Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Mini Quilt swap

Blog Entries
    well my first modern mini idea does not have any grays or whites for background fabric in it. it will be a kaffe fasset inspired mini. my 2nd mini idea does have a white background in it. both will be modern and both will be, imho, pretty nice.

for those who are not modern quilting enthusiast, this style may take some getting use to. the prints are vivid, the styles are more geometric, or solids, or freestyle and perhaps not the traditional quilt patterns you are used to.

i would say keep an open mind about it all for this swap, on both the receiving and giving end. i know i will and i look forward to receiving your creations. it is good to challenge yourself and add something different to your quilting repretoire.
    Last edited by Havplenty; 05-22-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    well my first modern mini idea does not have any grays or whites for background fabric in it. it will be a kaffe fasset inspired mini. my 2nd mini idea does have a white background in it. both will be modern and both will be, imho, pretty nice.

for those who are not modern quilting enthusiast, this style may take some getting use to. the prints are vivid, the styles are more geometric, or solids, or freestyle and perhaps not the traditional quilt patterns you are used to.

i would say keep an open mind about it all for this swap, on both the receiving and giving end. i know i will and i look forward to receiving your creations. it is good to challenge yourself and add something different to your quilting repretoire.

Great and encouraging words Havplenty. After studying what mini modern or modern is for that matter, I have decided to sit out on the sidelines and observe. I agree with your statement

"it is good to challenge yourself and add something different to your quilting repretoire."

Maybe at a different time. I will be cheering y'all on though! Waving wildly from Washington!!!!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with! I am sure everyone's will be unique!

Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

Blog Entries
    golds-- you will have a great time! modern is just less fussy, more relaxed. and really, couldn't be easier! i'm very excited about it and can't wait to get started!
    havplenty--i'm sure i'm going to like both your quilts! they sound wonderful!

can't wait to get started!!
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    This swap is soooo outside my comfort zone. I love the challenge. Reminds me of sketching nudes in college. That exercise forced me to draw without looking at my paper. It really worked.
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    This swap is soooo outside my comfort zone. I love the challenge. Reminds me of sketching nudes in college. That exercise forced me to draw without looking at my paper. It really worked.
    sketching nudes, huh? i would think less looking at the paper was more inspiring and hopefully not distracting. one of my roomates use to be a nude model in college. ester (my roommate)had a unique personality to say the least.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)

Blog Entries
    they call it "life drawing" I had a headache the entire course.
    Just passing through!

This really is going to be a fun one. Got my fabric this morning and I'm ready to go.....can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Our cities Center for the Arts had an art sale last winter and just one small art quilt was featured..it was very colorful, raw edges on everything, and embellished like I've never seen before, plus it carried a hefty price tag (almost three hundred dollars). Maybe I'll embellish my next one.

I made one already... BUT, have come up with another idea, so I think I will be making another one..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsberry921 View Post
    I made one already... BUT, have come up with another idea, so I think I will be making another one..

what will the 2nd one look like? btw, what does the first one look like? i laid my fabs out last night for idea #1. now all i have to do is design the mini and come up with a block size/plan.
    My Quiltboard Blog

alright, 'fess up...are you following a pattern or designing your own?

I'm pretty sure I found a pattern/block I would like to make for this swap, but am wondering of others are designing their own?
    maybe I'll have to keep thinking.
    Naomi, Wife to Wayne
    Mom to Sydney (8.07), heaven baby Corey (8.08), Elijah (8.09), Kezia (8.11)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heyuitsme View Post
    alright, 'fess up...are you following a pattern or designing your own?

I'm pretty sure I found a pattern/block I would like to make for this swap, but am wondering of others are designing their own?
    maybe I'll have to keep thinking.
    i am designing my own using pics i saw as inspiration.
    My Quiltboard Blog

Blog Entries
    I am also designing my own. This is one I can have fun with by designing as I go along. Just let my mind go, and see what happens. lol....
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

The first one looks different from the 2nd one LOL, I have to go pick up some grey fabric for the 2nd one. Oops did I say it would have grey?

I am mulit-challenged this month! I ventured into 3 swaps, doll quilt, modern mini quilt, and needle case. I can't wait to see what you made me, I mean come up with for your partner

what will the 2nd one look like? btw, what does the first one look like? i laid my fabs out last night for idea #1. now all i have to do is design the mini and come up with a block size/plan.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsberry921 View Post
    The first one looks different from the 2nd one LOL, I have to go pick up some grey fabric for the 2nd one. Oops did I say it would have grey?

I am mulit-challenged this month! I ventured into 3 swaps, doll quilt, modern mini quilt, and needle case. I can't wait to see what you made me, I mean come up with for your partner
    hahahaha. well you will not be getting a mini with gray fabs from me that's for sure. i have several shades of gray for a yellow, black, gray quilt i need to design but not for this swap. no, i went brights for this one. i think the kaffe fassett inspired one will be great for you. that's what i'm thinking.

i want to do that needle case swap one of these days. i just haven't gotten around to it. i have this wonderfully colorful fabric for the outside fabric though it is not cotton but it sure makes up nice. i have made several needle cases with matching thread catcher with it. one of these days i will get there.

and krystyna tried pulling me into the doll swap. uh uhn. not any time soon.

i am getting much excited with this swap. i look forward to seeing all the creations. yippee!!!!!!!
    My Quiltboard Blog

Blog Entries
    man! i can't believe you're leaving me out! lol! at least one of those is mine!(i hope, i hope!)

golds-- we're in the same 3 swaps! wouldn't it be a hoot if we're partnered up?! i'm also visiting the mystery train from time to time and dropping off donuts and coffee, my specialty--shopping at dunkin donuts!

havplenty-- you would love the doll quilt swap! it is ssooo much fun! and it's gratifying to get something finished in a short amount of time. and make new friends! that's the best part of all these swaps!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancia View Post
    ...havplenty-- you would love the doll quilt swap! it is ssooo much fun! and it's gratifying to get something finished in a short amount of time. and make new friends! that's the best part of all these swaps!!
    nancia i have been in the monthly secret pal swap for 2 years so i have plenty of friends. it is enough to think of things to make each month for that swap. they are fighting over my postage stamp potholders now. i surely don't need another project to think of making such as a doll quilt plus i don't know what i would do with them. i certainly don't want to collect them. nope not for this gurl at this time.

when krystyna took over as host of the doll quilt swap she convinced several sp swap members to come over and join her. what do y'all do with all of those doll quilts anyway?

oh and a question for this group, are you attaching some sort of hanging ability to the back of your minis? i made a button jar mini for the sp swap and forgot to do so. and then someone sent me a mini and also forgot to do so. attaching a hanging option to the quilt just makes it more convenient. not sure if anyone had thought about it.

p.s. here is a not so good pic of the button jar mini i made. i forgot to take a separate pic of it. come to think of it, wouldnt this qualify as a modern mini? i got the idea from a modern quilt website.

Name:  button mini.JPG
Views: 82
Size:  57.3 KB
    Last edited by Havplenty; 05-24-2012 at 09:07 AM.
    My Quiltboard Blog

Blog Entries
    Havplenty, I love it, and it should qualify as a modern quilt, because it's not the typical pieced quilt.

Susan

I would love to participate. :-)
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. ― Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hav4boys View Post
    I would love to participate. :-)
    great send me a pm
    Just passing through!

Blog Entries
    welcome to the swap and to the board hav4boys. i see you are brand spanking new. come have fun with us.
    My Quiltboard Blog

Blog Entries
    Welcome hav4boys

Susan

Blog Entries
    Ok, I think I will swap along with you ladies. I think it will be fun to add a new twist into a mini quilt. I ran across some fabric that will work with this type of quilt.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Blog Entries
    hey, hav4boys and quiltermama! Glad you are with us! someone asked pre-designed or designing our own. i am being inspired by a culture different from mine, using techniques i have not tried.

Blog Entries
    sent you a PM, I'd like to play along with you ladies

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast