Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
March/April 9 Patch Block Swap-- Sign Has Closed >

March/April 9 Patch Block Swap-- Sign Has Closed

March/April 9 Patch Block Swap-- Sign Has Closed

Old 03-04-2018, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

Default March/April 9 Patch Block Swap-- Sign Has Closed

Join us for a 9 Patch Block Swap, a very fun way to use up your scraps! The finished blocks will be 6.5” and will be made of two different fabrics only. Please look at the examples at the end.

Sign ups are open until March 20. Blocks to me no later than April 30 and will be returned to you the first week of May. If they all come in early, we swap early!

This swap is open to International swappers, too… providing they send the additional postage for return shipment. Please research how much return shipping you will need (from Mississippi, USA) and include it.

We are swapping sets of 10 blocks per bag, up to 8 bags. You will need quart size bags (not sandwich) to accommodate the size of the blocks. I suggest making the maximum number of bags to get the most out of postage costs, but it’s up to you to decide how many you want to send. Please put your board name on each bag. Before mailing, put all your bags into a big gallon bag with your name and address clearly onthe bag, along with your board name. Then ship in either a tyvek or padded flat rate envelope. No paper envelopes, please, as they don’t hold up. Be sure to include your return postage! It’s $7.25 now for the padded flat rate envelopes I will use for U.S. shipping.

Bags can contain 10 identical blocks, or a mixture. The only restriction is that you must not send more than 10 identical blocks, and please keep like blocks in the same bag. (To make it easier on me!)

Please use good fabric… like you would hope to receive. 100% cotton, only. No thin fabrics. If you have to starch it to make it acceptable, don’t use it for this swap. Prewashed or not really doesn’t matter in pieces this size, so just use what you have.

We are making two-fabric blocks, checkerboard style… 5 of one fabric and 4 of another in each block. Use your scraps up! If you have 2.5” wide strips already cut, use them! Or 2.5” squares, as long as you have 4 of one fabric and 5 of another for each block. If you can cut long strips 2.5” wide, strip piecing is actually the fastest way to make a lot of blocks. Here is a link to a tutorial on this method:

https://www.connectingthreads.com/tutorials/Nine_Patch_Lesson_2_Speed_Strip_Quilting_for_a_Bab y_quilt__D3.html

Choose two prints that look great together!

Lets keep kiddie prints and holiday prints to a minimum, so that the quilts can be for anyone. A few kiddie and holiday are ok, mixed in with the other fabrics. Just not much. Also, this swap is not for solid white, cream, WOW or COC. Let’s use color! Prints with white or cream backgrounds are fine.

Your finished blocks must measure 6.5”.<3 In a follow-up post I will tell you how to insure they do.

As always, regular Quilting Board swap rules apply: Rules For Swaps And Similar Activities - Updated 8 December 2010

Sign up by pm’ing me your intent and please give me your full real name and address, and your phone number too (for emergencies only).

Let’s have a good time! Please post in the thread often and check in regularly to see what is going on in your swap! Post blocks that you make, to encourage others to join the fun.

Below are some example blocks that I have started making:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590188[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590189[/ATTACH]

White background prints= OK. Solid white-type fabrics= Not OK.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590190[/ATTACH]

You can also refer back to this blog post on Crazy Mom Quilts to see examples like we would like for this swap:
http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...ilt-along.html
Attached Thumbnails img_3377.jpg   img_3378.jpg   img_3379.jpg  
Old 03-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Many of you are pros at making perfect 9 patches, but for those who struggle, I have some tips. Blocks must be 6.5" square to be eligible for this swap (so they fit with everyone else's... ), and not just because I am mean. So how do we get that?

Start by squaring off a straight cut across your fabric or scrap. When you cut your 2.5" strips or squares, pay attention that your ruler line is on the fabric, not the mat. Then get your true 2.5" cut.

I have found that I have to sew a scant quarter inch seam. If I sew a full 1/4, my blocks come out too small. Every time. I have a scant quarter foot on my Juki that I use, but if you machine does not, you need to experiment and find a line on your machine bed, or place a piece of tape where that scant quarter line is. Then follow it!

After sewing, I press to the dark, and my little checkerboard 9-patch will have beautifully nesting seams. I also check to see that the center block or strip is measuring exactly 2", as it should.

When cross cutting strip sets, again square off a straight line perpendicular to the long edges and measure from there, with the ruler line again on the fabric and not the mat.

Once I sew my three rows with the seams all beautifully nested, it's then easy to "spin" those intersections to reduce the bulk.
Here is what that looks like:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590194[/ATTACH]
There are online tutes about how to spin seams, if you need them.

Lastly, take your 6.5" ruler and place it on your pressed block and sliver trim the edges. If something doesn't quite reach the 6.5" edge, you may have to pick open a couple of little seams and alter them slightly. You wouldn't believe how often I do this, so I can send the right size block.

Remember, 6.5"... not 6.25" or 6.75" or 6.5"x 6.25".

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-04-2018 at 02:20 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 AM

Sounds interesting. I'll give it some thought. Oh, in the second post, the attachment doesn't seem to be working. It says it's invalid.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Sounds interesting. I'll give it some thought. Oh, in the second post, the attachment doesn't seem to be working. It says it's invalid.
Oh, it shows up for me. Thank you. Here goes again...

Spun seams at intersections.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]590197[/ATTACH]

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that you have to spin your seams. It's just a great bulk reducer, if you do....
Attached Thumbnails img_3383.jpg  

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 03-04-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:09 PM

Just sent you a PM!

Oh, fun! Spinning seams I got really good at that when we had to make 50nine patches in the BH mystery quilt.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:54 PM

Your example blocks are showing some fun prints! It's nice to see what other people have in their stash!

Whew! I'm glad it's not required to spin seams because I don't usually do that. I'll send you a pm-- I'd like to join this swap. I'm sure the international sewers understand that they should send USD for return postage. I hope we get some in this swap, as their fabric prints might be different than USA ones!

There are so many uses for a 6" (finished) block, for example the center of a star, and so many patterns look great with 9-patches! Won't it be exciting to see how each of us uses our blocks? :-)
Old 03-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

I'm planning on sewing my blocks together without sashing, the way they look in my photos. The link to the blog shows them sewn with a white sashing... very pretty too. And you can do them with sashing on two adjoining sides and make a "Dancing 9 Patch", like this:
http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2013/...tern-time.html
(Ours would be even cuter because they are little checkerboards, not random)

This way is called "Ric Rac Nines":
http://lisaskreativseite.blogspot.co.../1035-x-2.html

There's also "Nine Patch and Snowball". I'm sure we'll think of others. Save your leftover short strips for an awesome piano key border.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:20 PM

I am thinking of making alternating snowball blocks for mine. Hopefully I can get a good twin size quilt out of it. I've already made my first set.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:43 PM

That's a good idea! I haven't made a snowball alternating block yet. I think I'm going with a star block though. :-)
Old 03-04-2018, 09:40 PM
Power Poster

Feel free to post some of your blocks as you make them.... Here are 20 that I made today. They went together really fast with the strip method.

Wonder who is going to end up with these?...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590244[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3384.jpg