far have been wonderful.
A couple days ago, I started volunteering at the hospice thrift store on Tuesday afternoons. I found a 3 1/2 yd. piece of Christmas fabric for $2.00. Actually it was $4.00 but I got it for half price. What a find! And, one of the other volunteers is also a quilter. She told me if I needed any more of that fabric to let her know. She has plenty. It's so nice to meet other quilters.
I like making dresden blocks too but haven't made any in the boom swaps. I did make one 3 years ago for a mini quilt swap. This is my favorite.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]597312[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails june-15-beverly-muse-sew.jpg  
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 AM

Love Mona's block, Joanelizbay.
Originally Posted by joanelizbay View Post
Last one for Dunes is done. Will start on waves maybe this weekend...Suppose to be cooler this weekend, I sure hope so ...this 105 heat index is brutal. This is for Mona. I counted my finished blocks to make sure I didnt miss one and they are sealed and put up in Janices' box she sent them in so I dont lose any!! Happy Fourth of July!
Shhhh, Terriamn, I never tell the behind the scenes secrets!
Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
I have miss cut fabric wrong twice on the booms and have had to request more fabric. Dumbest thing was when I had two of one boomers’s fabric and sent to Janice but there was only one block. Thought I made the second one but guess only in my mind. Made the second block and until now no one but Janice new ofmy blunder
TG, the santa for Klaws, doesn't that sound funny? Santa for Klaws. lol It's adorable. Also loving your block for Mona G as well.
Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Got my three blocks uploaded
First is for Klaws. I had seen this pattern before receiving note to her colors. I asked she would want it anyway and I got a resounding Yes - hope you like it
Next is for Have4Boys - since the quilt is for Natalie I personalized it (with permission)
Last but not least I made for MonaG - "black and white with a pop of color" pattern is called chisom trail.
This is also what I do now since my goof a few rounds back with being short. I cannot live without my graph paper. It's already come in handy this round with a block I'm working on now. Not enough fabric if I cut it one way but change the placement of the cuts, voila! Plenty.
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
If I am concerned I might not have enough fabric I draw out a rectangle on graph paper 1 box per inch and then draw out the pieces to size (1 block per inch or 1 block per 1/2 inch) depending on how worried I am I won't have enough. (I cut it close often)
Very pretty block, Libster. GramE's quilt will be beautiful.
Originally Posted by Libster View Post
GramE, your block is next up. It's a Square in a Star. Hope your friend likes the block I've made for her.
I took Mom to get her haircut this morning and had mine done as well. I'm trying to decide if I like it. It's shorter than I wanted but the color is terrific. Doesn't seem like I'm ever 100 percent satisfied with my hair. Oh, well, it grows out quickly.

Am catching up on your blocks for the gallery right after this post. Have a lovely rest of your day, Dunes.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:59 AM

Libster beautiful feminine star for GramE.

Klaws what an amazing dressie!!!

Jayne, TAHITI, I am so very jealous!!!!! I hope you have a great time, and share some pics.

I got Billi's fabric twice. This is the fabric I specifically asked for. I have to admit what I had envisioned at first when seeing the pic of the fabric was that swirly dresden I make w/ the off center center. However after I got the fabric in person I kept seeing insect wings. I waited to decide what to do, but every time I saw the fabric it kept telling me it wanted to fly. Thanks for including that little extra piece, w/o it I couldn't have made matching big wings. So here it is Billi's devil's darning needle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]597314[/ATTACH]

Oh and the wow fabric in the background looks like rain drop rings.
Attached Thumbnails img_0520.jpg  
Old 07-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Now that's making the most of that fabric imho! Beautiful, Kass!

Kass, you're the only other person I've ever heard call it a "darning needle" other than my grandmother.

I got Billi's fabric twice. This is the fabric I specifically asked for. I have to admit what I had envisioned at first when seeing the pic of the fabric was that swirly dresden I make w/ the off center center. However after I got the fabric in person I kept seeing insect wings. I waited to decide what to do, but every time I saw the fabric it kept telling me it wanted to fly. Thanks for including that little extra piece, w/o it I couldn't have made matching big wings. So here it is Billi's devil's darning needle.

Last edited by Janice McC; 07-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Amazing!

my youngest son just left to spend 10 days with my eldest in New York, then they are both headed back here for a good long visit. My sewing room doubles as the guest room so I may not have much opportunity to sew while they are here. I might try to do one more block before they come, im waiting for inspiration to strike.

Hum-de-dum...
Old 07-06-2018, 12:47 PM

Kass that block is incredible!! I had to go to the fabric pictures to see what your fabric looked like before you created magic with it. Billi has such beautiful fabrics selected for this Boom.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Kass: That block is eye catching!! I think it’s amazing also. Your talent is beyond amazing!
Klaws: your dresden is beautiful. I definitely need to learn how to make those.

Janice: yes, “santa for Klaws” is funny. Love it.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:18 PM

Reading about your coffee made me laugh!

I adore Alexander Henry fabric and I was going to guess that the themed fabric was that since that line is known for big bold prints.

I plan to go to Sisters too this year. Maybe we can meet up.

Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
Darcy - LOL I was visualizing how the bubble suit was sweaty and started to slide, and there went my coffee
Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

Kass, it reminds me of the dragon flies I am seeing in my garden. So pretty. I like garden bugs, well, the good kind.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:23 PM

I just love looking at all these blocks and am even thinking about fiddling with Dresden plates which never crossed my mind before.

Pam, we will get there. I just know it.