Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: March Secret Pal Swap Sign Up closes Feb 29th 4pm

Blog Entries
    I am in ..Just PM'd Lori with my info sheet..Diana
    ​Diana Lynne

PM'd my info!
    Alicia
    Homeschool Mom, Quilter, Crafter, Blogger

Sewing mends the soul....

Blog Entries
    Count me in! Sent you a PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm all signed up !
    A good friend is like a warm quilt wrapped
    around the heart

Karen

While I did not participate in the February secret pal swap, I am very happy to join you in the March swap. I noticed some of you are already shopping for your pal. How do you do that without knowing his/ her info? Do you just buy basic notions etc. then add something from their list?
    Happy Sewing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki128 View Post
    While I did not participate in the February secret pal swap, I am very happy to join you in the March swap. I noticed some of you are already shopping for your pal. How do you do that without knowing his/ her info? Do you just buy basic notions etc. then add something from their list?
    Yes. I shop constantly for notions, collectible things and fabric from all sorts of places. On occasion, if i get a notion that is a duplicate, I will recycle that, some object to that, but I always tell my partners I'd rather it get passed on to someone who can use it then sit around. We also usually try to do a sewing or hand crafted project if we're going to do one ahead. For example, we knew Valentines Day was good for the Feb swap, this month you could do something around spring or St Patrick's day IF you wanted to do a project. Some months I feel well enough to do one, others I don't.

Good places to find things can be a Tuesday Morning or Big Lots or thrift stores. One month I was able to find an entire set of BOM plus a backing set from Joann's at a thrift store!! And under or about $10, some one had poorly priced them. Folks also use Joann's coupons, order off line, from Ebay, once you get started, things are everywhere!

Greenini-

Thank you so much. You have given me some great ideas
    Happy Sewing

[QUOTE=nikki128;5000585]While I did not participate in the February secret pal swap, I am very happy to join you in the March swap. I noticed some of you are already shopping for your pal. How do you do that without knowing his/ her info? Do you just buy basic notions etc. then add something from their list?[/QUOTE

Michaels's is also a great place to get general swap items. Aside from their normal items, they also have dollar bins with all kinds of neat stuff in them.
    Brenda

Blog Entries
    Michaels does indeed have some very neat stuff and a lot of times, they have great sales going on..I plan on going there this weekend ..I need to get some glycerin soap to make more soap with..I was wondering the same thing about how quickly some get their packages together..I wish they would share their secret ..Diana

[QUOTE=brenda21;5000795]
    While I did not participate in the February secret pal swap, I am very happy to join you in the March swap. I noticed some of you are already shopping for your pal. How do you do that without knowing his/ her info? Do you just buy basic notions etc. then add something from their list?[/QUOTE

Michaels's is also a great place to get general swap items. Aside from their normal items, they also have dollar bins with all kinds of neat stuff in them.
    ​Diana Lynne

Blog Entries
    greenini gave you the general idea of shopping early for your secret pals and a small stash box. tuesday mornings have several quilty items for $2.99 or less such as thimbles, sewing needles, templates, grid paper. these are general quilty things that quilters use. i am one that do not have many "extra" fabrics in my "stash" as i buy my fabrics for projects so now i search through remnant bins for fabrics. i really like this new remnant pricing strategy at hancocks as all cotton remnants are $2.00/yd. i have found 1 yard remnants of m'liss (reg $8.99/yd) and their top drawer fabric (reg $8.99/yd) to use for swap packages. well..... i loved the m'liss botanical fabric piece so much i am not sure i can part with any of it now.

as far as for handmade things that can be made in advance, it would include things like pincushions, mug rugs, needle books, thread catchers just to name a few. and of course there are basic items such as thread (black, white, tan, blue), hand sewing needles, safety pins that can be bought when on sale or you run into them at great prices in any store.

overall welcome to this monthly swap. we have a great time here and lori is an excellent and patient host. i hope you have fun and do not put yourself through any of that "first time swapper" stress. just put something together that you would like to receive and it will be just great.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Thanks for the encouragement Havplenty
    Happy Sewing

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the encouragement Havplenty
    no problem. and dollar stores are great for items also such as glue sticks, needles, sewing kits, books, etc. i look forward to possibly swapping with you soon.

mary
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    First off, Welcome new Swapper! We luvs our swap.

Lori, that is an interesting cup, I've never seen one either.

Secondly, I shop all the time for things too, whenever I go out, I think of what I could add to a box. Most don't mind used books, whether recipes or quilt stuff so I always look for those too. I also try to make something if I can. sometimes I don't have the time. Although I am gonna toss in a chicken this time or a mouse, or a bird or...oh well, we shall see what ends up in the box! HEE!
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

I'm in all signed up again!
    I love to collect roosters of any kind. I also love embroidery thread for my machine. My favorite color is purple and i am just a plain old country girl.lol

I shop all the time for this swap. And also do basic generic sewing projects. Generally, the boxes are pretty easy to put together with only additional items such as specific fabric colors or candies that have to be purchased before completing the box for mailing. Easy sewing projects are things like pin cushions, mug rugs, coasters, needle books/cases....things of that nature. Those are fast sewing projects to make and I make a LOT of them so that I'm not constantly trying to play catch up when the swap boxes need to be mailed out. Isn't it a wonder that I don't have any quilts made recently since I've been doing those pin cushions, mug rugs, coasters and needle books??? LOL

Blog Entries
    Dollar stores have fun stuff too, baby hair bands to keep bobbins wound tight, pocket tissue holders to make, one month I got a great wallet hand made that I love and it's stuffed full all the time (not so much money,), all kinds of books both quilty and not, cookbooks, Walmarts used to be good when they were closing out their quilting, I could always find something cheap and nice there, now I don't get there so often. All kinds of pins, fabric markers....gee,

Stuff like teas and hot chocolate can all be sent, plus food goodies (except overseas, have to be wary about that). Pet treats are usually welcome for those who have 'em and they will almost always say...

I'm in Already sent Lori my PM. Its so much fun.
    Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Peercy View Post
    Mary are you going to be in this m onth?
    Hi Lori, I might just make it this month. Isn't that the strangest teacup? I love the pattern on it. Are you making a night light out of it? Also how has Marty and yourself been. You can PM me if you want with that info.Mary
    Mary

I love to shop for holiday items when the holiday is over and things are marked down. I put everything in a big box and sort through it for my SP. I have started putting in brochures from my area for the reciepient to look at. I have also used scraps of fabric to use as packing in the box. Gets rid of scraps, packs the items and lets the SP have extra fabrics.

great idea on the scraps
    Happy Sewing

Blog Entries
    sending PM now! Love this! Thanks, Lori!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I shop for goodies wherever I go also. Don't forget to snoop thru the end caps at office supply or opffice depots... they always have great stuff marked down to move it.(notepads, pens, address bks, etc. ) Michaels/ or Joanns are great for fun goodies, cards, notepads, shopping list, scrap booking stuff, etc. If you have a BEN FRANKLIN around , they have fun reasonable priced treasures also. Grocery stores although, can be more pricey, they carry the crystal lites, cafe vienna, hotchoc. teas, etc. walmart carry these things too! Its fun to go on that HUNT for SP pkg. treasures. I have a tub with things I have collected and make just waiting for the right person. Last month I was SUSTRALEYS swap partner and she sent several brochures about her local area. I really enjoyed reading those and learning about her area. Most of us won't have the opportunity to travel to far from home, so its a GREAT way to travel via your COUCH!!! ENJOY... can't wait for our MARCH assignments .Potholders, pincous. bath soaps, candles, chapstick hand lotions, scappy fabrics, pens, candy, oh the list of ideas for giving goes on and on.... Most of all have FUN :-)
    Last edited by Jan Rutherford; 02-23-2012 at 08:53 PM.
    catsnquiltsgotogether

So sign me up for March.
    Last edited by PatriceJ; 02-24-2012 at 02:24 PM.

doris.meek13088--remove your info from here. Send a PM to Lori with the info you have posted. That way it is kept private. The above info you posted is being seen by ALL. You don't want that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori Peercy View Post
    Never seen anything like it before! I has a whole in the bottom for a night light!
    That is adorable! I wish there was a way to cut cups in half like that. Wouldn't it be great to have them as key holders?
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast