Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
May 2017 Mug Rug Swap -- What's in Your Garden? >

May 2017 Mug Rug Swap -- What's in Your Garden?

May 2017 Mug Rug Swap -- What's in Your Garden?

Old 04-22-2017, 05:16 AM

Default May 2017 Mug Rug Swap -- What's in Your Garden?

May 2017 Mug Rug Swap — What’s In Your Garden?

May is such a beautiful month, isn’t it? And the gardens are alive — with lovely flowers & … & … what kind of bug is that? Uh-oh, the deer are eating my roses again!

We will celebrate May & all its glory by making beautiful mug rugs. And we all know how to do that, right?

What is a mug rug? A mug rug is an item you use to place a cup of coffee, tea or soda on, along with a small snack plate/napkin beside it. It’s approximately 9”x8” or larger so both items will fit. Please do not make it smaller than 9”x 8” (unless your partner tells you specifically that she wants a smaller size), as that is quite small for both items as it is!

1. You will be assigned a partner. This is not a secret pal swap. Each partner will contact the other partner for addresses. You are encouraged to talk to each other and find out little things about them so you can make a special gift just for them. Then think about this month’s theme — What’s In Your Garden? Then plan a special mug rug. Will you appliqué or paper-piece or just go with regular piecing? Will you make your mug rug rectangular, circular, square, hexagonal? How you choose to make your mug rug is up to you, but make it with love & pride!

2. The mug rug must be made with 100% quilter’s cotton, with a nice cotton batting in between to protect furniture from possible damage due to heat/cold. Use a binding method you are comfortable with, or practice & learn a new binding technique! Also, the mug rug must be quilted. Remember, this is a gift you are making for someone. Be proud of your work & do your best. And be kind about what you receive. If you have any issues, please work it out with your partner first, before contacting me; communication is key. This board is for all of us to make friends & have fun.

3. You must send your name, address, e-mail address and phone number to me, ctyankee, by April 30th. Deadline to send out swaps is May 20th & don’t forget to send me notice, with tracking number, that you have sent to your partner. Any delays in mailing must be shared with me prior to the deadline of May 20th. I want everyone to receive a partner’s trade. We should not have to request angels. Again, communication is important. You can be forgiven if something comes up & you notify your partner & me prior to the deadline. But if you don’t communicate & don’t send out a mug rug to your partner, you will be locked out of swapping with this group and negative feedback will insure other swap groups know you didn't send. Also, if your partner has not sent to you by the deadline & you have not heard from her, please let me know. I’m pretty easy-going about things, but there is rarely a good reason for non-communication. If your partner has not communicated with you at all, let me know ‘way before the deadline so we can possibly avoid a problem later.

4. Also, please let me know if you can mail internationally! This is important, as we have quite a few international swappers who want to join us, & I don’t want anybody to be left out. So if you can ship internationally — even just one time — that would make it more fun for our overseas & Canadian swappers!

5. You are free to include little gifties with your mug rug, handmade or store-bought; it’s up to you. But you are only obligated to send a mug rug. Nothing else is required in this swap.

6. Any questions? Contact me immediately and I will help get you started.

7. Please take a photo before you ship your package to your partner, just in case she cannot post a photo. We all love to see photos! But don’t post it until you know your partner has received your package & that she is unable to post a photo herself.

8. Be sure to label the outside of the package with the name of the swap & your swap name. Many people sign up for more than one swap & it can be confusing to the recipient in trying to figure out which swap it came from.

9. And most of all — just have fun!

SIGN UP TODAY! Send me a PM with your name, address, e-mail address & phone number for emergency use only. If you have a preference of what you receive, just communicate that with your partner. Names will be posted on May 1st, the latest. You are required by the board to send things you sign up for, or risk not having the ability to swap again in other swaps. Again, per board rules, anything about your partner or the item they send to you that does not please you is not to be posted on the board but sent in a PM to me, ctyankee, or to your partner to sort out. It’s polite and it’s the right thing to do.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:01 AM

I am in for this month, excited to research what is in my garden?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:01 AM

I have to apologize for this late posting. I thought today was the 21st! I normally post on the 20th! I've been sick since Good Friday &, apparently, have no idea what day today is. I'm sorry that you will not have as much time as usual. Besides recovering from a bad head cold etc., I'm still downsizing & packing stuff, as we will be moving overseas early next year.

Please make sure you PM me when you sign up!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 PM

Ctyankee sorry to hear you have been under the weather hope you get to feeling better soon. I know what you mean about the moving I did that a lot when I was in the military. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 PM

I am in again.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:45 AM

I sent pm. I am ready
Old 04-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Hey, people, there is still time to sign up. All are welcome! And, really, don't you want to share with us what's in your garden????
Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM

ctyankee, I'm still trying to catch up and get some longarm quilting done on the quilts I made in Florida, plus the ones hanging in the closet that weren't done when I left. Have another customer quilt that needs to be quilted also. I better "stick to business" this month and try to get some of this done. Hopefully next month will be better and not so rushed!
Hopefully mine from last month will arrive soon.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:21 AM

jaba -- thanks for your invaluable help in the April swap. I really appreciate it & know just how much time it takes to get through each month! Hope you get your mug rug soon, & pop in when you can in May!
Old 04-27-2017, 03:25 AM

Here's the sign-up list for May's swap. Did I miss anyone?

1. Armylady2012
2. ljdugas31
3. dharen7
4. DesertNurse41
5. bgood
6. Lilrain
7. hearthhush
8. cuppy
9. nhnative

mpepperm37 -- I know you want to sign up, but I don't have any of your details -- full name, address, phone # & e-mail address.

There's still time to sign up for May, ladies!