Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: January 2013 Doll Quilt Swap Sign Up

After 30 years of quilting, I am still hesitant to try some stitching on my sewing machine other than straight stitch, so I usually do my blanket stitch by hand. But on buslady's little DQ, I have quite a lot of blanketstitch to do so I have jumped right in and done it on the machine...oh my I hope they all turn out okay. Hopefully I will improve the more I do Here is a little sneak peak of one already done.

After all, this is why we all participate in these swaps isn't it - to throw caution to the wind and jump in feet first and try some new stitch / technique / pattern - maybe I would do a better job if I were using my feet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

Blog Entries
    Ohhhhh! Sneeky peeks!!! I like what I see! I wish I had enough to give you a sneeky peek. I really feel the pressure. Been looking for turquoise and purple fabrics, hoping to get some inspiration. Significantly increased my stash, but not my inspiration!! Gotta do some PC surfing. It usually goes this way. Then, all of a sudden, it hits me, and I am off to the races. I hope it happens soon, as I wanted to get this one out early. Sooooooo, I am glad you are in no hurry, cause I ain't. LOL I like to coordinate the mailing with my swap partner so we receive at about the same time. Not sure if that is possible with the iffy trans continental postal service. Hows that for a mouth full. LOL
    Anyway, don't you worry about the Birthday thing, I try to forget. As a matter of fact, this morning I was doing the math thing trying to figure out how old I will be. I think I will stick with 49 for a couple more years. LOL
    And I am oh so jelous! I wish I could go the the shack and sew. Does it have electricity? Do you have a sewing machine, or do you do hand work while there? My DBIL has a cabin up north that we can use, but he closes it down in the winter. Says he can't keep the drive clear. OH POOOO!! There is a huge hill right there that is begging to be sled on. Have fun up there, and I am so glad to hear the fires are down some.
    I think I have a great sense of humor. Sometimes it comes off a little off though, cause I tend to say things to people I don't know very well, and they just look at me like I'm nuts. I have to explain that it was a joke. By then it is to late. LOL If you have to explain it, it ain't funny. Ya think?!?
    On the note of inspirations, I like to look through my magazines, even sales stuff with ideas on them. This board gives me lots of inspiration. And I have been inpired to try lots of new techniques. When you are working on something small, if you make a mistake, or don't like the technique, smaller IS better. I think that is why I am so stressed out about this month. Everything I can think of, I have already done. I want to do something new. It will come to me.
    I like the idea of a DQ theme based on a cute/inspirations/silly quote or saying. Maybe have each person that signs up submit a couple that they really like and their partner can choose something from that list, and/or have their own inspiration. The posting would give you an idea of what that person likes, at any rate. That way no one would be offended. Like someone who doesn't like animals geting something about pets, or an athiest getting something spiritual. (I tried to pick 2 very extreme cases to make my point). Who don't love animals, not a quilter that I know!! Just cause you don't have them, don't mean you don't like them. OK, now I am just rambling. Bye for now.
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

This month I am lurking and watching what you all are coming up with. But I want to pass on that my quilt instructor has all the doll quilts that we did in class in one download on her site. The patterns will be up for about a month.
    Lynbrown.com It is called 2012 Doll Quilt E book. It has all 14 doll quilt patterns which some of you may like and it is free for now.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    The first one I started was too murky. Now I'm onto something cheerful. Except on block four I realized I put one piece on the wrong way. Grrrrr.

OK. I read the requests for a focus color. Haven't we done something like that before - black and white with a splash of (fill in the blank). So what color? What if someone hates the color? Well, I guess that way they can get rid of it.

While you hash it out, I have the idea for February ... the word is FAUX. More on this to follow ...
    I'll put my thoughts out there again..how abt if we give a individual theme to our partners and see what they create around our own themes..like i'd tell my partner one mth "house" and she might say "cows"...I think this will keep all our interests...when we post our picture of what we rec'd we tell the theme it's based on...

buslady, don't worry too much about the colors, you know I just like the whole surprise of receiving a Dolls Quilt - as the saying goes 'I'm easy'.

Yes, we have electricity now at the shack, didn't for the first 20 years we just relied on a noisy generator or gas lamps so all I could do was handsewing. But as my eyesight failed and I complained that I couldn't see to read or sew, DH decided to put electricity on. So now I have a room dedicated just to sewing with 2 sewing machines, cutting table, ironing board and lots of containers of scraps. I will take a photo to show you.

You wouldn't believe that after the horrific bushfires over the weekend, the past couple of days have been almost like winter and there was even snow in the highlands - we certainly can get 4 seasons in one day. But although the fires down south are still burning and are a threat to some communities, the worst has gone (for now) - time for recovery. No lives lost but about 130 properties and so many animals in distress, it makes me cry seeing the images.

I get my inspiration for quilts from blogspots on the computer, I have hundreds of photos of quilts downloaded onto my computer that I want to make one day... hahaha, like that is going to happen. I also love quilting magazines and I usually see something I like and draw the pattern up to suit myself.

Blog Entries
    Lynnie25 I keep looking to see if the mailman has delivered your December DQ and still nothing.... I promise I shipped it out so hopefully it arrives within the next few days. How I envy a fishing shack or just a cabin to relax at - buslady has it going on as well - she has family that has a cabin - around here they're considered a lot of fun to have. I live in the land of 10,000 Lakes but live in one of the only counties in the whole state without a lake - I also like to drop a line and see what I can catch. Glad the fires have subsided and that nobody was hurt - nasty business those wild fires.
    I took the doll quilt you made and sent me to quilt club this past weekend - it was properly oohed and ahhed over; they all liked it and thought it was extra special because you put the shape of Australia in the corner. Again thank you.
    Be good to yourself - do one thing each day that makes you smile.

FAUX ???? come on Krystyna, it is explanation time.

I think the idea of a "theme to your partner" is a good idea too. So many things we can do.
    Paula
    Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

dabbler, your DQ will arrive soon I am sure, it usually takes about 2 weeks or more to transverse the Pacific. I am waiting patiently believe me cause from the sneak peek I know it is worth the wait

LOL I just spent 12 days at our shack and didn't go near the lake once, spent every day looking at it from the comfort and coolness of the verandah though. Oh my all those lakes and you live somewhere where there isn't one, that is kinda amusing

urgodschild, thanks for the lynbrown.com link, have added it to my favourites for inspiration for a future DQ

Blog Entries
    ok krystyna-- do you mean, one faux you? and one faux me??
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

ok hooked give it up. what faux? oh dear just promised myself taking a month off after this. dear dear me. oh finished your dq dragonfly and think its better than the other one. that was black pink white and well too.. contrast for me to enjoy and too .. well too much in your face. This one has the opposite problem but will not bug you over time when you come into your sewing room and catch it on your dq wall. it will blend better not pop out and scream hello everytime lol. calm is good.

I think I cant think of what faux would be. now I am really wondering faux.. forest? faux jewels? umm faberge faux egg? argh. ok deal is.. we want to know and we are such terrible impatient children it will be easier to tell then to keep it a secret Krystyna. pretty please with sugar on top? send you fabric if you tell.. have a pretty little piece of kaffee fassette with your name on it (good bribe there).. and get this its bigger than a five inch square even.. ooooww tempted now I can feel it..
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Oh Elisabrat - I hope you don't mind "in you face" too much cause as you could tell by the fabric peek I gave you, the one I made for you is not exactly subtle. More of a whimsical kind of brightness.
    I think the combo of black, pink and white sounds lovely but I cant wait to see what you decided on.
    Paula
    Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.

Blog Entries
    OK. Maybe not such a hot idea, but here's faux. Faux Cathedral Windows. Faux Log Cabin. Faux Piecing. Faux Quilt Fabric. Faux Applique. Google Faux Quilt and see what you come up with.

Or ... back to the focus color ...
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Blog Entries
    I like faux. It would be interesting to see what people come up with for that. When you said it I thought about faux lether. I use it a lot in my purses. I really liked the scrappy month we did and I can see that bleeding into a faux theme. QuiltingKrazy did a great job covering for you, but it is great to see you back.
    Lynnie, yippie skippie and yahooo!! I did it. I found me an inspiration and I got a good deal of it cut out last night. I even sewed, cut and pressed the half square triangles. I even figured out what new technique this one will use. Ha! I am pumped up to go home and sew. But I have to go to see my rhumatologist this afternoon. Booo!, but this time I will remember my purse, and my list, so I can make a stop at the LQS that is down there!! Can you say "quick". I can say it, but I can't do it!! oh, and my DQ has both purple and turquoise!!!! Yea, me!!!!!
    Onalee Rose
    "There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

Blog Entries
    Anyone else like faux -- or should we move on to the next idea?
    Krystyna

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    Krystyna -- Go to the post office in Baldwin -- you have a pkg waiting for you there -- they said they left notice 1/7

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    How about a faux pas? I've done a lot of them.

Blog Entries
    Nancy, they fib! Or maybe not. Just sent you a PM about the weird system of getting mail they have here. Maybe you have a package, maybe you have three. Maybe it's in the parcel box that won't open with the broken key. You never know. But it is gorgeous out and I'm on my way!
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Oh I have some evil ideas rolling around in my mind. You'll be so sorry that I'm back, ha ha ha!!!

A technique you've never done before ...

Curves ...

Completely hand-stitched ...

Or ... ? ? ?

I was thinking of paper piecing but my buddy RWQuilts has a spring one going ... and I hope you'll all sign up!
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
    Oh I have some evil ideas rolling around in my mind. You'll be so sorry that I'm back, ha ha ha!!!

A technique you've never done before ...

Curves ...

Completely hand-stitched ...

Or ... ? ? ?

I was thinking of paper piecing but my buddy RWQuilts has a spring one going ... and I hope you'll all sign up!
    I won't be sad your back! LOL I like the idea of technique never done. paper piecing and my brain just don't click. I do everything backwards
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Or ...
    Primitive
    Strips and Stripes
    Animal Kingdom
    Waiting for Spring ...
    Krystyna

Blog Entries
    OOOOOOOOO!! I like em all!! Cept maybe the paper piecing. I'm with QK on that one. I've been doing some sew and flip, I can handle that. LOL and curves, I love curves. My halloween DQ had a moon in it that was cut and pieced in. I was pretty proud of myself on that one. I was at the Quilt show in Cincinatti last year and signed up for a tool of the month from a lady their. It is templates for all sorts of curves and such. I have been dying to use them. Did I mention I am an impulse shopper?
    Onalee Rose

Blog Entries
    Maybe I should create a survey monkey so everyone can vote?
    Krystyna

I have tried paper piecing and I seem to waste a lot of fabric and it is so hard to figure out. I keep telling myself that others can do it and it looks so crisp and neat....but when I try it......ugh. so I shy away from paper piecing things. I was doing the block a month calendar thing from last year and several months was paper piecing and I just couldn't do it so I stopped making them. Ok I guess that makes me a quitter. Sigh. I like all the suggestions that you h ave said so far. I didn't sign up this month and so far it has been good. I think I needed the rest.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Blog Entries
    URGodsChild, unlike you, I love paper piecing. Once you get the hang of it, it is so much fun and everything does come out so crisp and clean. RWQuilts makes wonderful little quilts with that technique. I'm sure she'd help you out. Also check out Carol Doan's site with lots of beginner techniques. My own fear is applique. I'd love to do it, but it looks so complicated.
    Krystyna

My DQ is on it''s way to KitsyKeel...Theme for 2013 versus using the 3 colors...Hope she like it...

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast