Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Friendship Block Swap-NOW OPEN UNDER BOOMERANG >

Friendship Block Swap-NOW OPEN UNDER BOOMERANG

Friendship Block Swap-NOW OPEN UNDER BOOMERANG

Old 12-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Oh, April, you have brought us an interesting little swap here! I'd be surprised if you "only" get 36 people! I'm thinking this will be a fairly popular swap, so you may want to consider groups of ____ participants, IMHO. Of course, that will depend on how many signups you get. (And, yes, I want in, too!)
Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 AM

Question...

For the F4s, is it okay to use something in my stash, rather than going out and buying the fabric for this?

I'd like to participate, but am still on the fence because I saw the other challenge about using up your scraps, and decided to use what is in my stash. Well, there are several coordinated F4s... You see the direction?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Question...

For the F4s, is it okay to use something in my stash, rather than going out and buying the fabric for this?

I'd like to participate, but am still on the fence because I saw the other challenge about using up your scraps, and decided to use what is in my stash. Well, there are several coordinated F4s... You see the direction?
Yes you can use any fabric you'd like.
I have to tell you gals my story. My hubby had brought me my first sewing machine in 03, ( I think) I had never sewen before in my life, I didn't even know how to thread the machine, will Miss April deside to join us up in an on-line quilting group and on top of that she signed us up for our very first FBS- well there was 54 gals in this swap, I had no fabric, not even a ruler, ( Didn't even know how to use one)) well I learned fast, I purchased fabric as needed for blocks, my rulers and yes I completed the swap, I have to say if you could have seen some of my very first blocks you'd have LYAO!!!!!!!! They were bad. But I completed my swap, and was very proud of myself. I have come a long way, but we all start somewhere and we all have to remember this.
The great thing about these swaps is there's always a surprise in the mail for you, and you end up with a stunning quilt made with love from all your dear friends!!!!!
This is my very first friendship quilt.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60312.jpe  
Old 12-24-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Question...

Of course you can use from your stash-no need to buy anything new. They are blocks for you so whatever makes you happy and whatever works for a project you have planned. There is no need to buy anything new at all. All that is asked is that fabric be prewashed.

Thanks for posting the picture mom-love that quilt!!
I hope to see lots of gals. It really is fun to get blocks from our friends made with love and care!
Hugs
April
Old 12-25-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm hosting a one-block a month swap. You could join and send your monthly partner a fat quarter.(See "Quilting Bee.")

36 blocks all at once does sound a bit intimidating, but I'm going to (try) and join, nonetheless!!
Old 12-25-2009, 03:26 PM

I wonder instead of doing 36 people, which is 9 yards of fabric if I did my math right..., if there should be groups of 12? 12 blocks would be enough to make a quilt... then there could be multiple "rounds" and people may not be so overwhelmed.

Im just brainstorming.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:06 PM

I would be interested in being in a 12-person group if you decide to set things up that way. Thanks, April, for what sounds like a fun swap.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 PM

buddy'smom, your quilt is awesome and I love the story that goes with it! 72 by 72 would be a very nice quilt. I think I will start washing fabric and cutting F4s that way I will be ready when I get my list. I can make 36 blocks it will be so neat to see all the different F4s. My friend works in a LQS and she swears she can tell how nice someone is by the fabric they buy! I am off to mark my calender for Jan. 1 so I won't forget. This is going to be fun :!: :D
Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 AM

Just a thought but how about instead of sending a fat quarter to each person maybe everyone could send half of a fat quarter?
A F4 is 18 x 22. Even a piece 18 x 11 would be enough for one 12.5 inch block and would save everyone half the cost of the fabric.

What does everyone else think?

:-D
Old 12-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
Just a thought but how about instead of sending a fat quarter to each person maybe everyone could send half of a fat quarter?
A F4 is 18 x 22. Even a piece 18 x 11 would be enough for one 12.5 inch block and would save everyone half the cost of the fabric.

What does everyone else think?

:-D
You only send an F8, the other fabric is added to your's from the other gal's stash. This is what makes it so exciting.