Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: (Corrected) - Scrappy & White 9 Patch Blocks -- Signup Closes January 31st 2019

I'm now starting to quilt. I'm doing a quilt as you go by rows. I have one row done.

I can't wait to see your progress !

I received my package. Thanks, everyone!

Honchey I didn't have as much beige, creams and tans as I thought I did for maybe a future Christmas 9 patch. So I bought a fat quarter bundle of beiges, creams and tans. It should get it in about 2 weeks.

Hi Everyone, It's taken me this long since my last post to say what I have to say.

I don't know how many of you read all the instructions and and what not to do with regards to the size and conditions regarding the blocks. As much as I try to get my blocks to size I know they may be off a thread or two and they are Pressed, Sized and Neatened up with very little threads on the back of the blocks. None of mine are Throwaways.

I know I said I was lenient and not the quilt police and knowing many of you are not beginners with making blocks I was very disappointed with the condition of some blocks that were sent.. Hairy with so many threads, patches that were so wonky when I took apart a particular block because I wanted the center square I was able to salvage only 2 squares from the block and that was after trimming all the threads and pressing.

I will be posting photos, I need to resize them first. No names will be listed . that would be rude of me. It was hard enough for me to even do this..

There were many blocks that their center square was almost I/8" too big making the whole block too big therefore the block wasn't the correct size. way too big.

I'm mentioning all of this because we need to be better sewers. It's not fair for swappers to receive less than what they send. I hope you understand.

I will be hosting another swap in the near future and hope my post won't deter you from joining in.

Ok here goes some of the no no's
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honchey, it looks as if you need to retire that poor cutting board. It is getting some pretty deep grooves.

You notice where the deep groove is don't you??? I have several of these mats I keep this one on the ironing board to measure my pieced sections and blocks. not much for cutting.

Honchey I am hoping my blocks were not too terrible. Please PM me if there are any correections I need to Make. I did measure each block before I mailed them. Just checking. I don't want to get lazy after only 75 years.

Hi Trish, I'm not naming names.. None of us are perfect, there's always room for improvement. I just can't understand why a person would use a square less than 2.5" and expect it to stand up to sewing a seam to try to make it fit??????

By the way, I've been sewing for the past 70 years, My grandmother showed me how on her treadle.

I will be starting the Winter Scrappy 9 patch sometime in April. I cannot use "Christmas" in the title I guess for religious reasons so it has to be winter themed. It will be 5 scrappy and 4 neutrals. keeping the neutrals light to medium, no white. Any questions about the kind of the 5 scrappy squares PM me.. I know some of you are anxious to start ahead of the posting.

Honchey I am in for sure for the next 9 patch. I will get started now so that I will have perfect squares.

You are too funny ! ha ha

I made a Winter block. Could you tell me what works and doesn'tName:  0315192129.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  224.7 KB

You have the holly leaf repeated and the "neutral" square in the middle of the 3rd column is too dark next to the white/holly square.

The 3 light neutrals are fine. The white background prints I feel don't go with the neutrals.

I am interested in the 9 patch winter theme blocks but didn't see any announcement yet. Did I miss something about it or have you put out any notice yet?

I haven't decided on a firm date yet. .It will be posted hopefully by the 2nd week in 'April. I'm returning home the first week in April and have started my packing for the return.. It takes me awhile plus I have some charity quilts to finish up before I leave.

Those of you returning to do another swap please read the rules and regulations so that you know what is correct and the type of blocks etc.

I want to thank all of you that participated in this swap, My first.

Honchey

Hi Everyone, I've been very busy doing so much of everything except sewing.

I'll be posting the new thread for the Holiday/Winter 9 Patch on the 22nd of April the day after Easter. Sorry it's taken so long for me to decide on a firm date. Life tends to get in the way sometimes. Just remember no white patches, keeping any beige or tans on the very light side. Cream is good also.

Honchey

You never know what you are going to get in a swap. I've been very disappointed too, so much that I really don't swap much anymore.

May I hone in to say... you should not be measuring your squares by laying them on a mat or a ruler... very inaccurate. They are only going to be accurately measured if you place a ruler on top of them, as you would when trimming. If you are swapping 6.5" squares, then you should own a 6.5" square ruler, so you can check and trim with it. If you are in a 12.5" block swap, you need to own a 12.5" square ruler. Always put the ruler on top to measure.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    sewbizgirl, Thanks for the good advice. I appreciate it.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6