Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   BOOM 13 - Sign-ups Closed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-13-sign-ups-closed-t246660.html)

Bee Beatty 05-29-2014 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay (Post 6736584)
Got mine packaged with no problem...38 of the suckers! :)

;) :) and I will post a photo of the finished quilt the 3rd week of June!

Bee Beatty 05-29-2014 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bee Beatty (Post 6736590)
;) :) and I will post a photo of the finished quilt the 3rd week of June!

My Boom 11 quilt that is! :) :)

Janice McC 05-29-2014 05:08 PM

Joan, the envelope you usually use will NOT stand up well to 38 f8s. If you want to ship to me in that envelope, that's up to you but I don't recommend it. The padded usps flat rate envelope is available free at usps.com and costs $5.95 to ship. it's what i plan to use to ship back to everyone. if i get envelopes that I feel will not hold up, I will not ship. if you send me two of the cardboard legal envelopes, I will ship each group separately but i will not ship back to you in a single cardboard envelope because i feel 38 f8s are pushing the reliability of that envelope beyond its limits imho.

BTW, anyone who has my address already, please do NOT ship until after the groups are finalized. i'll send an email on Monday with instructions and my address.

Thank you to everyone for cooperating!

QUOTE=joanelizbay;6736514]I just buy the legal size envelope. Only costs about 15 cents more.[/QUOTE]

moonrise 05-29-2014 05:25 PM

Yeah, those cardboard flat rate envelopes have given me a lot of trouble. I don't know if it's the Georgia heat, the humidity, or what, but the flaps always seem to pop open. The adhesive they use just doesn't hold up. On top of that, the cardboard tears easily.

Just recently I ordered some charm packs from an eBay seller, and she shipped in a cardboard mailer. The package arrived in one of those "Oops, we're sorry" bags from the post office (I call them "body bags" - LOL!), because the envelope had torn open and the charm packs fell out. Luckily one of the post offices that they passed through along the way managed to round all the charm packs up, so nothing was lost.

Anyway, I just order the padded mailers now. They're much more durable and the adhesive stays stuck. And they seem to hold a lot more stuff. :)

terriamn 05-29-2014 06:57 PM

Those of you that cut from yardage does it matter if I cut the fabric 18" wide and from that cut the 11" or am I better off cutting off a 11" strip of fabric and cutting that into the 18" . Sounds confusing to me, hope you understand what I mean
terriamn

Billi 05-29-2014 07:14 PM

Well I have all of mine cut and packaged. Just waiting to go out.

Janice you have me in both groups right? Also I don't have your address have I missed something? Or overlooking it somehow?

Janice McC 05-30-2014 03:23 AM

Hi Billi, you are in both groups. I will send an email on Monday with my address. Nobody should ship yet as the sign-ups remain open through Sunday, and I'm expecting a few more changes to happen before then. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Billi (Post 6736711)
Well I have all of mine cut and packaged. Just waiting to go out.

Janice you have me in both groups right? Also I don't have your address have I missed something? Or overlooking it somehow?

Janice McC 05-30-2014 03:32 AM

I usually wash, press, cut off selvages, then cut 18 inch wof strips and then measure the strip into 4 equal pieces. It often comes up short of the 11 inches due to shrinkage. However, if doing so will leave me with 4 pieces WAY short of 11 inches, I'll cut 3 full pieces and save the 4th smaller piece for myself. Does that make sense?

Originally Posted by terriamn (Post 6736702)
Those of you that cut from yardage does it matter if I cut the fabric 18" wide and from that cut the 11" or am I better off cutting off a 11" strip of fabric and cutting that into the 18" . Sounds confusing to me, hope you understand what I mean
terriamn

Janice McC 05-30-2014 03:42 AM

That's my experience as well. Generally I will reinforce even the padded envelopes at the flap but with the cardboard ones, often I reinforce every edge and spend way too much time doing that and I'm still not comfortable if I think they are overstuffed.

Originally Posted by moonrise (Post 6736628)
Yeah, those cardboard flat rate envelopes have given me a lot of trouble. I don't know if it's the Georgia heat, the humidity, or what, but the flaps always seem to pop open. The adhesive they use just doesn't hold up. On top of that, the cardboard tears easily... Anyway, I just order the padded mailers now. They're much more durable and the adhesive stays stuck. And they seem to hold a lot more stuff. :)

Billi 05-30-2014 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Janice McC (Post 6736921)
Hi Billi, you are in both groups. I will send an email on Monday with my address. Nobody should ship yet as the sign-ups remain open through Sunday, and I'm expecting a few more changes to happen before then. Thanks!

Thank you, I figured there may be some changes I was just making sure I had not missed something important.