Modern Mini Quilt swap

Old 06-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Banned

check out this technique for something fun, new and exciting..ok, so this is not really new, but it is FUN...albeit messy and very time consuming, so plant to do more than one piece at a time!

http://suzyssitcom.com/2011/04/featu...-crayons.html#
Old 06-18-2012, 08:18 AM

that does look like fun! i'll have to hit the dollar store and wait for dh to go to work! can't be doing that in the kitchen while he's home. for anyone who wants to make batik this way, i have used disposable muffin tins ( the 6 muffin size) and a water bath in an electric fry pan. also, if you have an electric warming plate,( from the 60's or 70's, lololol) you can cover it carefully with foil and then draw directly on it, place fabric over the wax drawing for a reverse printing. it comes out pretty neat looking! the i-dyes are made with warm water to start, but can be used when they are cooler. the directions say to leave the fabric in for about an hour, stirring it once in a while. colors are quite vibrant! i've never seen the spray dye, but i'd love to try it!

Last edited by nancia; 06-18-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
that does look like fun! i'll have to hit the dollar store and wait for dh to go to work! can't be doing that in the kitchen while he's home. for anyone who wants to make batik this way, i have used disposable muffin tins ( the 6 muffin size) and a water bath in an electric fry pan. also, if you have an electric warming plate,( from the 60's or 70's, lololol) you can cover it carefully with foil and then draw directly on it, place fabric over the wax drawing for a reverse printing. it comes out pretty neat looking! the i-dyes are made with warm water to start, but can be used when they are cooler. the directions say to leave the fabric in for about an hour, stirring it once in a while. colors are quite vibrant! i've never seen the spray dye, but i'd love to try it!
I wish I still had the electric skillet or warming tray...dang it...I have a mini muffin tin just for crafting, so it will work fine..might use the toaster oven too so as not to heat the whole house..hehehhe
but that electric skillet sure would work wonders..hehehe
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM

ha, I just pinned that the other day on Pinterest! really wanting to give it a try
Old 06-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Catching up on posting pictures .....

Nancy in Louisiana sent me this beautiful mini quilt made from batiks ... love the fabrics and the informal design and the quilting! Nancy, you made my day!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342889[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails nancy-louisiana-...-vertical-view.jpg  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM

ooo, that's lovely! the colors really pop! nice, nancy!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
check out this technique for something fun, new and exciting..ok, so this is not really new, but it is FUN...albeit messy and very time consuming, so plant to do more than one piece at a time!

http://suzyssitcom.com/2011/04/featu...-crayons.html#

What a great project to ADD to my TQL! It just keeps getting longer and longer and lo....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

Looks interesting using the melted crayons to paint the fabric, and the quilt is my idea of a modern quilt. Very nice. I love all the colors on the gray.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I wish I still had the electric skillet or warming tray...dang it...I have a mini muffin tin just for crafting, so it will work fine..might use the toaster oven too so as not to heat the whole house..hehehhe
but that electric skillet sure would work wonders..hehehe
jaci sounds like a trip 'junking' is called for. i'll bet there is an electric skillet at some yard/garage/thrift store sale somewhere.

this project sounds like fun. i am saving it for another day.

mary
Old 06-18-2012, 03:18 PM

i need some consolation, or some straight out lying to make me feel better! i just embroidered on my quilt with the machine (of course) and forgot to move the backing out of the way, so now i have all these words backwards on the back! what to do????