Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   April Secret Pal Swap Closes March 30th noon (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/april-secret-pal-swap-closes-march-30th-noon-t183684.html)

reeskylr 04-11-2012 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 5133254)
Hello all. I am thinking of joining a SP swap in a couple of months but have a question - how on earth do you keep the cost down to $10 with all the cool stuff that is going in these boxes?

I don't think I could do it even visiting the really good dollar store. I'm in BC, CANADA and things are expensive.

Do you give items from your personal collections, garage sales etc as well as new items and fabric from your stashes?

Any tips would be welcome so I can start collecting. :)

Thanks a lot.

Kathy

Heh. Well, yeah I collect things as I go along too. I give from my stash. I usually buy one or two things that are ten dollars or add up to ten dollars. I don't count the candy. HA. I also make things for the SP. A few people stick to the ten dollar rule, but that is up to the swapper too. Lori can't control if they spend over the ten. Things are so spendy these days that if someone wants a certain ruler or such, and it is 12.00. I'll get it for them. :)

Krystyna 04-11-2012 11:13 AM

Brenda, I just love all the spring colors in your goodies from Debbie. That little pin cushion is especially adorable!

quiltymom 04-11-2012 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by reeskylr (Post 5133257)
Heh. Well, yeah I collect things as I go along too. I give from my stash. I usually buy one or two things that are ten dollars or add up to ten dollars. I don't count the candy. HA. I also make things for the SP. A few people stick to the ten dollar rule, but that is up to the swapper too. Lori can't control if they spend over the ten. Things are so spendy these days that if someone wants a certain ruler or such, and it is 12.00. I'll get it for them. :)

I'm the same way!!! Mine usually does go alttle over the $10.00 Then just add extras not in cluded in $10.00

Krystyna 04-11-2012 11:28 AM

Hi Kathy,
I hope you do join us. Some of the packages you've seen this month do seem to be over the top -- but I happen to know that they come from the homes of people with huge stashes of goodies (also known as fabric/thread/notions hoarders).
I personally collect things as I go along and keep them in a big bin specifically for the swaps. I am someone who never, not ever, shops without coupons. You'd be surprised what you can get. Joann and Michaels both of which often have time limited coupons for a good percent off - 25%-30% - and that covers discounted items too. So you can get little gifty things for well under $1.
I also include things that I make for my pal. I have an embroidery machine and sometimes like to make something using it. Since I sew for a living, I have a scary big stash of fabric, so I can augment my purchases from my stash. I also shop estate sales and if you hit one that is the estate of a quilter you're in luck.
I've found that the most expensive thing in the box is candy - but HOORAY! Right after Easter and Valentine's Day you can pick up excellent candy at a steep discount at places like CVS. The trick is hiding it from hubby so he doesn't eat it.
Also, the members of my quilting guild donate books and magazines that other members can buy - 10 cents for magazines and $1 for books! You can't beat that!
So be creative and you'll find you can keep it to under $10 even at Canadian prices. I look forward to having you among us!

Hello all. I am thinking of joining a SP swap in a couple of months but have a question - how on earth do you keep the cost down to $10 with all the cool stuff that is going in these boxes?

I don't think I could do it even visiting the really good dollar store. I'm in BC, CANADA and things are expensive.

Do you give items from your personal collections, garage sales etc as well as new items and fabric from your stashes?

Thanks a lot.

Kathy

brenda21 04-11-2012 11:30 AM

Thanks a lot.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,
The swap is a lot of fun and there are great ways to put together your box. Not sure if Canada has a Michaels or not, but, if they do, Michaels has dollar isles with great goodies and they change them up all the time. Stuff like notecards, pens, journals, picture frames, emery boards, buttons, little seasonal items, etc. Walmart is always good for pins, needles, buttons, etc. Walmart also has the section near the pharmacy with travel size items that are usually only a dollar-hand sanitizer, tissues, etc. You can find neat stuff at garage sales, second hand stores, dollar stores, etc. Then there is the your own stash if you have the fabric color the person likes, etc. or if you have patterns or quilt books that you are finished with, pass them on! Some people also will send items that they may have previously received but know that they won't use, so they can send to someone else who will. People also make things and it doesn't have to be something quilted. People make jewelry, scarves, book marks, hand totes/bags, knitted or crocheted items, etc. You can also buy something large and split it up among your pals. For instance, if you purchase a more expensive type of tea than usual that costs $12 or $15, you just put three or four of the tea bags in each persons package, not the whole container all to one person. I have also found some great deals here on the board from members who are selling fabrics or patterns or books very inexpensively...I stock up on them throughout the year...I think that many of us do that and have a "stash" that we just add to when we find something, especially on sale! haha...the swappers on here are a great group and appreciate just about anything you do for them....it's all to have fun and get a surprise in your mailbox! Hope you join us:thumbup:

works4me 04-11-2012 11:45 AM

Thanks. Some of the things I have thought of but forgot completely about travel-size items. I only shop at Michael's when I have a 50% coupon. Next time my girlfriend and I head to Washington state we will have to drop in on Joann and Michael's (sounds like a married couple) and see what goodies there are to be found.

I also was not sure if shopping estate and garage sales was frowned upon but, I guess if the item is in excellent condition, it is OK.

I will now add a different element to my store browsing.

Yes, I can add handmade items as I do a lot of crafts besides quilting. It's also a good excuse to try my hand making a pot holder or tote finally. Test for me, then item for SP.

Will probably join in June unless I am truly inspired in time for May.

Thanks a lot, keep those ideas coming. :)

brenda21 04-11-2012 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna (Post 5133299)
Brenda, I just love all the spring colors in your goodies from Debbie. That little pin cushion is especially adorable!

The pincushion that she made really is cute BUT the jelly is FANTASTIC haha! Going to have to hide it in the back of the frigerator so DH doesn't get to it:cool:

greenini 04-11-2012 11:56 AM

Kathy,
I am not sure if Tuesday Morning is in Canada, but they usually have quilty things on sale a lot from Fons & Porter, say or they'll have things like freezer paper patterns. The last time I went they didn't have too much, but sometimes they're a bonanza!

I also pull fabric from stash and from yard or estate sales or thrift stores I'll buy kits that are things to cut out, sew and make an animal and I'll include those sometimes. I have also picked up things like stamps to include for a scrap booker. You can include Frixions pens that you buy at regular stores, those can be used for marking. If you have an extra package of machine needles, throw those in or cutting blades. You can get those from Joann's or Hancocks with coupons or when they have sales. Get on their email lists and they will send you sale brochures every week, plus coupons.

We don't count the postage either, so that helps. The postage for a medium box is over the $10 limit! And it's true, if you get things you can't use, most folks don't mind if you pass them on, tho some folks can get a bit touchy about passing on hand made things.

I hope you do find you can join us, the more the merrier!

And I'm still waiting for my package!:)

reeskylr 04-11-2012 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by works4me (Post 5133365)
Thanks. Some of the things I have thought of but forgot completely about travel-size items. I only shop at Michael's when I have a 50% coupon. Next time my girlfriend and I head to Washington state we will have to drop in on Joann and Michael's (sounds like a married couple) and see what goodies there are to be found.

I also was not sure if shopping estate and garage sales was frowned upon but, I guess if the item is in excellent condition, it is OK.

I will now add a different element to my store browsing.

Yes, I can add handmade items as I do a lot of crafts besides quilting. It's also a good excuse to try my hand making a pot holder or tote finally. Test for me, then item for SP.

Will probably join in June unless I am truly inspired in time for May.

Thanks a lot, keep those ideas coming. :)

lol, nah, there are pattern collectors on here that will take gently used magazines and patterns. :) Also, if you can do it in Canada, sign up for JoAnn's flyer, then you will get the percentage off coupons in email or mail, that way you can have them when you come down to WA state. Thrift stores are so much fun to shop in also. :)

works4me 04-11-2012 02:47 PM

I used to get the Joann flyer but it always arrived well after the sale was over and coupons expired. Plus, if you don't go in there frequently, they cut you off. So, I check for sales anytime I know we will be going down. Maybe I will see if they will email me.

There is a great thrift store here that always has a lot of craft items. Unfortunately, they are only open Thursdays from 10-2. I work Monday to Thursday 6-4:30 so that sure doesn't work. Good excuse to check out a couple thrift stores that have been on my radar for a while, though. Who knows, I may also find some Halloween stuff for me. lol

Most likely I will see everyone here in June. Thanks for the assistance.