Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
March 5" Charm Swap - Color Theme Neutral >

March 5" Charm Swap - Color Theme Neutral

March 5" Charm Swap - Color Theme Neutral

Old 03-10-2018, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
We haven't done aqua...more have we done Brown or black. What else could there be?
Polka dots? That would be fun!!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I wish you wouldn't... The rules for swaps state that if a fabric is so thin that it must be starched to be acceptable, it's not fit for swapping. Now some people like to starch so they can cut better, but I would think all that starch would dull your blades faster.

You are going to get differing opinions on starch. Some people love it. I like fabric that feels like fabric, not cardboard. We are all different. In every swap I get some that are starched enough to stand up by themselves! Just do what you prefer.
Thanks sewbizgirl! I don’t either but I just watched a video from Fat Quarter Shop and she starches all her fabrics heavy. I have good -Quilt store -100% Cotton- fabric so I am ok. But I am also nervous (this being my first swap) and want to do right by the group... Thank you for the info and now I will go get to cutting and packing!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 AM

In every swap I get some that are starched enough to stand up by themselves!
Those squares make me smile for some reason. They could easily fly like Frisbees!

Pretty much the only time I use starch is when the fabric is pre-washed, and then I only starch it lightly to give it some "body" for easier cutting. The vast majority of my stash is unwashed, so I just mist the fabric lightly with water when I'm ironing it to help knock out any wrinkles.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=pinkflowers, Polka dots? That would be fun!![/QUOTE]

Oh I like polka dots! Also batiks, spring flowers and we did purple, how about lavender. You will see will see why I said purple in a second.

OK, here is my story! I have two plastic containers that I store my 5" charms in. These were saved from swaps from the past 5 or 6 years. In one I put my purple charms. My dh birthday is coming up and he loves purple so I was going to make him a quilt for his birthday. Said container is missing! We have been searching for it all week. I feel sick and so stressed about it.

My question is this. Would any one care to swap purple charms with me? Just name what you want for the trade and I will try to send what you need. I can send FQ's, F8' Yardage, other 5" charms.

Red, I hope it is alright to request this. If not then please delete it. I certainly do not want to step on any ones toes!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

I'm so sorry about that, sunrise. I have very little purple, myself, as I don't use it much. Hope your container shows up!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Sunrise, I have purple charms! How many do you need? I missed a few colors in past swaps, so I would be happy to swap any color that you have extra of.

Fearless Leader Red -- can we do this?
Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I'm so sorry about that, sunrise. I have very little purple, myself, as I don't use it much. Hope your container shows up!
Me too Bonnie! My dh keeps saying it will show up and I guess he is right I look every time I go downstairs (basement sewing room) and feel like crying.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Just letting you know that my neutral swap was mailed yesterday.

I have had such good offers for my purple charms. I think I will have enough purple to go ahead and start a purple quilt for my DH now.

Thank you to all that responded! I will send a picture when it is completed.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by hav4boys View Post
I am looking forward to rainbow. Multicolored fabrics! It will be my favorite.
I vote for rainbow also - it would give a variety of squares. And maybe by then I will have adjusted to this cast and will be able to participate. I ordered some neutrals but probably can't get them cut and in the mail this soon. Falling and breaking a bone in my arm was not part of my plan!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:11 PM

I have my squares just about ready to mail. I am trying to get all done by bedtime, but I may not. In which case, mailing will be on Wednesday, instead of tomorrow.

I read through the discussions of the edgy vs. non-edgy fabrics. Some seem to favor non, or more traditional neutrals, and some don't, so I decided to make two different groupings of baggies. Some are only WOW and COC, and some are not. I have used a lot of WOW/COC over the years. I especially like them with 30's repros.

I recently started following Bonnie Hunter, and my idea of a neutral went from bland to interesting! I love the edgy choices for neutrals. The rule I follow is: The background color is what determines if a fabric is neutral or not.

Looking through my fabric bins has been fun because I found a bunch of these "new" neutrals hiding out in the bins that were in that particular color bin.

I will post went I am able to get them mailed.