Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas ornament swap 2013

pm'd you cant wait.Great swap!!!

Blog Entries
    Here are a few pics of some of the other ornaments from class yesterday, the 1st pic is actually more of sit down decorations :
    Name:  130921_001.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  99.9 KBName:  130921_002.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  189.2 KBName:  130921_004.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  98.2 KB
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Brenda

I tried to PM you with my info, but QB is not liking me right now.

Want in on 2 ornaments, I will send you my address soon as I can
    when pm's will work for me. Or if they don't work by tomorrow I
    will email you providing your email has not changed since last year.

I have already made one ornament today while I was sitting at the
    Exotic Bird Show.

Will post a picture of it soon as I can get the "final" touches added to
    it.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Kiffie, those are just too cute! Which ones are you making this year? Love the tree! I can see that setting next to the larger one in my studio!

Blog Entries
    kiffie, great ornis you have there. a great collection started so far.
    love the tress too

Newbie here, am I understanding correctly that we just have to make 1 or 2 ornaments for this swap? How did you get the photos of so many? Sorry if I am not getting the facts straight, I have a headache and I do not usually get them.
    Laurel
    oneteapot/Laurel

Welcome - yes you understand correctly - make one or two ornaments...Thing is, usually folks make more than that just for fun. Some do just make one, but most do more.. You only have ONE partner, so it's up to you if you wish to send more than the one or two. Hope that 'splains it all..lol

Jean

Quote Originally Posted by oneteappot View Post
    Newbie here, am I understanding correctly that we just have to make 1 or 2 ornaments for this swap? How did you get the photos of so many? Sorry if I am not getting the facts straight, I have a headache and I do not usually get them.
    Laurel

Kiffie they are soooo cute!!! the yo yo with baby Jesus is very sweet! Looks like it was a fun workshop!
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneteappot View Post
    Laurel
    So sorry...didn't mean to confuse anyone...I am just posting pics of the ornaments that were made at my lqs this past Saturday..and the prior pic was ornaments from last year. Every year we do a Christmas ornament class..I had told Brenda I would share pics, just to give others ideas...I can't take credit for making all of those ornaments, either...lol...We each make a few, and share ideas. If there are extras they go on the little Christmas tree that the owner keeps up year round to display the ornaments "advertising" for next year's class.

Cindy,
    I don't know which ones I will make for sure yet. I have a couple made, but they aren't in any of the pics I posted. I have a hard time sticking to just 2..I want to surprise my partner, too...
    I sure wish I had the problem of sticking to just 2 when it comes to all the ufos I have around here...sigh...
    Thanks to you all for all the great feedback!
    Kif
    Last edited by kiffie2413; 09-23-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brenda21 View Post
    Kiffie they are soooo cute!!! the yo yo with baby Jesus is very sweet! Looks like it was a fun workshop!
    Thanks, Brenda..I can't take credit for that one...My good friend Sandee (and ornament class leader) loves yo yos!! She decided to make an angel with hers this year...and put the glitter around the head to be the halo.
    K

I am wanting to join, need to look at my time schedule to be able to get them out but the due date. I will know more later in the week.

I love Christmas and the ornaments. Will send the PM as soon as I see what is going on with mom's pending surgery.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    Let me see what I come up with and then I will join. I would like to have them made before joining. I love doing the ornament swap.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
    I am wanting to join, need to look at my time schedule to be able to get them out but the due date. I will know more later in the week.

I love Christmas and the ornaments. Will send the PM as soon as I see what is going on with mom's pending surgery.
    Will keep you and your mom in my prayers.
    Kif

Blog Entries
    Lynnie is such an arm breaker. Looking into this. Pretty busy schedule. Would love to participate. Will have to see what I can get done to have some fun.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

This will be my first ornament swap. I am so excited. Going to start looking through my stash of fabric and patterns tonight.

Was out and took some pictures of some really cute ornaments at Cracker Barrel. So I think I'm gonna try to make my own version. If they turn out half as cute I'll be happy and hopefully so will my swap partner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltermomma View Post
    Lynnie is such an arm breaker. Looking into this. Pretty busy schedule. Would love to participate. Will have to see what I can get done to have some fun.
    Darn that Lynnie!
    K

Thanks, I can use all the prayers I can get, to keep my sanity as she tries my patience each day. Surgery is scheduled for the beginning of November pending the pre op approval.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
    Thanks, I can use all the prayers I can get, to keep my sanity as she tries my patience each day. Surgery is scheduled for the beginning of November pending the pre op approval.
    My mom lives with dh and I, has since my dad passed in 2002. In 2004 she was diagnosed with lung cancer, had most of her right lung removed along with the tumor...then had 2 diff chemos. She sailed thru most of that, but ended up with an abscess in the scar area where lower 2 lobes of lung removed. Now is prone to pneumonia. Since 2003, She and I have had 4 diff hospital stays, 7-9 weeks each time. I say she and I as I stay 24/7 with her. Being in the medical field I know how things can be. I'm able to help her with everything but her IVs and meds. Nurses usually love us because I help her with her showers, change the beds (mine, too..lol), "make" her walk (when you don't feel great and hard to breathe, doing anything isn't too fun, but walking is best way to get that pneumonia out! I go into "therapy" mode for that, then go out in hallway for "daughter" mode to cry because I know she's having a rough time). People say, "Oh you're so sweet." I say, "Nope, I am just a gal, selfish in that I want to keep my mom around as long as I can. Also, when she's well she does the cooking!" We got a miracle, as she is coming up on 10 years cancer free!!
    If you ever need to talk, feel free to pm me.
    Regards, K

Quote Originally Posted by kiffie2413 View Post
    My mom lives with dh and I, has since my dad passed in 2002. In 2004 she was diagnosed with lung cancer, had most of her right lung removed along with the tumor...then had 2 diff chemos. She sailed thru most of that, but ended up with an abscess in the scar area where lower 2 lobes of lung removed. Now is prone to pneumonia. Since 2003, She and I have had 4 diff hospital stays, 7-9 weeks each time. I say she and I as I stay 24/7 with her. Being in the medical field I know how things can be. I'm able to help her with everything but her IVs and meds. Nurses usually love us because I help her with her showers, change the beds (mine, too..lol), "make" her walk (when you don't feel great and hard to breathe, doing anything isn't too fun, but walking is best way to get that pneumonia out! I go into "therapy" mode for that, then go out in hallway for "daughter" mode to cry because I know she's having a rough time). People say, "Oh you're so sweet." I say, "Nope, I am just a gal, selfish in that I want to keep my mom around as long as I can. Also, when she's well she does the cooking!" We got a miracle, as she is coming up on 10 years cancer free!!
    If you ever need to talk, feel free to pm me.
    Regards, K
    Kiffie....I know how your mom feels, 2 years ago on the 30th of this month I lost my right lung to lung cancer, I know how hard it is not wanting to do anything when you hurt or having a hard time breathing. I am fortunate that I did not have to go through any chemo or radiation as the type I had didn't respond to either one, only removal. I have now been cancer free 2 years, get checked every 6 months.

Mom will be having a cervical fusion, so I am sure she wont want to be doing much moving, the doctor already told her she would be up moving same day or next morning after surgery. She is also having injections in her low back to see if they can calm that area down until the neck area is healed.

Thank you for all your help and willingness to talk.

Cindy
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    Prayers go out to both of you. It's hard when it's family hugs hugs hugs to you too.

I have my ornaments all ready to go. So when address gets here I can send them on there way. Can you mail early or wait till November? I sign up for two. Thanks for hosting.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    Cindy, neck fusions are a breeze, it's the lower back ones that are the killer. I've had 9 neck/back surgeries, and have a dorsal nerve stimulator implanted, upper and lower. they take away some of the pain. good luck and prayers your way

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Owl for your kind words. Ready to mail, eh?? You go ma'am!!

Cindy, wow! What are the odds?? I will keep you in my prayers...and Mom says the same. Each 6 mos. you are cancer free will be a victory...and then each year...it won't be long before you will be coming up on your 5th, then 10th anniversarys cancer free, too! Mom is on oxygen full time..didn't need it after coming home after the initial surgery, but when the abcess/infection set in, had to have it, and keep it since then. At first she was depressed about needing it all the time. We had a terrific Respiratory Therapist who told her that we are all "addicted to oxygen" so to speak...and he is so right. Just wording it that way changed Mom's way of looking at it. It's just part of our day, now. When we go to town I have my purse on one shoulder, her oxygen bag on my other...and away we go.
    Let us know how surgery goes for your Mom, I know it's hard to want to get up and move about after surgery...but the anesthesia can do a number on the lungs, too (even for us non-smokers)..and the best way to clear it out and try and prevent pneumonia is walking. After my hysterectomy I was up the next day, and made sure I stood up straight, not hunched over "guarding my incision"...sure it hurt at 1st, but in the long run it was best.

Lynnnie,
    ACK! But whatever makes the pain better is good. I have Lupus and Interstitial Cystitis, don't have the neuro stimulator implanted, but it has been suggested..just don't know if it will work for my type of IC...I use the external stimulator for now.

Regards,
    K
    Last edited by kiffie2413; 09-26-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have also had neck surgeries. Two of them the first was on the front
    where they used a cadaver disc. Ther Dr. called it an ACDF (Anterior
    cervical discectomy and fusion). Titanium plate and 4 screws. Everything
    looked good for the first 6 months then the vertebrae stopped fusing.

My second surgery was more painful for me they went in through the
    back of my neck having to cut through the muscles. They placed 2 rods
    and 4 screws.

I just passed the 7 year (9/11) of the first surgery, and the 5 year mark
    for the second is coming up Jan. 5. I can not say that I am out of pain,
    but when our insurance changed I had to stop trying to find a pain management
    treatment that would work.

So I do the once thing I shouldn't be doing, but feel like there is no other choice
    for me. I tank up in Advil or Tylenol daily.

Enough of that from me.........

SO tell me what kind of ornaments are you planning to make?

I have 1 made already.

See!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  2013-09-24 14.25.37.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  106.2 KB

I was actually planning to use him in a different manner, but decided he
    would look better on a tree .
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

cute yo yo snowman Louise!
    Brenda

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast