Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!! >

International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

International and USA/Canada Round Robin II GROUP INFO is OUT!!

Old 07-13-2009, 04:44 AM

This sounds like fun! I'm going to look at some pics to get a better idea before I commit, though. I need some inspiration for both the center, and for the rounds I would add.

Robin
Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 AM

I'm thinking of a mariners compass centre, aiming for a nautical themed quilt maybe... What do you reckon?

As for the borders, for the last round robin I found some more challenging than others. Its best not to think too hard until it gets to you, sometimes the colours are different in photographs or the person just before you has done something that wouldn't work too well with the quilt, particularly if you were thinking of something fairly involved and the person before you has done something similar. Its easy for the quilt to become too busy. Its best to let it arrive and speak to you then. And if its keeping quiet and won't help you can always email the owner and see if they'd had any thoughts.

I was a newbie in the last round robin, and occasionally felt intimidated by some of the intricate applique going past, but I think the less intricate parts that I added contributed to the quilt as a whole anyway. I found I got all the support and encouragement I needed too. Anyone whos sitting on the fence, go on, take the plunge... you know you want to!
Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 AM

OK, I'm thinking really hard about joining. Could you give me a link to other round robins that have pictures? I'm confused about "borders"? Do we make blocks?? Sew a plain border around?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
OK, I'm thinking really hard about joining. Could you give me a link to other round robins that have pictures? I'm confused about "borders"? Do we make blocks?? Sew a plain border around?
You make the first block sewjoyce, then pass it to the next person on your list you then receive a block for the person who follows you and you put a 3" border (finished size) on. If you would like to have a look at the last IRR we did check out in the search button IRR Round 5, think there are a lot of quilts on there. But please do not be intimidated sometimes all that is needed is a plain border, which incidently can be made up of 2 or 3 colours i.e., a 1" and 2" and a 3". Each time you receive the quilt you will need to add a different size border. Check out the whole of this thread and this will then make a bit more sense to you.

Hope that helps. Elle
Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by SazuBMidlands
I'm thinking of a mariners compass centre, aiming for a nautical themed quilt maybe... What do you reckon?

As for the borders, for the last round robin I found some more challenging than others. Its best not to think too hard until it gets to you, sometimes the colours are different in photographs or the person just before you has done something that wouldn't work too well with the quilt, particularly if you were thinking of something fairly involved and the person before you has done something similar. Its easy for the quilt to become too busy. Its best to let it arrive and speak to you then. And if its keeping quiet and won't help you can always email the owner and see if they'd had any thoughts.

I was a newbie in the last round robin, and occasionally felt intimidated by some of the intricate applique going past, but I think the less intricate parts that I added contributed to the quilt as a whole anyway. I found I got all the support and encouragement I needed too. Anyone whos sitting on the fence, go on, take the plunge... you know you want to!
I do so agree with all you said Sazu, I do the same I hang the quilt in my lounge and let it speak to me.

Elle
Old 07-13-2009, 05:53 AM

Thanks Elle -- the pictures did help but WOW -- they can sure be intimidating....

But what the heck, count me in. I'm afraid I can't afford the international shipping charges so add me to the US/Canada list.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Thanks Elle -- the pictures did help but WOW -- they can sure be intimidating....

But what the heck, count me in. I'm afraid I can't afford the international shipping charges so add me to the US/Canada list.

Thanks!
Great, thats lovely to have you on board. I remember one person did an amazing centre with just a pre-printed fabric block and added a small border round it to make it up to size. It looked stunning and very effective, so donīt be intimidated, do what you feel happy with.

Elle
Old 07-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
What an awesome idea klue.... you've got my brain whirring now!
you should do a portrait too - it doesn't have to look exactly like you - mine sure won't considering i've never done one before.

i picked out the fabric last night - i'm going to wear blue eyeshadow. i can't decide if i want to wear red or pink lipstick.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
you should do a portrait too - it doesn't have to look exactly like you - mine sure won't considering i've never done one before.

i picked out the fabric last night - i'm going to wear blue eyeshadow. i can't decide if i want to wear red or pink lipstick.
It sounds awesome. Love the concept.

Elle
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Really... That could be a theme sometime, a self portriat, whatever that may be. :D I would be an Earth Mother with flowing red hair.
i could just see it - you would be beautiful.