Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012 >

International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012

International Fabric Swap - Sign-up will close on January 5, 2012

Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Hi,

I mailed mine today! All 35 of them!!! I used one of the Tyvek envelopes. The postal clerk told me to be sure to tell the person who is mailing them back to take them in to the post office and not just drop them off because they were over whatever the wt limit was and they would just come back to her. I had to laugh. I told him, "I'm sure she knows. This isn't her 1st rodeo!"

I'm super excited about this swap. I can't wait to see what I get in return. I like the idea of a "Trip Around the World" quilt but I agree, I might not be able to cut some up!

I put a little piece of printable fabric with my name and place inside each FQ.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by oldcatlady View Post
Hi,

I mailed mine today! All 35 of them!!! I used one of the Tyvek envelopes. The postal clerk told me to be sure to tell the person who is mailing them back to take them in to the post office and not just drop them off because they were over whatever the wt limit was and they would just come back to her. I had to laugh. I told him, "I'm sure she knows. This isn't her 1st rodeo!"

I'm super excited about this swap. I can't wait to see what I get in return. I like the idea of a "Trip Around the World" quilt but I agree, I might not be able to cut some up!

I put a little piece of printable fabric with my name and place inside each FQ.
That's funny, because I went through the same thing with my postal lady.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 PM

OK, here is an update for today. My mailman brought a tub of packages yesterday and more packages today. He said this is a lot. I told him to just wait. This is a BIG swap. He said that we need to put a mail shute from the mailbox to the front door; put a doggie door in the front door and just send them in! We had a good laugh over that. I told him that I would have to take them to the post office to send them back out. He was glad about that.

I received the following packages:
TammyB
Walk-N-Roll
Krista
Barley
Cmilton
Ulrike moser – 2 packages (can you give me your board name??????)
Hobbykat 1955
Lady Elisabeth Quilts (can you give me your board name??????)
Heyuitsme
Crafty3790

You are SOOOOOOO right about not wanting to cut these babies up. I have thought about how I want to use them. One way is to decide how big I want my squares for my project, cutting the piece that size (8x8, 6x6, 12x12, etc) out of the FQ and putting the signature scraps in the center. That way, it will preserve the look of the fabric and will show who the fabrics are and where they are from. If I piece it, I will have to put other fabrics with it and I don’t want anything to take away from these fabrics. I am still thinking about what I want to do with them.

There are a lot that have not put their board names or signature scraps on the FQ’s. I will try to put a slip of paper in with the FQ’s to let you know where they came from. For me, I will write down the names and where they are from on a scrap of fabric so I will have it. I have already enlisted my daughter to help me. (my sister too) My Mother said she will help if she is up to it. She can write the info down.

So far, I am not swimming in them, but I have a feeling it won’t be long now!!!!

Hang in there!!!!! You are going to be glad that you did!!!!

Blessings!
Carole
Old 01-06-2012, 08:44 PM

Red face Yes

I know what you mean. I can hardly imagine. I think I may have to pet mine an keep them safe for awhile before I have to violate them! lol
Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 PM

lol, I am determined to cut mine. The FQs I sent in are from frabrics I've had for 3, 8 and 10 years(right after high school)...and I wasn't much of a sewer then, I just had to have the fabric! I LOVE culture, so am super excited about what I get back...really hoping for some european and asian stuff...and african and australian and ...oh, everywhere! I forget who it was, but someone posted some pics of some fabric with the red double deckers from londond...soo fun.
then again...I'll probably have to pet them and agonize over cutting them up and save every little snippet of them. hahahaha
Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 PM

I have my fat quarters ready to put in the mail, but I don't know where to send them. I will keep checking this weekend so I can get them out on Monday. I am sorry that I did not already get this information but I had a dear friend die on Wednesday and it has kept me off track for a while since he has been under Hospice care for the last three weeks. I understand that there may not be enough foreign FQ that I will get all foreign back. I feel certain that they will be nice so it does not matter. Thank you for all of the work that you are doing on this project.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:19 PM

I can't wait to see what I get back, but until I do, I don't know what I'll end up doing with them. I do think it would be nice to use them all together somehow though. I'm sooo excited!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:38 AM

I think we should make a couple of mug rugs with mugs for the mailmans hard work . I had decided to do that for my mail lady. What do you think?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:50 AM

How nice and what a great idea. What can I do to help?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 AM

I hope I get some fabric from England, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Germany, South Dakota, Colorado, and some Japanese fabric. All of the above except Japanese fabric are where my ancestors are from. My birhday is on St. Patricks Day, so definitely Ireland. LOL.