Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/)
-   -   Boom 23, Night Owls 3 month group (https://www.quiltingboard.com/member-swaps-round-row-robins-f11/boom-23-night-owls-3-month-group-t305869.html)

ibex94 09-15-2019 06:12 AM

MJP, what a precious mom! I love that she has your quilt to touch for luck right there!

ibex94 09-15-2019 06:17 AM

Janice -- I use my kitchen table so I'm useless with regards to a permanent piece of furniture for a cutting surface. I build up and break down daily. Keeps that area neat but sometimes I have to track down where I put a certain piece of fabric, lol. Good luck in your quest for the perfect permanent cutting surface.

jaba 09-15-2019 07:11 AM

I ordered my mat from Rhino. If you Google extra large cutting mat their web site comes right up. You can custom order any size, with or without the grid lines, to fit the space you want. It is a self healing mat and I like it just as well as the Olfa, etc. It's probably 5 to 6 years old and still like new. I have a piece of 3/4" plywood, 4'x8' that fits on top of a pool table. My mat is 35"x71", green in color and with grid lines and I love it. You might check it out Janice and see if it would work for you.

terriamn 09-15-2019 07:18 AM

Janice my cutting table is also in a corner. First I would say make sure cabinet is correct height for you. Mine is a work table from my old job, dh adjusted the legs so the height was great. Then we bought a thick fatigue mat to lay in front, making the table that much to short. The top has 2 cutting mats butted up to each other, not the prettiest of arrangements but works great.

MJP, so glad your Mom bounced back and is in a facility you are happy with. My sister lived 2 blocks from Mom’s assisted living and I lived 4 hours away, I was the nice one. Always felt bad for my sister.

PamelaOry 09-15-2019 07:38 AM

My cutting table is a twin bed with a plywood board top my husband made for it on top. I ordered the largest Martelli cutting mat for it and have plenty of room for all my cutting needs. I can easily cut yardage and there is room for my accuquilt and rulers etc. around the edges of the mat.

annt59 09-15-2019 11:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are my 2 blocks for Cheesehead and Irish Mom. Hope they are what you like.

IrishMom 09-15-2019 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by annt59 (Post 8301868)
Here are my 2 blocks for Cheesehead and Irish Mom. Hope they are what you like.

-- A Christmas Tree!!!! That background fabric is perfect with the green fabric! Thank you so so much!

Cheesehead 09-15-2019 04:14 PM

That's a very pretty block you made AnnT59, but that block is for Suzisew. My fabric was little pink roses.

Cheese

sewbizgirl 09-15-2019 05:27 PM

Beautiful blocks, AnnT! I love the tree! The realbark trunk and the background fabric are great with the tree.

Janice McC 09-15-2019 06:11 PM

mjpEncinitas, I'm sorry to hear about your mother but you seem to have it under as much control as is possible. She's not ready to quit life yet. You are welcome to take the entire time period for the blocks. :)

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas (Post 8301724)
Sorry I’ve been out of touch. My 97 year old mother ended up in the hospital and I had to fly back to NY the next day.
i thought I’d be planning a funeral but she has 9 lives. ... Janice I’m going to have to take the full time on these blocks.

Zozee, your comment is right on. I had been thinking I needed to cover the whole surface but this isn't necessary. I will be using one end of it for my portable machine. (This new set up will be in the cabin. I have a loft to work in but it does double, triple, quadruple duty depending upon the weekend.) The table will be movable to a corner when not in use but the idea of simply being able to walk completely around the table to cut larger pieces, not terribly big at 60x25, is thrilling. It's narrow at 25 so I may keep looking but even at that, the length is good.

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 8301653)
Janice, I'm not a Night Owl, but have an interest in your question. Are you thinking you need or want to cover the entire surface with cutting mats? I'm not sure it's necessary. I have one of those white craft tables that have fold-down sides (which I never fold down). Guessing the top surface is about 60x42, based on the fact that I use the biggest Olfa mat like yours (I'm too tired to go upstairs and measure). Since I never cut more than a yard at a time, and usually much less, I have never needed more mat space. I like having the plain, uncovered space for stuff like a lamp, scrap keepers, note pads, pattern for reference, a place to set my blade, etc.

Jaba, I'll check out Rhino.

Originally Posted by jaba (Post 8301773)
I ordered my mat from Rhino. If you Google extra large cutting mat their web site comes right up. You can custom order any size, with or without the grid lines, to fit the space you want. It is a self healing mat and I like it just as well as the Olfa, etc. It's probably 5 to 6 years old and still like new. I have a piece of 3/4" plywood, 4'x8' that fits on top of a pool table. My mat is 35"x71", green in color and with grid lines and I love it. You might check it out Janice and see if it would work for you.

I tried breaking down my sewing area in the beginning of piecing, but it was pretty much a catastrophe for me daily. It stopped me from working at all a lot of the time. Even if the area isn't huge, it will be dedicated to quilting. This too chest is quite similar to the piece DH wants me to try: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-56...BKXD/309192705 I'm not wedded to this but his efforts have certainly started the ideas flowing.

Originally Posted by ibex94 (Post 8301757)
Janice -- I use my kitchen table so I'm useless with regards to a permanent piece of furniture for a cutting surface. I build up and break down daily. Keeps that area neat but sometimes I have to track down where I put a certain piece of fabric, lol. Good luck in your quest for the perfect permanent cutting surface.

Cheesehead, thanks for the head's up. :)

Originally Posted by Cheesehead (Post 8301937)
That's a very pretty block you made AnnT59, but that block is for Suzisew. My fabric was little pink roses.

Cheese