Boom 21 - Waves

Old 07-26-2018, 03:00 PM

Two for Quiltermomma

[ATTACH=CONFIG]598423[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]598424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 71c81037-c5ca-47e8-8ce7-85dc7a17de48.jpeg   18800ef4-751e-4ecd-b4cd-b35b1af368eb.jpeg  
Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM

Id like to know what all of you think. I was looking at my stash today and there are fabrics in there that I will NEVER use...do you all tend to keep it anyway or "donate it" or just what? Some Ive had for a few years, stripes, florals checks etc and I just cant decide what to do with it...Some of it Ill never get rid of just because I love it, esp the civil war, military fabrics but just cant decide on the "never use" fabric...what do you all do??
Old 07-26-2018, 04:33 PM

Joan, I proudly admit I too am a Fabric Hoarder! Eventually I will find some place to use it. The fabric that I've had for a long while is such better quality than what we can get now. All you have to do is feel it to know what's older and what's new. No way can I part with that! A lot of my fabrics came from my brother, who owned a quilting business, and my sister. Both of them are gone now, so, nope, I'm keeping it.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

Libster, how interesting that your brother owned a quilting business! A quilt store? Fabric and machines? I'd work for a brother like that just for fabric! I'm sorry your brother and sister are gone.

Joan, I go through and "purge" every once in a while. I have given a lot to a lady in our quilting group who was trying to build a stash... a new quilter. If the fabric is 1 yard or more, and suitable for little girls' dresses, I put it aside for making donation dresses. You can also group it by colors and use it in scrappy quilting. Cutting it smaller and grouping it with lots of other fabrics, you might like it better.

Pet shelters are always looking for pet mats. You could make those out of unwanted fabric. Right now what I'm doing with some is making big practice sandwiches, to learn FMQ. Once I get them all covered with practice stitching, one of our local quilt shops wants them to bind and take to a pet shelter. Much better than throwing them out!

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 07-26-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:10 PM

I'd like to thank you ladies for the condolences offered for the passing of my mother. I'm starting to feel a bit more like myself, I've even played around a little with my new to me vintage machines. This week is also Maine Quilts state guild show so that help gets the quilty mood going.
Question for everyone if that's OK, if you could only buy one ruler what size would you get? There is a fancy non skid ruler at one of the vendors I really like. I'm thinking 6.5 X 24 would be nice for cutting yardage. but I'm not sure.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:12 PM

I gave several pieces and scraps away about a year ago...One lady makes charity quilts and the other was making animal blankets...I knew Id never use what I gave away...Maybe this winter Ill decide to do that again...I was just curious to what others do...It must have been nice to have family in the fabric business...Id work for them too!
Coull...I started with a 4 x 16 lip edge ruler..quickly learned that didnt work too well for smaller blocks. I couldnt pick just one now...I have from a 2 1/2 all the way up to a 12 1/2 and I use all of them...mostly the smaller ones for blocks but if Im cutting strips I use my 6 1/2 x 24 for the longer pieces... Good luck!

Last edited by joanelizbay; 07-26-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:27 PM

I use my 6.5” by 24” for cutting strips out yardage, the 2 I use the most are the 6.5” square and the 12.5” square.

Libster how wonderful your brother owned a quilting business and condolences on the passing of your brother and sister.

Joan my sister sews for charity and I give her all my fabric I know I won’t use. A lot isn’t yardage but she is thrilled
with my scraps and what ever extra is in my stash.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Coullmills, I use my 12.5" square ruler probably the most, because of the 12.5" blocks I make for myself and for swaps like the Boom. I use my 6 x 24" ruler to square up my quilts. So those two the most.

Can't wait to see your blocks!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:31 AM

I would be absolutely lost without my 6 1/2" X 24" for strip cutting, my 9 1/2" square and my 12 1/2" square for any and everything else. Main thing to remember is to make sure all of your rulers are the same brand name. They do not all measure the same!

My brother owned and operated a quilt and framing business. He had a 16 foot Gammill long arm in his shop that he made me learn to use. His specialty was making tee shirt quilts and framing needlework. He also made me learn a computer. I like to think he was ahead of his time since he had a thriving on-line side of his business going for quilt kits. He died at age 55 in 2002. I just wish I had had room for his Gammill, but I didn't. However, I did rescue lots of fabric. I miss him so much.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:10 AM

Default Boom Biz - shipping

I know several of you have completed your Boom blocks. Please continue to hold onto them until we get closer to the deadline. I’m currently out of town and have plans for a vacation so I’ll open a shipping “window” when I’m guaranteed to be home for a couple of weeks straight. And for newbies, please never ship without checking with me first. The last thing I want is for your precious blocks to sit in the post office for a couple of weeks. Thanks!