Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/2014-birthday-swap-2-5-sign-up-now-t240424.html)

KathyM 08-02-2014 06:00 AM

Since my birthday is tomorrow, I thought I'd tell you a little about me today. This week I had vein work on my legs done, so I've been in bed all week. I did do some crocheting in bed. I'm also starting to make 5 flowergirl dresses for my son's wedding the end of September.
1.) Board name/real first name: KathyM - Kathy
2.) How long have you been quilting - bought my first sewing machine at the age of 13 from babysitting money from that summer, now I'll be 59
3.) Favorite quilting tool: they have come up with sooo many new gadgets, rotary cutter & mat
4.) Favorite quilt you have made & why: I have made several Grandmother's Garden with the hexies, I do enjoy hand sewing, I usually don't like making a pattern twice.
5.) Favorite color: I seem to go for the darker colors, if you look at my stash you don't find many lights.
6.) Favorite flower: anything that blooms
7.) Best advice you can give: enjoy your project or you won't like it when it's done

Havplenty 08-02-2014 12:15 PM

Happy birthday to the August ladies.

4 Attachment(s)
Happy birthday to the two August birthday gals. Kathy I hope you get to do something enjoyable for your special day today. My packages went in the mail today.

Barb thank you for the game prize. I did receive it.

I keep forgetting to get on for the Tuesday tips so this can be either a late this week Tuesday tip or an early next week Tuesday tip.

I found I had 5 bags of fabric scraps along with a bin full of scraps so I decided I needed to start on some string blocks but did not want to use a foundation so I taped off an 8.5" block (size I am making)area on my cutting mat to use as my "foundation" guide for my strips. As I am sewing my strips together I measure them against my taped block template to make sure the size is correct for the area to be covered and then I sew away. Alas no paper to remove.

scraps overload
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486031[/ATTACH]

Tip
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486032[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486033[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]486034[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 08-02-2014 12:44 PM

Nice string blocks, Havplenty!

KathyM, nice to learn some things about you. We are the same age and have been sewing about the same amount of time! Hope you have a great birthday tomorrow.

Havplenty 08-02-2014 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This pic shows better how I am using the tape square to measure.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486037[/ATTACH]

Also since I am working with all of these scraps I started sewing strips together for this Legos quilt. I figure I might as well use as many scraps as possible.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486042[/ATTACH]

trish b 08-02-2014 02:35 PM

Happy Birthday to the August Birthday Girls.

Havplenty, Your Legos quilt is sure a great use of many scraps and the string blocks are fun. I make my string blocks in a similar fashion.

sewbizgirl 08-02-2014 02:44 PM

Wow, that legos quilt is amazing.... looks like thousands of pieces. It's a masterpiece of scrap quilting.

cindynvb 08-03-2014 03:02 AM

I thought I had sent my August candies, but since no one has posted them as received, I guess I didn't!! OOPS!! Sending tomorrow, sorry to be late.
How many do we have left to send?? Anyone know?
have a great day,

Janice McC 08-03-2014 04:12 AM

Yes. Two for August then 17, Sept through Feb. I just counted them up the other day to make sure I was done cutting and packaging. Happily, I am!!!

Originally Posted by cindynvb (Post 6829510)
How many do we have left to send?? Anyone know?
have a great day,

Janice McC 08-03-2014 04:18 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATHYM! Have a wonderful day!

sewbizgirl 08-03-2014 06:07 AM

Happy Birthday, Kathy!

Yes, we have 17 left after August... we are about halfway through.