Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
NEW UPDATE!!  11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!! >

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

NEW UPDATE!! 11/20 Secret Santa 2013---OPENING DAY-DECEMBER 8 @ 4PM EST!!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by KatsKidinWI View Post
Oh boy, stuff to embelish crazy quilt!!!! No card though, thank you secret santa
So sorry there wasn't a card, of course, I found it laying on my sewing table upon my return from the Post Office. You are very welcome. Whenever I see all the opened gifts, it gives me ideas for next year's SS. I have not ventured into the Crazy Quilt phase and I wasn't really sure what to include in the way of embellishments, so I hope I have included items that will embellish.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:11 PM

Knitette thank you for such eloquent words...words that have been in my heart for weeks.

I have backed away from SS this year because of behavior issues.

Used to be the best thing to wait for all year.

We have always had great clean fun here in the past years; not so much this year.

Broke my heart. I stopped playing the games this year; wasn;t fun.

I mean after all Terri created "Naughty Corner" for me as I like to raid stash at night and get in

trouble and had good fun bringing others in with me.

I loved posting pics and Christmas Carols for everyone.

When you live alone and have no one to share the holidays with this was my go to place.

That changed this year; and it was not a good change.

So again
Knitette; thank you for your words

Today, 04:01 PM #4699
tlrnhi

Moderator <dl class="userinfo_extra"><dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Jan 2007</dd><dt>Location</dt><dd>In the middle of a mess...</dd><dt>Posts</dt><dd>19,754</dd><dt>Feedback Score</dt><dd>16 (100%)</dd></dl>

Knitette....Thank you soooo much for your words. You have said it MUCH better than I could have.
You have hit the nail on the head!

I hope those that are complaining will take heed to what Knitette has said. If you aren't happy with what you rec'd, just bow out of the thread graciously. When you post publicly these negative things, it makes you look as if you aren't a nice person. It's your choice to join. You read the rules and you agreed to them. I stated in the rules that some will get packages better than others and it was nothing to complain about, but here you are complaining. I do suggest that next year, you not join Secret Santa. Honest, it won't break my heart and it won't break the heart of the others that join the fun. The fun is in the giving......it's Christmas time people!

Originally Posted by Knitette
Forgive me if I tread on anyone's toes - you can blame on me being a 'foreigner' if you like, but I've been reading all the posts for the last few days and see there is quite a bit of hurt feelings. Never underestimate the power of the written word.

I haven't been terribly active on this thread. Although I started off in fine fettle, the endless pages of stream of consciousness posts are not for me - I find them too exhausting to keep up with, so decided not to, and only dipped in and out from time to time. My choice.

I know that lack of thread participation by 'swappers' annoyed some people and there was bad feeling which Terri thankfully jumped on. Some 'joking' posts were clearly thinly veiled digs in order to 'encourage' people to join in more. I suspect others felt like me - they simply couldn't/didn't want to keep up. Some days there were hundreds of posts akin to a chat room. This may have intimidated some who may have otherwise joined in. Others just don't post, but prefer to stay in the background. Anyway it's their choice.

Another area of hurt feelings was that not everyone joined in the opening at the same time. Some people need to realise that this is a fun swap and this opening may not be the most important event in their lives............ The rules state "There will be a chat session, so everyone can come and we can open our gifts together." It doesn't say you HAVE to open your gift at that time, although that is a huge part of the fun for many. Bear in mind that this gift bought by someone else, might be the only gift they get this Christmas. It is their choice how they decide to savour it. Others will have simply have forgotten about the parcel that arrived weeks ago. (Mine did last year - the world didn't end.)

Similarly, life gets in the way of people posting on time. I know six or so weeks is a long time. If only all our lives are so perfect that all we have to do is organise one parcel and pop it in the post............. Some people may have to wait for pay day and it may be a large chunk of their budget. I will repeat the previous sentiment when my own parcel wasn't posted on time, 'We do not know what goes on behind closed doors'.

As for not liking what you got sent - words truly fail me. Isn't it about giving, not getting?

I'm nearly ready to jump off my soapbox now. However, one thing I would love to see introduced is that all participants have to send a personal message of thanks to their sender. I was brought up to always send a 'Thank you' letter for any gift I received and I really don't think it's too much for people to write a short private message of thanks. They don't have to participate on the thread, but can if they want to. I too love seeing all the parcels and I choose to post pictures. Sending a short 'Thank you' would circumvent a lot of bad feeling - you may find out why they were late/didn't join in the thread/didn't open 'on time'.

So, in the true spirit of Christmas - it is better to give than receive, thinking of others before ourselves. Surely that's the true intention of the Secret Santa? I know that this may offend some people and may feel as if I'm sermonising. You are free to disagree - it's your choice.
Peace to you all.

Old 12-11-2013, 07:53 PM

Dreamer I love you songs and I hope to hear you singing next year. You did not get me into the hole well not too often. Would you like a glass of Schnapps?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:00 PM

Default MaryJane's Secret Santa gift from BJSmith57.

Hi Everyone...............Mary Jane aka: mjsylvstr has asked me to post her Secret Santa treasures, that she received from her partner BJSmith57. She absolutely loves everything that she received & is so thankful for her special gift. Happy Holidays to all.
Attached Thumbnails mayjanes-secret-santa-gift..jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by dedemac View Post
dreamer i love you songs and i hope to hear you singing next year. You did not get me into the hole well not too often. Would you like a glass of schnapps?
h*u*g*s........................
Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Thank You Teri for being a great host and taking on this labor of love.
I found this swap a couple of years ago and have enjoyed it. I do remember my first year here there were a couple of participants who posted that they wanted to wait to open later, some waiting until Christmas day as it would be the only present they would have that day.
If you want to know if your package arrived you can pm Teri, and ask her as we are instructed to send her a pm when we receive our package, and she is very good about replying. Last year my SS did not put Secret Santa or any other indication it was for this swap. But I pm'd Teri as I was in the monthly swap too, and gave her the address on the package and within a day she pm'd me back that it was indeed my SS package. Also if your sender forgot the card, or to put in the board name, you can pm Teri as to who was your sender and she will let you know.
So speaking of monthly swaps--Lori hosts a monthly secret pal swap and if you are wanting to fill in till next year why don't you check her swap out. You can join in any month you want to, each month is a sign up.

Any way I enjoyed the swap, wasn't able to get on board very often this year but did enjoy getting my package together, enjoyed waiting to open mine-was really excited to see it was from another country and put it away so I wouldn't be too tempted, and managed to remember before 4 est that I could open it that afternoon. Looking forward to next year too.

Last edited by starshine; 12-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 PM

Now THAT looks like a book I'd like!!

Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Hi Everyone...............Mary Jane aka: mjsylvstr has asked me to post her Secret Santa treasures, that she received from her partner BJSmith57. She absolutely loves everything that she received & is so thankful for her special gift. Happy Holidays to all.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 AM

thread.....of course! why didn`t i think of that!
Originally Posted by SulaBug View Post
Old 12-12-2013, 05:14 AM

Hi everyone, just want to add my two-cents.....i had a wonderful time in this swap....the positive outweighs the bit of negative....Teri thank you....I look forward to next years swap.....I didn`t have a chance to participate in the snowball fight but i haven`t forgotten....you`ll see...after the hustle and bustle of the holidays! I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:07 AM

I have loved this SS Swap from the first year I joined. It's really all about the anticipation and excitement of seeing all the love someone has shopped for and
packaged up to sent to you. When I have opened up my SS package each year I can feel the love flow out of it. It is a really special moment, that I savor each year.

I also love all the banter and fun those like Dreamer, Sulabug, Kinette, Nessie, gran of 6, Pat 625 and all the other have provided to brighten up my day.

Life goes by so rapidly so please look for love in each and every day. It out there if you look for it.

Merry Christmas and Love to everyone.

Pat 625 I love my purse and every day I get compliments on how cute it is. Thanks Again.