February 2024 I Spy swap

Old 01-08-2024, 02:37 PM

Default February 2024 I Spy swap

February 2024 I Spy Charm Square Swap

When you decide to join us on this fun little game, PM me (bkay) and tell me you want to join and how many bags you intend to swap. I need your real name and address. I will respond to you with my mailing address for you to mail your swaps to me.

Swaps need to be in my hands by February 23, 2024, so mail early enough to allow shipping time,

Choosing your Charms/cutting Info: Send what you would like to receive, quality-wise. Send only 100% cotton quilting fabric. Please do not send thin or loosely woven fabrics. If it has to be starched to be acceptable, it's probably not a good fabric for this swap. Remember that children's quilts get frequent washing.

Please select prints that would be acceptable in a child's quilt. No flowers, lines, stars, geometrics or batiks. Please limit licensed prints and/or holiday prints to 1 per baggie. Make sure your objects are recognizable. If I find unusable fabrics in your baggies, I will return all to you unswapped. Each charm should have at least one total "picture" in it; that means 1/2 of a dinosaur on your square is not acceptable. Please cut so the child will see a whole dinosaur.

Please cut carefully so that each square is exactly 5". This is very important.

All fabrics need to be pre-washed.

Packaging/ numbers Info: We will be sending 10 different fabrics in each bag we swap. All your bags can have the same mixture in them, or different, but you cannot repeat fabrics in any one bag. We will be swapping bag for bag, so there must be 10 different fabrics in each bag. Please put your board name on every bag you are swapping. For instance, "bkay" for mine.

You may swap in groups of 8 baggies. You may swap as many sets of 8 bags as you choose, but each set must use a different set of 10 fabrics. You will get 8 - 5" squares in one width of fabric, providing your print does not require fussy cutting. If it does, you may get fewer cuts out of your yardage. Please fussy cut if your print requires it. Send the kind of nice squares you hope to receive.. Depending on participation, you may receive duplicate bags. I try to do my best to eliminate them, but it may happen. It appears, at this time, that we will have enough swappers that duplicates won't be necessary.

Put all your swap baggies (sandwich size) in one big ziplock with your name and mailing address. That will keep them together in your package. If it happens to get torn open in shipment, your address will be there for the P.O. to return to you. If you choose to use a method other than Priority mail, please use a Tyvek or similar indestructible outer envelope. Label each baggie with your board name. If you are swapping more than one set, please label them set 1, set 2, etc.

Postage/ Mailing: QB rules require that all packages must be sent by a trackable method. Previously, We've used priority Mail, usually using the Padded Flat Rate envelopes. The advantage is insurance, tracking, the envelope and 3 day delivery is included in the price.. Not many PO's carry the padded envelopes in stock. However, they are free to order online at.USPS.com.Order now to receive them in time for shipping. It now costs $10.40 postage for the padded flat rate Priority Mail envelope, plus the same for the return envelope.

Now, all packages shipped by USPS are trackable. If you want to use an alternative USPS shipping method, you may do so. (It may be less expensive, I don't know.) You will have to supply your own mailing envelope (preferably a sturdy one). The SASE envelope you include for your return package should be the same size, type and have the same amount of postage as the one you send to me. Also, know that it may take longer than 3 days to arrive, so please ship early to compensate.

Remember to send in what you would like to receive back.

Let’s have tons of fun, and of course you have to follow all the basic QB swap rules, found here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-20154-1.htm

Edited and reposted.

Questions? feel free to ask.

Last edited by bkay; 01-08-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:24 AM

I'm a bit confused about the "sets of 8" issue.

I think I'm clear that each bag of 10 must have 10 different fabrics, and that the bags I send can be made of the same set of 10 fabrics, or they can have different fabrics as long as any one bag does not have any duplicates in it.

So where does the "8" come in? Does that mean if I want to do two sets of 8, I'd need about 20 fabrics? Or can I send 16 identical bags?

Here is a picture of what I've pulled from my stash.

Attached Thumbnails 20240109_113032.jpg  
Old 01-09-2024, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'm a bit confused about the "sets of 8" issue.

I think I'm clear that each bag of 10 must have 10 different fabrics, and that the bags I send can be made of the same set of 10 fabrics, or they can have different fabrics as long as any one bag does not have any duplicates in it.

So where does the "8" come in? Does that mean if I want to do two sets of 8, I'd need about 20 fabrics? Or can I send 16 identical bags?

Here is a picture of what I've pulled from my stash.
It looks like a nice selection.

Thanks for asking, Cathy. I guess others won't be clear about it either.

Sorry I was not clear. You have to submit a "set" of eight bags with 10 charms in each. The charms in each bag can match the other bags in that set or not. However, if you want to swap 2 sets of 8 bags (or more), each set has to be unique. You cannot repeat fabrics from set #1 in set #2.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

bkay
Old 01-09-2024, 04:26 PM

Thanks, that clears it up for me.

I've been cutting away - and it turns out that about 2/3rds of my fabric has to be fussy cut.

Looks like I'll end up with enough for three sets. This is a situation where getting back duplicates isn't that big of a problem as with what I'm cutting to keep with for myself, I should end up with enough for 4 or 5 child size quilts. So as long as I don't get back more than 4 of any one set it would be fine.

When I get done cutting and know exactly what I've ended up with, I'll send a PM with my info. I also need to see how much I can stuff in a padded envelope. Many years ago I ordered 12 from the PO for block swaps, and they messed up and sent me two orders. I still have 9 left so I'll be good to go for a while.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:37 PM

I'll experiment and find out how many sets you can get in a padded envelope. I'll let you know.

bkay
Old 01-11-2024, 09:04 AM

I've got mine cut - wasn't counting and had pulled 33 fabrics, so my bags will all have 11 in them. Most of what I pulled ended up needing to be fussy cut. I kept thinking I didn't want the waste, but then I'd look at the fabric and think if I didn't cut it up for this, I might never use it. The fabric deserved its chance to be in a quilt! And I do love making scrappy quilts and had used up most of my scraps last summer. So it was all good.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:39 AM

I experimented yesterday. You can get 4 sets of charms plus a return bag in the padded flat rate envelope. I did not try to get all of the bags in a "master" ziplock (can't think of another word for it), though. I just put them in the mailer and tried not to wrinkle them up too much.

I didn't seal the individual sandwich bags completely. I left a small opening in each. When I got them in the mailer, I "squished" them down to remove excess air. Then, I added the return bag. My goal was to get 4 sets in the bag. I didn't try for 5.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 01-12-2024 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 06:46 AM

I've cut a very small corner off my bags so the extra air can squish out.

Mine are all ready to go, time for me to send a PM with my info

Old 01-14-2024, 02:12 PM

A couple of sites I've used for I Spy fabric are 4my3boyz.com. She offers fat quarters on most of her fabrics. She gives you a description of how large the print is, so it's easy to tell if it will work in the size square you are cutting. She usually has lots of fabrics that are usable for an I Spy swap. Each section (animal, food, sports, etc.) has some sale fabrics as well as the $1.00 fat quarter sale on the main page.

I've also used marshalldrygoods.com. They have lots of good fabrics (Name brand, as well as their own creations), but have a minimum purchase if 1 yard of each fabric. I was able to use it when I was active in the I Spy swap group that swapped monthly. (They've transitioned to a Facebook group - I don't do Facebook.)

bkay
Old 01-14-2024, 02:56 PM

I'm checking out what fabric I have. I reckon I'll have to post by end January at the latest.and just a final check. 8 bags with 10 x 5" differnt charms equels 80 charms all up but each bag can be the same if i want.