Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
"Make it round" mug rug swap >

"Make it round" mug rug swap

"Make it round" mug rug swap

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM

I've got 2 down and 2 to go. Having way too much fun making these round mug rugs.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 AM

I have one mugrug made, 3 more to go. I do have 2 rejects though they will come in handy as gifts
Old 03-29-2012, 12:45 PM

There are some pretty mug rugs here, but are we just putting in the cotton batting? Just checking so I know how to do mine correct. I have not started so no panics yet, but will be using an embroidery design to so one and thought I better check on that before complete construction is done. There are some really nice ones. Also, is it ok to copy an idea on here? I like the selvage one and I have a bag of selvages that I am giving away to a friend, but thought it might be fun to try using them. Let me know.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM

I'm so excited to get to work, but too many doctor & kid-related obligations the past 2 weeks. I'm HOPING the coming week will be a bit better & I can play with the new fabric that I bought for 2 of them!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
There are some pretty mug rugs here, but are we just putting in the cotton batting? Just checking so I know how to do mine correct. I have not started so no panics yet, but will be using an embroidery design to so one and thought I better check on that before complete construction is done. There are some really nice ones. Also, is it ok to copy an idea on here? I like the selvage one and I have a bag of selvages that I am giving away to a friend, but thought it might be fun to try using them. Let me know.
Quiltermama, I'd say if you want to use selvedges, go ahead and play, why not?

As far as the mug rugs themselves, and if I understand this correctly, they are to be three layers, the top,backing and batting in between, so you will need to do some quilting to hold it all together. Of course, there is no rule that says you can't do that with machine embroidery.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:52 PM

I used iron on fusible batting. Ironed on the wrong side of front because I piece the back to quick turn. I was also thinking of embroidering the 4th one. Waiting for my partners name before I start it.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 PM

i have mine mostly finished-- but, sorry, no peeks!! i'm waiting for my partner to see them first. names will be out soon--WOO HOO!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks, will do then. Yes, it is just a couple of more days and the names will be out. So now I get to apply some of the new designs I just got today for this swap. That should be some fun. I am playing with applique/embroidery ideas.

Ok, are we putting on bias binding or are we turning these? Is there a preference? I noticed a variation.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:36 PM

i've turned mine because of the design. i didn't see where it was specified that they had to be one way. if mine are short of nine inches i'll have to add a thick binding, lol! do what you gotta do! LOL
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 AM

Can't wait for swap partner's name!!! Want to get going on the last one