Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
October 2009 Doll Quilt Swap (Partners Assigned!) - Signup Closed >

October 2009 Doll Quilt Swap (Partners Assigned!) - Signup Closed

October 2009 Doll Quilt Swap (Partners Assigned!) - Signup Closed

Old 11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

When I first saw this suggestion for Jan I'm thinking Iowa is known for corn and hogs. I don't !! want to do corn or hogs!!! Also soybeans. Not much inspiration there. I suppose I could do a Dresden Kaleidoscope with a fabric with corn on it if I could find one!! LOL Have to give this some more thought!!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 AM

I missed a week and so many dqs came in. I'm so very impressed with the last group of doll quilts!!! All of you have done such wonderful work on them!!
Still anticipating mine in the mail - patience is a virtue, right? :D :D :D Oh well, I can't wait!!! So excited to see her!!
Old 11-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
When I first saw this suggestion for Jan I'm thinking Iowa is known for corn and hogs. I don't !! want to do corn or hogs!!! Also soybeans. Not much inspiration there. I suppose I could do a Dresden Kaleidoscope with a fabric with corn on it if I could find one!! LOL Have to give this some more thought!!
Awww come on pigs would be cute!! how about this one? (Not pigs)

http://www.quilterscache.com/I/IowaStarBlock.html
Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Up North
Awww come on pigs would be cute!! how about this one? (Not pigs)

http://www.quilterscache.com/I/IowaStarBlock.html
Hmmm... I will have to give it some thought. I have been saying I need to learn to paper piece. Maybe this is one to practice on. Will have to see. I have my own version of a star I call the Salem Star. It isn't the one I found online but I live in Salem Iowa and I named my star for my little town so how appropriate would that be? I haven't seen this star online but it is probably out there with an original name some where.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 AM

I just googled what California is known for and I got some funny responses amongst the serious ones:

The trail mix state- full of fruits, nuts and flakes
idiotic politics/ The Governator
fake people
sun tans
traffic
earthquakes

I think I'll stick with the positive:
beaches
surfing
sunny weather
Hollywood
palm trees
Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

WOW!! I haven't been getting notifications and haven't had time to realize it, so I've had about 9 pages to catch up on! All the quilts are gorgeous!!! What a talented bunch this is!
Old 11-01-2009, 11:09 AM

Rhonda- corn would be ok what about indian corn, more colorful and you can get fall fabric that is out right now to use for a kaleidiscope(I know I spelled that wrong).
Old 11-01-2009, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Oh how cute. You threw me off for a minute, because I saw Michigan! Then I remembered there is Holland MI!! What a great idea! Who doesn't love tulips?!! You'll have lots of people wanting to be your partner!
I thought about that after I submitted it :lol: and over here there are so many tulip fabrics to choose from! I have been wanting to get some and now I have a reason to! And I hope so what a compliment to have everyone wanting me as a partner :oops: :-)
Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

Rhonda, as a genealogist with a special interest in Ohio, I know that Iowa was a great destination for westward pioneers. Maybe you could do something like a sunbonnet sue, reminiscent of pioneer days! Or do stars reminiscent of the different states that the pioneers arrived from.

But corn and hogs would work too! Make flying pink piggies!!

And if you are from somewhere else, do that. I live in Texas, but I consider VA/DC and Ohio home. So I may do something for those places instead of Texas (which I am NOT fond of) (Don't start all you others who love Texas)
Old 11-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Shelanie
I just googled what California is known for and I got some funny responses amongst the serious ones:
I hadn't thought of that Shelanie. I googled Iowa and this is what I found. Do I know my state or do I know my state! Hmm??

Iowa State is known for its corn and pigs. Iowa leads country in
production of hogs hogs and corn,
---------
Funny one:

If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who
dialed a wrong number, you might live in Iowa ...

And this one below here - I did know but hadn't thought of in this situation. There were Indian camps all around where we live now. My dad and his brothers and father used to find arrowheads and tomahawk heads (rock shaped for the top) all the time when they plowed the fields. My grandpa used to have buckets and buckets of them.

Iowa the 29th state, known as the hawkeye state, is named as a tribute
to chief Black Hawk, leader of the Sac ...

Maybe I could find some American Indian designs. That might be fun!