Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Swap 16 - Sign-Ups Open >

Boomerang Swap 16 - Sign-Ups Open

Boomerang Swap 16 - Sign-Ups Open

Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
GrammE you can use as many fabrics as you choose My first boom I sent everybody a different 30's print and some one sent everybody a different floral that same boom so go for it send out as many as you please.
Thank you. Haven't quite got the hang of all this but am totally enjoying looking at everyone's beautiful handicraft! A bit intimidating, I hope I can come through with a quality block for everyone else.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:55 AM

I'll go with whatever the group decides to do with the two month group. If we double up, I'll have to send some coordinating pieces for the second block since I'm using the same fabric for both groups. I've cut 4 1/2 yards of my main fabric. After cutting, I have 28 F8s from that yardage. Maybe I'll just send the background fabric to coordinate with my main piece for doubling up.
GramE, don't stress over perfection and complicated blocks. We all want a well-made block, but it doesn't have to be complicated. For me, the main thing I want is for each block to be 12 1/2" square, so that all of them get included when I put them together. Just relax and have fun with it.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:07 AM

Off topic- how's everyone making it through this storm? We had a doozy of a storm go through here yesterday. My satellite dish is laying flat on the ground, so no TV here. I mainly use the TV for noise since I live alone. Hard to sleep with dead silence except for that howling wind. I have limbs down all over the yard. Some of the roads are closed with trees down across them. It's heading north, so beware. One person killed by falling trees where my sister-in-law lives in SC. Lots of people with no power. Mine keeps blinking off and on. I know there's a tree on it somewhere. Be safe y'all. I hate tornadoes.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:16 AM

I will be watching everyone's block this time to see if I can join next time. I do have a few questions. The blocks I make look very different from the one's I've viewed. I do a lot of raw edge applique using steam a seam. Would this be ok in a boom? The applique I've done for bed quilts has held up very well. I also usually do embellishments on the quilts. Is this something that should be avoided? The pieced blocks I do make are usually pretty modern, wonky log cabin blocks etc. I am too weird for a boom?
Attached Thumbnails img_0045.jpg  
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 AM

OOPS I tried to eliminate that picture but didn't succeed.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 AM

First of all JaniceMcC, please forgive me if I am being a nag about the swap.

Secondly, I am counting on getting at least 30 blocks to choose from for a nice sized quilt and the extras will be for a lap quilt so if we need to double in the 2 month group, can do. I have enough yardage.

Thirdly, thanks for the clarification on the marking. I will put my label on outside of each baggie with my board name and what fabric so that way it is clearly marked. Then if the baggie does get separated, you can match it up.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:22 AM

Good afternoon, mjpEncinitas. I'm smiling to myself because of your question about whether or not you are too weird for a Boom. Too weird for a Boom, never! It's true that sometimes we Boomers stay on the more traditional side however recent Booms have seen some stepping outside of the box so I would think you might enhance that. I'm sure some wonky log cabin blocks and more modern blocks would be fine. I'd let the fabrics that are sent to you help determine what kind of block to make. And if you aren't aware of this, and I may not have stressed it, while the owner of the fabric will often make color suggestions, it is the one who makes the blocks who gets to determine what block pattern to make. You may certainly ask for direction from your fellow members, but ultimately you should make a block you want to make.

Now as regards the steam a seam, unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the product so I might want to check with members as to their experience with it. Some might be ok with it, others not so much. And embellishments, that is definitely something I'd run by the block owner. I suppose it will depend upon the person as to whether it would work for them and their vision for their quilt blocks.

So, mjpE, I'd say you should definitely consider joining, if not now, in the future. I haven't heard a word that would prevent you from fitting in just fine and making blocks that would be fun additions to the Boom. Does this info help you?

And Boomers, does anyone have any experience with the steam a seam product? If so, how has it held up? mjpEncinitas' experience has been positive. What say the rest of you?

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
I will be watching everyone's block this time to see if I can join next time. I do have a few questions. The blocks I make look very different from the one's I've viewed. I do a lot of raw edge applique using steam a seam. Would this be ok in a boom? The applique I've done for bed quilts has held up very well. I also usually do embellishments on the quilts. Is this something that should be avoided? The pieced blocks I do make are usually pretty modern, wonky log cabin blocks etc. I am too weird for a boom?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 AM

Asking questions is not nagging. Believe me, if you have the question, so does somebody else. It's all part and parcel of learning about a new group so please don't consider it nagging. I don't.

The photos on the fabric page of the gallery will definitely help should a Boomer find that they've mixed up fabrics. Not that I'd know a thing about that. Nope, not me. I'm perfect. Never did it. (ugh, cough, cough...gag)
Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
First of all JaniceMcC, please forgive me if I am being a nag about the swap.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:32 AM

Whoa, Libster, did we ever have some wind. (Am NE of Atlanta.) We had lots of rain but it was the wind gusts that were creepy. I swear my house almost seemed to sway during the strongest gusts. No loss of power or anything like that. Just lots of noise. Glad you made it through safely overall.
Originally Posted by Libster View Post
Off topic- how's everyone making it through this storm? We had a doozy of a storm go through here yesterday. My satellite dish is laying flat on the ground, so no TV here. I mainly use the TV for noise since I live alone. Hard to sleep with dead silence except for that howling wind. I have limbs down all over the yard. Some of the roads are closed with trees down across them. It's heading north, so beware. One person killed by falling trees where my sister-in-law lives in SC. Lots of people with no power. Mine keeps blinking off and on. I know there's a tree on it somewhere. Be safe y'all. I hate tornadoes.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:41 AM

I have no experience w/ steam a seam. I would be leary of raw edge applique personally for a quilt.

The ladies have accepted my weird out of the box thinking.

No storms here, but last week really bad wild fires.