Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2016 mug rug swap -- colors of autumn

In the beautiful hills of northwest Connecticut.

October 2016 mug rug swap -- colors of autumn

OCTOBER 2016 MUG RUG SWAP — COLORS OF AUTUMN

Welcome to the October 2016 Mug Rug Swap. This month’s theme is: COLORS OF AUTUMN!

So who doesn’t love the colors of Autumn? The reds & oranges & the yellows & greens! It’s my favorite season! If it’s your favorite season — or if you just love those colors — then join us in celebrating the Colors of Autumn by making fabulous mug rugs for our partners! This will be a fun mug rug to make … promise!

What is a mug rug? A mug rug is an item you use to place a cup of coffee, tea or soda on, along with a small snack plate/napkin beside it. It’s approximately 9”x8” or larger so both items will fit. Please do not make it smaller than 9”x 8” (unless your partner tells you specifically that she wants a smaller size), as that is quite small for both items as it is!

1. You will be assigned a partner. This is not a secret pal swap. Each partner will contact the other partner for addresses. You are encouraged to talk to each other and find out little things about them so you can make a special gift just for them. Then think about this month’s theme — COLORS OF AUTUMN. How can you turn that theme into a special mug rug? Jump into your stash & find those beautiful fall colors to make a special mug rug? Run to the nearest quilt shop because you can’t find exactly what you need? Ahh …. decisions, decisions! Once you find those beautiful colors, will you appliqué or paper-piece or just go with regular piecing? Will you make your mug rug rectangular, circular, square, hexagonal? How you choose to make your mug rug is up to you, but make it with love & pride!

2. The mug rug must be made with 100% quilter’s cotton, with a nice cotton batting in between to protect furniture from possible damage due to heat/cold. Use a binding method you are comfortable with, or practice & learn a new binding technique! Also, the mug rug must be quilted. Remember, this is a gift you are making for someone. Be proud of your work & do your best. And be kind about what you receive. If you have any issues, please work it out with your partner first, before contacting me; communication is key. This board is for all of us to make friends & have fun.

3. You must send your name, address, e-mail address and phone number to me, ctyankee, by September 30th. Deadline to send out swaps is October 20th & don’t forget to send me notice, with tracking number, that you have sent to your partner. Any delays in mailing must be shared with me prior to the deadline of October 20th. I want everyone to receive a partner’s trade. We should not have to request angels. Again, communication is important. You can be forgiven if something comes up & you notify your partner & me prior to the deadline. But if you don’t communicate & don’t send out a mug rug to your partner, you will be locked out of swapping with this group and negative feedback will insure other swap groups know you didn't send. Also, if your partner has not sent to you by the deadline & you have not heard from her, please let me know. I’m pretty easy-going about things, but there is rarely a good reason for non-communication. If your partner has not communicated with you at all, let me know ‘way before the deadline so we can possibly avoid a problem later.

4. Also, please let me know if you can mail internationally! This is important, as we have quite a few international swappers who want to join us, & I don’t want anybody to be left out. So if you can ship internationally — even just one time — that would make it more fun for our overseas & Canadian swappers!

5. You are free to include little gifties with your mug rug, handmade or store-bought; it’s up to you. But you are only obligated to send a mug rug. Nothing else is required in this swap.

6. Any questions? Contact me immediately and I will help get you started.

7. Please take a photo before you ship your package to your partner, just in case she cannot post a photo. We all love to see photos! But don’t post it until you know your partner has received your package & that she is unable to post a photo herself.

8. Be sure to label the outside of the package with the name of the swap & your swap name. Many people sign up for more than one swap & it can be confusing to the recipient in trying to figure out which swap it came from.

9. And most of all — just have fun!

SIGN UP TODAY! Send me a PM with your name, address, e-mail address & phone number for emergency use only. If you have a preference of what you receive, just communicate that with your partner. Names will be given out on October 1st, the latest. You are required by the board to send things you sign up for, or risk not having the ability to swap again in other swaps. Again,
    ​My soul is fed with needle & thread.

WOHOO..... Sign me up for OCTOBER swap
    catsnquiltsgotogether

Please sign me up for the October swap. Hopefully all will go well in October.
    "A Man who never made a mistake, never made anything"........author unknown but a favourite quote of my late FIL.

sign me up
    a quilter, a baker, a picture-taker

Blog Entries
    I need to get my September mug rug done first. Then if I have time will sign up. Being diligent.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Good plan, QuilterMomma!

Looks like we're off to a good start here!

Blog Entries
    I am back in for October.
    Boom 12 - Short & Sweet

sent my info, sign me up!

I'm in for this month too
    Pat

We have a nice group already signed up for this month

1. Jan Rutherford
    2. terriamn
    3. Betty J.
    4. ljdugas
    5. CookieZenmilk
    6. ctyankee
    7. lovethemgrays
    8. vovoa
    9. dotcomdtcm
    10. annt59
    11. Rosemary Attaway
    12. nhnative

There is still plenty of time to sign up. Deadline is September 31.

By the way, do I see any hands for sending international??

I am off to a good start! I am well underway with the making of my Colours of autumn Mug Mat. The embroidery is almost done, just have to back, quilt the front to the backing and hand sew the binding.

I need an international swapper as I am an Aussie swapper.
    "A Man who never made a mistake, never made anything"........author unknown but a favourite quote of my late FIL.

Betty J -- you have me beat! I haven't even started to think about what I want to make! I'm trying to finish a baby quilt for one of my daughter's friends (the top is done -- yay!) & I've been working on my daughter's queen-sized quilt for longer than I will admit to, but methinks a mug rug can be squeezed in between. Hopefully this weekend!

Ladies, I still need 2 swappers to send international. I believe those 2 people already swapped with each other for mug rugs.

Also, there is still time to sign up for Colors of Autumn.

Here is an updated list of participants:

1. Jan Rutherford
    2. Betty J
    3. ljdugas
    4. CookieZenmilk
    5. lovethemgreys
    6. vovoa
    7. dotcomdtcm
    8. annt59
    9. Rosemary Attaway
    10. nhnative
    11. hearthhush
    12. CarolinePaj

Someone had to drop out this month, leaving us with an odd number, so I took my name off the list to even things out. No big deal. I'm fine as long as everyone who wants to join gets their name in before the deadline.

And I still need international swappers!

Pamela, sign me up for this month. I sent you a PM.
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Blog Entries
    Count me in.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Although I'm not in the swap, I do believe sign-ups end tomorrow...Sept. only has 30 days...lolo

Yes, Jean, that's true. We only have till the end of today for signups.

We now have 14 people signed up. Two more swappers have been added to the above list.

13. klaws
    14. QuilterMomma

And I have one person willing to send international. Anyone else? This appears to be my biggest dilemma! Help me out here, ladies!

Count me in for October mug rug swap. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
    Yes, Jean, that's true. We only have till the end of today for signups.

We now have 14 people signed up. Two more swappers have been added to the above list.

13. klaws
    14. QuilterMomma

And I have one person willing to send international. Anyone else? This appears to be my biggest dilemma! Help me out here, ladies!
    I am happy to send International.

I lost my master list of who was paired up with whom (it was on the computer, too!) since I took over this swap, but I did check back to last month to make sure no one got the same partner.

So here's the list of partners for Colors of Autumn:

CarolinePaj -- klaws
    Betty J -- ctyankee
    dotcomdtcm -- cocoa
    lovethemgrays -- hearthhush
    Rosemary Attaway -- ljdugas
    QuilterMomma -- Jan Rutherford
    annt59 -- CookieZenmilk
    nonnative -- cuppy

And a warm welcome to hearthhush, who is new to us! Welcome!

So get those sewing machines humming, ladies!

I have contacted my partner, Favorite colors of Fall...umh.

Yippee!!! I contacted my partner. Waiting for a return answer.
    Karen

I am not a fabricaholic. I am the curator of an extensive private textile collection.

Contacted my partner just waiting for answer'

Okay, I'm re-submitting the list of partners. Apparently, there are a couple of errors in the list. I know you ladies are smart enough to know what I meant, but let me make those corrections anyway. Right now I see 2. As I go down the list, maybe there will be more! (I blame it on the auto-correct feature & not my spelling, of course!)

CarolinePaj -- klaws
    Betty J -- ctyankee
    dotcomdtcm -- vovoa
    lovethemgrays -- hearthhush
    Rosemary Attaway -- ljdugas
    QuilterMomma -- Jan Rutherford
    annt59 -- CookieZenmilk
    nhnative -- cuppy

Okay, let's hope the computer doesn't make any more changes on its own! (It thinks it's smarter than me, apparently!)

I haven't heard from my partner yet. But I know she's been busy with her table runner swaps.
    Karen

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast