Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010 >

Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010

Potholder Swap - Signup by October 31, 2010

Old 09-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee
I think you could say mine are more soft pads for putting flowers or trinkets on. I couldn't get to the store for ironing board fabric so I used two thicknesses of batting and that might not be enough for picking up hot things, but they are kinda pretty.
I think they sound lovely. :) I've got some cute ceramic bowls and stuff that need some company should I end up getting yours!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt
I just found the Mickey Mouse potholder....SO CUTE!
DD
Picture please??
Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 AM

I made mine with 1 layer of insulbrite, and 2 layers of cotton warm & natural 1 on each side of the insulbrite, I tested the material when I made dinner to make sure it would work with the heat. I was able to remove the pan with no heat, and even holding the hot pan(for about 3-4 minutes) the material only just started to get warm to the touch but not hot.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 AM

Umm, I have a question - should the fabric for these potholders be prewashed? Because mine wasn't (I've only finished one) and I just wanted to know if I should wash it before I mail it?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Umm, I have a question - should the fabric for these potholders be prewashed? Because mine wasn't (I've only finished one) and I just wanted to know if I should wash it before I mail it?
I didn't prewash any of mine; I never do. It wasn't stated and I never gave it a thought. They might shrink a little but that adds the touch of "age" to them, as it does to quilts, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:33 PM

I want in too......I'll make some and will let you know how many as soon as I start putting them together. So far everyone's is looking good.

My potholders are all getting stained and shabby looking and could use some new ones. I even have some made from the loop thingies that my kids made me when they were small and they are now both in their 30's.....talk about worn out potholders.lol
Old 09-15-2010, 12:11 AM

No need. If that's important to somebody, they can wash 'em when they recieve them. Mine are prewashed, but that's just because it's become a habit for me to wash all fabric before putting it in my stash.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by gramqlts
I want in too......I'll make some and will let you know how many as soon as I start putting them together. So far everyone's is looking good.

My potholders are all getting stained and shabby looking and could use some new ones. I even have some made from the loop thingies that my kids made me when they were small and they are now both in their 30's.....talk about worn out potholders.lol

LOL I remember making those loop thingies too. They always had such ugly neon colors though. Anyway, you're in. Welcome.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by MegsAnn
No need. If that's important to somebody, they can wash 'em when they recieve them. Mine are prewashed, but that's just because it's become a habit for me to wash all fabric before putting it in my stash.
I don't wash fabric because it takes so long to cut off all of the strings that end up on 3 sides and I would end up ironing for hours. Everyone I've given quilts/projects to say they like the wrinkly, old look once they wash them. Flannel is the exception since it shrinks so much.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by gramqlts

My little brother and two sisters made me a couple of those for my birthday. They're so cute, lol.