Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups >

June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

Old 05-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Default June 9 Patch Block Swap Signups

June 9 Patch Block Swap

Join us for our second 9 Patch Block Swap, a very fun way to use up your scraps! Please read this entire post! There are changes since last time….

Sign ups require a commitment to communicate. You will be required to check in with your thread at least once a week, so we know you are still involved. Post your pics of blocks or anything else you are working on, reply to other’s pictures and comments, or chat a bit. We had a nice community last time, because of the ones who participated in the thread.

Also, anyone who does not respond to my pms and/or emails will be subject to banning from this and future swaps. If I contact you, you must respond in a timely manner (not longer than 48 hours). I am not going to tolerate the silent treatment. Period.

This swap is open to International swappers, too… providing they send the additional postage for return shipment. Please research how much return shipping you will need (from Mississippi, USA) and include it.

We are swapping sets of 10 blocks per bag, up to 10 bags. Bags must contain 10 completely different blocks (no fabric repeats in a bag.) Each bag can contain the same set, just no duplicates in any one bag. I need the bags ready to swap bag-for-bag.

The finished blocks will be 6.5” and will be made of two different fabrics only. Please look at these examples:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594452[/ATTACH]

Please try to use different fabrics than you used in the last swap

You will need quart size bags (not sandwich) to accommodate the size of the blocks. Please put your board name on each bag. Before mailing, put all your bags into a big gallon bag with your name and address clearly on the bag, along with your board name. Then ship in either a tyvek or padded flat rate envelope. No paper envelopes, as they don’t hold up. Be sure to include your return postage! It’s $7.25 now for the padded flat rate envelopes I will use for U.S. shipping. I will not be making change this time, so if you send $8 or $10 I will consider it a donation towards the printer ink and tape fund.

Please use good fabric in your blocks… like you would hope to receive. 100% cotton, only. No thin fabrics. If you have to starch it to make it acceptable, don’t use it for this swap. Prewashed or not really doesn’t matter in pieces this size, so just use what you have.

We are doing the same theme as last time: Colors!, making two fabric blocks, checkerboard style… 5 of one fabric and 4 of another in each block. No solid white, cream, WOW or COC. Let’s use color! Prints on white or cream backgrounds are fine. However, if your fabric reads as ‘white’ from across the room, the block will be returned to you, unswapped.

Use your scraps, but please use different ones than last time. If you can cut your scraps into long strips 2.5” wide, strip piecing is actually the fastest way to make a lot of blocks. Here is a link to a tutorial on this method:
https://www.connectingthreads.com/tutorials/Nine_Patch_Lesson_2_Speed_Strip_Quilting_for_a_Bab y_quilt__D3.html

Choose two prints that look fun together, but not necessarily matchy-matchy!

Your finished blocks must measure 6.5”. In a follow-up post I will tell you how to insure they do. Everyone did great with this last time… let’s continue!

As always, regular Quilting Board swap rules apply: Rules For Swaps And Similar Activities - Updated 8 December 2010

Let’s have fun again!

SBG
Attached Thumbnails img_3377.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Default How to Make Perfect 6.5" 9 Patches

Many of you are pros at making perfect 9 patches, but for those who struggle, I have some tips. Blocks must be 6.5" square to be eligible for this swap (so they fit with everyone else's... ), and not just because I am mean. So how do we get that?

Start by squaring off a straight cut across your fabric or scrap. When you cut your 2.5" strips or squares, pay attention that your ruler line is on the fabric, not the mat. Then get your true 2.5" cut.

I have found that I have to sew a scant quarter inch seam. If I sew a full 1/4, my blocks come out too small. Every time. I have a scant quarter foot on my Juki that I use, but if you machine does not, you need to experiment and find a line on your machine bed, or place a piece of tape where that scant quarter line is. Then follow it!

After sewing, I press to the dark, and my little checkerboard 9-patch will have beautifully nesting seams. I also check to see that the center block or strip is measuring exactly 2", as it should.

When cross cutting strip sets, again square off a straight line perpendicular to the long edges and measure from there, with the ruler line again on the fabric and not the mat.

There are online tutes about how to spin seams at your four intersections, if you need them.

Lastly, take your 6.5" ruler and place it on your pressed block and sliver trim the edges. If something doesn't quite reach the 6.5" edge, you may have to pick open a couple of little seams and alter them slightly. You wouldn't believe how often I do this, so I can send the right size block.

Remember, 6.5"... not 6.25" or 6.75" or 6.5"x 6.25".
Old 05-14-2018, 06:11 PM

I'm in...can't wait!
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM

I want to join! :-) I didn't read post #1. lol Just kidding.
It's #2 I didn't read. lol Oh, no... just kidding again!
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Quite the jokester, Givio! Not everyone will need post #2... But #1 is a requirement, so everyone is on the same page. Last time people made some mistakes that let me know they did not bother to read the instructions. (I love it when I get to use the green face!)

One thing I wanted to mention to all players in this swap: The hostess gifts I received last time were awesome, but I want you to know it is not necessary! If you want to bless me with a gift, please just send an extra 9patch or two for me. I would be thrilled with that.

Let the 9 Patches begin! I've been making some tonight, myself.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:35 AM

DH and I are going to be on vacation in a few weeks (30th anniversary - woo hoo!), so I needed to get a jump start on my blocks. Here are some of my favorites. I sent a PM to sign up a little while ago.

I'm using a different version of my photo editing software, and it's very different than the previous one. They moved all the buttons around! Ahhh! (There's that "green face" again! ha ha) Hopefully the pictures are a good size (not too big, and not too small). Any blocks that might look crooked are just my rushed photography.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594476[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594477[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails blocks-.jpg   blocks-b.jpg  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 AM

I'm in

Awesome blocks moon here are some of mine I have been working on

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594481[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails z-9-patch-2-all.jpg  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:38 AM

I just PMd you to join this swap. I am unable to do pictures. I haven't been able to figure it out. I know there is a tute on the board somewhere. The blocks are beautiful. I have a lot of material left over from the Red White and blue swap so I am going to use some of that up, material from my disappearing quilt I made my Grandson. So the sewing begins.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:59 AM

Fun, fun, fun! Round two!!

Lovely blocks shown already, moonrise and Billi! You are on top of things!

I'll be watching and chatting with you ladies, but unfortunately I won't be able to participate this time. Such a shame, as I have so many scraps from my last thrift store haul-- something like 8 yards, lol!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

NZQuilter, you have bigger fish to fry right now... moving is an ordeal so don't worry about this swap. Hope you join another one later. Glad you will still be participating in the thread as much as you are able. Good luck with the move and hope everything goes smoothly!