Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   April FQ (Fat Quarter) Swap (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/april-fq-fat-quarter-swap-t217632.html)

sewellie 04-11-2013 09:59 PM

I love the butterfly, wonder how it's made. Is there a pattern? Wish I could have joined this month, but don't have any batiks. Wasn't sure what a batik means and still don't. Hopefully I can join next month.

SheriR 04-11-2013 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie (Post 5994953)
I love the butterfly, wonder how it's made. Is there a pattern? Wish I could have joined this month, but don't have any batiks. Wasn't sure what a batik means and still don't. Hopefully I can join next month.

I'm not sure how to describe batik. Here is what my dictionary says:

a technique of hand-dyeing fabrics by using wax as a dye repellent to cover parts of a design, dyeing the uncovered fabric with a color or colors, and dissolving the wax in boiling water.
the fabric so decorated.
verb (used with object)
to hand-dye (material) using the technique of batik.

As you see by some shown they have lots of color and design. What I like most about batiks, besides the colors, is they usually don't have a right or wrong side. I suggest going to a quilt store and seeing for yourself. But I warn you, you'll fall in love!

auntpiggylpn 04-11-2013 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SheriR (Post 5994958)
I'm not sure how to describe batik. Here is what my dictionary says:

a technique of hand-dyeing fabrics by using wax as a dye repellent to cover parts of a design, dyeing the uncovered fabric with a color or colors, and dissolving the wax in boiling water.
the fabric so decorated.
verb (used with object)
to hand-dye (material) using the technique of batik.

As you see by some shown they have lots of color and design. What I like most about batiks, besides the colors, is they usually don't have a right or wrong side. I suggest going to a quilt store and seeing for yourself. But I warn you, you'll fall in love!

Here is a video showing Moda batiks are made. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UDsD5sQOF_A

Elisabrat 04-12-2013 05:32 AM

those fat quarters going to a 9 and a 4 could be MINE I have both of those numbers in mine.. tricky tricky you just threw the 6 in to tease me... I don't have a 6. can't fool me I am not worried yuppers mine are in the mail! yahoo! I think this afternoon I will saunter down as fast as I can to the mail box (uh is that considered sauntering if your doing it sorta speedy?).. and I absolutely know my fq's will be waiting for me saying take me home take me home.. I cant even wait when I am there I always open my packages in front of my postal lady we oggle all the goodies I get from quilitingboard members together. she is always wishing to take home this one and that one lol.. get your hands off those girl those are MINE and le brat does not share. ok she does but rarely. those are MINE.

sikesjj 04-12-2013 06:42 AM

Brat, are you joining the new mug rug swap? I have one started that I think you would like, I am trying my hand at joining quilting and hand embroidery work.

MaryMo 04-12-2013 07:27 AM

maybe tlambing has a pattern or other suggestions .... but from what I can tell it is made of feathers (in my case they are blue) with gold painting, the body looks to be made of paper mache type material with antennae - floral stamens painted gold. There is a clip on the back for attachment. It is fabulous .... and Brenda, it does have the look of batik.

jaba 04-12-2013 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]407545[/ATTACH] Received these lovelies from RetiredFireChief yesterday. Love them and all are different from the ones I have. Perfect. Thank you so much for your choices and for the extra FQ Linda, Now I need to make something pretty.

Yosamitesa 04-12-2013 08:31 AM

Everyone's FQ's are so beautiful!!! :)

ljdugas31 04-12-2013 09:55 AM

Got some beautiful fq from jaba!!!! Thank you so much!!!! I LOVE THE Tisue holder!!! Thanks so much jan!!!!

tracibug 04-12-2013 10:07 AM

Oooooooooh this one could be me.....

Originally Posted by Andrea19711 (Post 5994736)
My packages went out in the mail today...both to places that have a 9, a 4, and a 6 in the zip code. ..